Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stack of books and magazines that I'm constantly researching the care of Parrotlets. Here's my question for the group...what is the recomended amount and type of protein that you feed your Parrotlet daily? The reason I ask (since I have a lot of time to read during Baseball workouts) is I read about the possibility of poisoning if fed too much protein. Also, what about grains...what type do you offer...do you offer daily. I had read to offer protein to keep optimal health and then I read about poisoning by too much. I just want to ensure I'm doing the right thing since Kiwi had the crop infection early and it surfaced again...she's off meds and I want to keep her that way. I will probably start another thread for opinions on meds.

It's amazing how we continue to learn daily and remain diligent around the care of these wonderful birds. I plan to have Kiwi with me for a very long time. She just turned 8 months on Monday of this week. She has me totally wrapped around her little wing!

Any thoughts and guidance would be appreciated...I know I'll get great guidance from this forum...bring it on :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't feed animal protein to my birds. I know some people do, but I just don't like the idea. I feed nuts and seed along with the grains so they get complete proteins.

If you like to have cooked foods for them, the beak appetite is affordable for p'lets and are a good mixture of vegetable amino acids that when eaten will make a complete protein. I feel that if you feed a quality seed diet on top of various other foods, they will not lack for anything.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Catfish -- thank you -- I do not feed Kiwi any animal proteins. I do cook the Beak Appetit for her along with split peas and lentils. She likes oatmeal with some dried fruit cooked in with it. I feel better, after reading that about portion about poisoning, I became very concerned.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't make an effort to give Bitsy protein. But I do "share" with him what we're eating. Yesterday, for example, I made a lentil salad that also had black beans in it. So he had black beans and lentils (along with the core/seeds of the bell pepper, which he loved!). He also gets egg (with the shell) in the cooked Birdie Bread he has every morning.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think you have to try to give these guys too much protein. You would have to provide nothing but nuts and beans. They may enjoy these things, but if they are like mine, they also enjoy the other food groups. I am firm believer that birds will self regulate once shown they can eat (insert food) is not toxic.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Musicjan and Catfish -- thank you! I'm on the right path then...it just doesn't hurt to doublecheck. I offered Kiwi a wide variety so I feel much better. Thanks :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts