Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! It's been a while since I've been on and luckily that's great for Tofu because she's been fantastic, but unfortunately I am getting a very unplanned surgery in another state in approximately 4 days. I will be in immediate recovery, away from my home and my little bundle of joy, for at least two weeks and then I can try to drive home but who knows. Tofu is going to be staying where she is- in her own cage and in her own home. My fiance is staying here with her, however: Tofu drastically prefers me to him (I would say she tolerates him, but actively seeks out attention from me), and I work from home normally so Tofu wakes up when I wake up at 10am and I am in the same building for most of the day. My fiance leaves work at 7:00am and does not get home until around 6pm. I'm starting to get very worried because this all came on very last minute and I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't know if this sudden schedule change is going to hurt her to the point that I should consider taking her to stay with a family memeber or if that will be worse than her getting to stay at home? I don't know may people directly close to our home who could easily visit her during the day or if that would upset her more than just being at home during the day? Is there anything at all I can do for Tofu ahead of time? I feel like I have a plan for every, 'bird related emergency,' and no plan for, 'bird during human related emergency,'....

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello! It's been a while since I've been on and luckily that's great for Tofu because she's been fantastic, but unfortunately I am getting a very unplanned surgery in another state in approximately 4 days. I will be in immediate recovery, away from my home and my little bundle of joy, for at least two weeks and then I can try to drive home but who knows. Tofu is going to be staying where she is- in her own cage and in her own home. My fiance is staying here with her, however: Tofu drastically prefers me to him (I would say she tolerates him, but actively seeks out attention from me), and I work from home normally so Tofu wakes up when I wake up at 10am and I am in the same building for most of the day. My fiance leaves work at 7:00am and does not get home until around 6pm. I'm starting to get very worried because this all came on very last minute and I'm not quite sure what to do. I don't know if this sudden schedule change is going to hurt her to the point that I should consider taking her to stay with a family memeber or if that will be worse than her getting to stay at home? I don't know may people directly close to our home who could easily visit her during the day or if that would upset her more than just being at home during the day? Is there anything at all I can do for Tofu ahead of time? I feel like I have a plan for every, 'bird related emergency,' and no plan for, 'bird during human related emergency,'....
My guess is Tofu will be just fine, she will be with someone she is used to. Maybe they will strengthen their bond while you are away. I went away for 10 days and left Huey with my hubby. Hubby did not ever interact with Huey and hubby never let him out of the cage. I got photos of Huey sitting on hubbys shoulder while I was on my trip! So they both adjusted to me being gone. My birds are home alone all day, On weekends we are home more and are have more bird time. Take care of yourself and everything will work itself out.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
You will have no problem with loosing your bond with Tofu. Leave a list of things for your fiance to read. This list should have suggestions on what to do. When I would be away for a few days, I would call my wife and let her have our parrotlet listen to my voice. I would say his name and talk to him. My wife told me that my bird would look behind the phone to/ see if he could see me! Tofu is smart and will be happy when you return.
I hope you stay well and have a safe trip!

David and Vicki

1 - 3 of 3 Posts