Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I was doing some reading on another forum today and one of the threads was about the Thermo Perches that we have been discussing over here on TP lately.

One of the posters stated that she personally knew someone whose bird's feet had been badly burned when the perch overheated as the result of a power surge.

This possibility had never even occurred to me. And yes, it was the Thermo Perch brand and not one of it's substandard competitors.

The moral of the story is that if you have one of these for your fid, you may want to ensure that it's plugged into a surge protector and not directly into the wall. I know I will.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I've got both of my Thermo Perches plugged into a surge surpressor. I've had them in Libby and Angelina's cages for 3 or 4 days now. I can put them on the perches and they'll sit there for a few seconds, but that's it. I'll just leave everything in place and give them more time. It's got to feel good to them at some point!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got the thermo perch I ordered and had to send it back. Even the small one was too big for my little guy. After reading that PSA, I'm glad I did. I found out the hard way last year with my television during a snow storm that surge protecters don't always work. I think I'll just invest in a heated panel that he won't come into direct contact with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder why they even exist, naturally the perches would be the temperature of the room they are in. I guess if the bird was kept outside like in an aviary this may be good but one kept indoors should have no need for this.

ed

·
Registered
98 Posts
My little parrotlets love the thermo perch. I place a clean linen cloth over it everyday to diffuse any spots that are too warm. My birds use them ALL the time. They also add heat to the cage in the winter at night to add comfort. I would do anything to help my babies feel better

·
Registered
212 Posts
heated panels?

I got the thermo perch I ordered and had to send it back. Even the small one was too big for my little guy. After reading that PSA, I'm glad I did. I found out the hard way last year with my television during a snow storm that surge protecters don't always work. I think I'll just invest in a heated panel that he won't come into direct contact with.
Where are these sold?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Heated Perches

Hi Everyone,

I was doing some reading on another forum today and one of the threads was about the Thermo Perches that we have been discussing over here on TP lately.

One of the posters stated that she personally knew someone whose bird's feet had been badly burned when the perch overheated as the result of a power surge.

This possibility had never even occurred to me. And yes, it was the Thermo Perch brand and not one of it's substandard competitors.

The moral of the story is that if you have one of these for your fid, you may want to ensure that it's plugged into a surge protector and not directly into the wall. I know I will.
Hi all,

Hey if they are not UL tested don't use them on your bird! There is a reason they are not UL, and that means UL will not put their name on it, so therefore it is not safe.

Julie

·
Registered
16 Posts
You know I'm not impressed by surge protectors. I still use them but every time something has gone wrong no surge protector has functioned to save the situation. I had one on my aquarium and an issue with the filter led to dripping on the surge protector. It was still running despite being black and everything plugged in was black. The only thing that stopped a fire was the fact everything including the carpet was soaked. I had 3 space heaters fried by poor wiring on an old house all plugged in to surge protectors that never tripped.

I've had tons of situations that could or should have resulted in problems or damaged the item plugged in without even the expensive surge protectors flipping. I would personally not rely on one and set up the situation so that it's as unlikely as possible to go wrong without one and then plug one in. I mostly just use them as extension cords and to plug in lots of items than as protection.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Oh, wow. That could be very dangerous. Some of my larger birds have thermo perches, and the rest of them, including parrotlets, have, oh, what would you call it? Well, we call it a warm thing. It is a little flat thing we attach to the bars of the cage (same brand as Thermo-Perch) and they can snuggle up to it. Merlin especially loves his. If I can figure out getting pictures up I could take one of them, because I really don't know how to explain it. My parrotlets like theirs, but sometimes Gumdrop will be aggressive at it.

Does anyone know if those could burn too?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our parrotlet loves his. It can get a bit chilly in the house in winter, and this seemed like a more economical solution than heating the entire place for one small bird while we were out all day.

The small one is still quite large and hard to grip - at first Thorin was slipping off it all the time. He got a lot better (and the balancing beam act was - and still is - entertaining to watch!). We ended up tying some garden twine around the end of it to give him some purchase when jumping on. That helped quite a lot and now he sits on it for hours.

I'm interested: would a bird not jump down if the perch became too hot? Also, I'd have thought a power surge would be too short-lived to raise the temperature and maintain it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Thermo Perch for my two budgies. Never had a problem. My breeder suggested it. Said the best way to keep them warm was through their feet. They don't use it a lot, but it's nice to know it's there for them if they get cold. The diameter is rather large, but they can grip the last 1/3 to 1/2 of it well, as it tapers towards the end. I will definitely use one with my Parrotlet. I'd like to combine it with one of the Snuggle Up Bird Warmers, in the winter.

·
Super Moderator
6,778 Posts
I got one of the bird warmers that's like a plate and none of my birds would sit close enough for it to warm them. The perch sounds like a good idea though be never seen one. What material is it?
Our house is very regulated as far as temperature so I don't know, but I guess they might still like it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought the Thermo Perch for my Freddie. It has a sand-paper type of covering adhered over the plastic perch. Freddie liked it - except he chewed off all of the sand-paper material. The company sent me a new one. If he chews this one apart, I'm getting the heated plate instead and will replace the Thermo Perch with a concrete perch so his toenails stay trimmed.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
I bought the Thermo Perch for my Freddie. It has a sand-paper type of covering adhered over the plastic perch. Freddie liked it - except he chewed off all of the sand-paper material. The company sent me a new one. If he chews this one apart, I'm getting the heated plate instead and will replace the Thermo Perch with a concrete perch so his toenails stay trimmed.
If he is chewing the covering then I would refrain from using this product. Too much possibility of crop issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good information, although I never had an issue with my Thermo Perch. I will plug it into a surge protector, to be safe, however.

As long as it's not the only perch in the cage, or the only "high-up" perch, I would think a bird would have the sense to get off it, if it's getting too warm.

But maybe I am overestimating them!

I used to clip some millet near the perch so that the budgies had to stand on it to reach the millet. Good way to let them know it was available and warm.

If you turn the perch so that the narrower side of the perch is under the birds' feet (assuming your cage bars allow), I found it was not too large, even for budgies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts