Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just got a new parrotlet and she's been in quarantine for a week so far to protect my existing three parrotlets. According to the breeder she's 9 weeks but I suspect she may be closer to 7 or 8 weeks. Regardless, she's fully weaned and has been doing amazingly well. She's fairly tame and is a quick learner.

Although quarantine is giving me a chance to bond with her before she meets the other birds, I can tell that she really doesn't like being stuck in a room all by herself away from everyone. I'm doing as much as I can to spend as much time with her as possible but juggling the separation is a little taxing. I've found that the recommended time for quantarine varies quite a bit. Does anyone have any ideas about the ideal length of time? So far she's not showing any signs of illness. I'd like to get her in for an exam but my preferred vet is currently emergency-only becuase of the pandemic. Any suggestions for a smoother quarantine?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi Bluewing! Congratulations on getting such a beautiful little girl! What is her name?

I am glad to hear that she is in quarantine. My vet told me that people who do not quarantine sometimes have birds that die young because of a hidden disease that they contacted. You should quarantine for at least 30 days, but longer if you can manage it. I personally would go for at least 45 days and aim for 60 days. I know that in your case, that is hard, but preventing illness is easier than treating it. You might check with your avian vet to see what they suggest.

Just having a regular daily routine might make it easier, like visit her when you can, but making sure to always feed and handle her needs LAST to help prevent the spread of disease. Your baby will be fine. Keep some music on for her or turn on the TV. Provide her with new toys to keep her busy.

I understand to quarantine a bird is far from easy - it is hard - but very important. Try not to get too discouraged or impatient - think about what is at stake here - the health of your other birds. Remember, just because she appears to be healthy does not mean that she is. Try to take one day at a time. At least try for 30 days.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. Part of the challenge is that the quarantine room isn't the most thrilling part of the house. Yes, I'll probably go ahead and call the vet for advice even if they can't see her. There's another exotic vet nearby who apparently has an avian vet who I'll call as well. However, I get nervous about vets with less regular experience with birds. My biggest worry is the dreaded blood draw for these little guys. But of course it's the only way to determine a bunch of things.

Her name is Lily. It's been an amazing first week with her. She has exceed expectations so far in just about every way and I'm feeling incredibly lucky. The original plan was to try and get a rescue parrotlet, but I've come to learn that it's rare to find a parrotlet in a rescue - or even anywhere it seems.

Everything is going well so far and I'm trying to take the opportunity of her young age to expose her to as much as possible even within the confined environment. On the ride home after just meeting us, in a strange carrier and new environment, she was way calmer than I think most people would be in the situation - preening and singing! She's also gorgeous and the photo doesn't do it justice. When I'm interacting with her I keep on thinking about lemon-lime desserts or sorbet.

·
Registered
811 Posts
What a sweet name! Lily sounds really special. I love that she was preening and singing on the way home - you sure do not hear about that happening very often! lol She must have known somehow that she was going to a good home! She certainly is a beauty and with a easy going personality, you certainly have lucked out. I have thought when it came a time to get another bird, I would rescue too. I am surprised to hear that there were none to be found. They are becoming more and more popular so that may have something to do with it. I would love to see a picture of all your gang together once Lily joins them (if that is possible). Keep us updated on how she is doing. She is a stunner! :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
What a cutie! I'd add that the quarantine is always important, but since you can't get her into the vet I'd be even more careful than usual, just in case.

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
She is ADORABLE! Just remember that quarantine for her will not last forever, but regrets from not following through with quarantine might. If you can get an avian vet to see her, definitely try for it. Your vet isn't seeing animals at all except for emergencies? That seems odd, and not what most vets are doing. My vet isn't letting people into the building, but they are still seeing clients for everything, it is just curbside pickup and delivery. I would ask if they would do a new bird checkup - it can't hurt to ask!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all!

I'll aim for at least a month-long quarantine or longer if the vet advises it. I would be devastated if my other birds caught something serious. I'm going to bug my preferred vet and tell them the situation and fingers crossed that they'll see her. Anyone have any experience with getting blood work done on a such a young parrotlet? Before getting her my feelings about the whole blood draw part were neutral, but now that I have her the idea of the needle in the jugular is less than pleasant.

Yes, things have worked out so smoothly so far it's almost uncanny. As far as getting a rescue parrotlet, one rescue agency actually told me that I would have a hard time finding one in any rescue anywhere. I imagine parrotlets do pop up in rescues once in a while but they probably get scooped up quickly. Even though they've grown in popularity they're still unusual compared to other parrots and they are also appealing to apartment dwellers. Anyway I'm sure there will be challenges ahead as is the case with any bird from any background.

I'll definitely post a photo of the whole flock together once we get there!

·
Super Moderator
6,579 Posts
Adorable! I have a bird named Lilly also! Do I see some blue on the wings or is there blue on the rump? It's kind of hard to tell in that first picture but it looks like there was some hiding under the wing up at the top of the shoulder (I don't think that's actually a bird shoulder that's just what I call it lol because to me it seems like where a shoulder would be 😂)

Reactions: Bluewing

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought I had recalled you having a Lilly :) My thought in naming her was after the Tiger Lily - beautiful by fiesty. So it's interesting, just in the short time I've had her, I'm seeing new colors emerge. She has a distinct green color on her wings and a little on her back - it's very bright but for some reason it's hard to see in the photo. Then she has a very pale power blue on her rump. She has also has some white on her head and little light grey sprinkled in. When I first got her I thought she was pure yellow, but I was definitely mistaken. I wonder if her feather color will continue to change a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts