Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
When my Wife walks over to Theos cage to talk to him, he puffs his feathers up which makes him look bigger than he actually is. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior in their male Parrotlet. Like I said before, he only does it to my wife. While he is doing it, he is also chattering back at her.
Mark B.:)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper gets puffy when she sees a plastic grocery bag, when she plays with a toy or just when she is happy!

·
Registered
148 Posts
On a sidenote for Sally, Finn has a penguin toy just like Chipper's! He's not a big fan of it yet, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The picture of Chipper is exactly what Theo is doing so from what it sounds like he is doing it when he is excited or happy.
MARK B.:)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Mostly Kiwi gets fluffed up and chattery for three reasons.

1. someone is messing with his toys
2. something that jingles or crinkles
3. I love on my other animals (he is on my sholder or around me the whole time I am home, but when 9:00 comes... I put him to bed and play with my hedgie and dog. He peaks out of the cage cover and sees me sometimes... this is when he chatters and puffs up.)

BUT when I come home... he is sooo quick to get on my shoulder and nuzzle my face, and kiss when I put my lips up to him.

He is a fluffed up fool some times when I walk through the door, juming from perch to perch and making little monkey sounds wanting me to get him out of the cage to hold him. I should have called him Rowdy or Feather Fluff. lol.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulie does it too...when he's glad to see us. when he's excited or angry. It's just a P'let thing. Don't they look cute??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When Theo does it, my wife calls him the incredible hulk because he makes himself so big. She also tells him he looks like an Easter Peep.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Puffer

I'm so glad that our P'let isn't the only one obsessed with plastic grocery bags. ANY plastic crinkling makes him CHIRP AND FLUFF up. He also bobs his head and paces or rocks back and forth. He thinks he's getting a treat or something.

However, he also puffs up when he's visiting with my Mom's bird (a female p'let) and we are trying to get him out of the cage they are in. He becomes very protective of her and tries to lunge/bite at us.

So depending on your bird's demeanor when he's puffing up at your wife, he may be excited to see her or may be acting cage posessive to get her to go away. Does he nip at your wife or just fluff up? that would be a good indicator for me.

I think the puffing is an expression of emotion for them, but can be both positive and negative.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
too funny...just tonight my husband had an ice bag on his knee and shook it so Kiwi could hear the ice and she went nuts! Squeaking and running around the bag and then she jumped on top of it and continued squeaking..it was hilarious.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yup. It's all typical P'let behavior. It's funny the things that excite them..
I wish I could get excited over something that simple!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts