Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I have an almost 2 year old male parrotlet, Grover, whom I've had since he was 8 weeks or so (he was hand-fed and weaned when I brought him home). He's always been so sweet with me, and I can't tell if this is "that time of year" or "that time of his life (adolescence with hormones during the season)" but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Basically he has a sleeping cage that my fiance takes him to every night, and I take him to his day cage in the AM. When I go into that room, he starts to become really agitated, chirping and puffed like he's arguing with me. I don't even attempt to scritch him (he's never liked that) but he steps up like a champion, however from the step up he then flies from hand to hand really attacking them and trying to take chunks out of my fingers and hands. And that darned beak is so pointy sharp!!

I don't have any other parrotlets, though I do have 2 budgies he can't see and a quaker that lives near him but never with him (my quaker would not allow that in all the world). He gets ample sleep every night, though I'll start making it longer as it's about 10 hours right now, and the only other recent change was that I had abdominal surgery so my fiance was waking him and feeding him for maybe 3 weeks. Pre-surgery I was spending about an hour to two hours with him per day (sometimes more), but now it's less, mainly because he's really upset with me when I'm around (even just in his cage's vicinity). Also just before this started, he started trying to regurgitate for me, and I'd immediately put him back in his cage.

I should add that as recently as 5 weeks ago before the surgery, when I'd take him out of his sleeping cage in the AM, he'd fly over to my shoulder and just give me kisses on my cheek, and snuggle into my neck. This is a very recent development which seemed to really peak (at least as of yet) today.

What could be causing this? Is it hormonal? How can I work with him to stop? Any ideas? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
He could be mad at you for not changing his schedule while you were recuperating. He's also that age where he is hormonal and you his "love" interest (regurgitating) was missing in action for awhile. So he's giving you a hard time. But just to make sure have you changed soap, hand cream, nail polish? Do you wake up another bird first and before he was the first? and he can now smell the other bird on you? So many variables in this scenario. I would check the easy things first and if he is mad at you it's a matter of gaining his trust again. Treats and bribery always work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the reply so quickly!

To help, I haven't changed anything on my hands at all, and he's always been second for wake-ups where both birds and I go down to their cages together. I do usually put the quaker on top of his cage first and spend time with Grover as he's a big talker so we practice every morning before he goes into his cage, but he's just been "arguing" with me lately and not interested.

Gotta work on treats & bribery. Any tips?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I would also try changing everything around his cage just to give him something to think about. And if he likes millet, once you take him out of the cage, offer it to him... hopefully before he attempts to bite you and he probably will be too distracted to bite.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts