Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My parrotlet, Hibbert (named after Frederick 'Toots' Hibbert, if any of you know who that is) is a recent addition to my household, and is settling in quite well it seems. He's been here since Tuesday, and some very basic training and aquainting has been happening. Now, this isn't a huge problem, seeing as the poop is extremely tiny and takes no effort to clean up, but sometimes after he eats some millet or seed (haven't got him onto other foods yet, as he is still just baby at 6 or 7 weeks old max.) he poops onto the carpet or whatever happens to be under him. He is usually very considerate, like when on the top of the cage, poops between the bars, so as not to mess up the cage. My only question is if he can be potty-trained, and if so, how? If not, how to teach him not to crap on me or my girlfriend. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Lol....I'm not sure...LOL Hey what's a little poop between friends. The others may be able to help you. Remember babies take a while to potty train..

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have known some to be very succesful potty training via clicker training. You have to pay attention to how often they go potty and try to click when they go and treat. Then you advance to using a command to get them to go. I an always go into more detail a little later.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
That is exacly what Kiwi does, I just say to him, "Thanks for the present, I really enjoy it." He just stares at me and gives me a little chirp.

I despise bird crap...

·
Registered
105 Posts
For potty training, we had to train the p'let but we also had to become trained ourselves -- that is, Birdy goes "poo-poo" on her perch, but we have to be sure to put her on the perch religiously about every 10 minutes.

We have a cage with a removable perch/tray, so we can take it into whatever room we want to hold Birdy. We trained her by just putting her on the perch (the desired 'toilet' area) and waiting for her to poop. We'd chant in a riduculously high pitched voice, "Poo poo! Poo poo!" (Oh, it's a hoot to see a crowd of family sitting around a miniscule bird sing-songing "do de poo poo!").

Anyway, once she finally pooped we praised her lavishly with "Good girl! Goooood girl!" (a phrase she only gets when she's accomplished a task). Every 10 minutes we put her on the perch and sing-song "Do de poo poo!" and praise her lavishly when she does.

Didn't take her long to catch on -- now when we put her on the perch she pretty much knows it's poopy time. As long as we remember to put her on the perch, she hardly ever has 'accidents' on our shirts or furniture.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Smaller birds like the Parrotlet need to poop every 10 to 15 minutes. You may notice most birds tend to poop right after you have them step down onto their play-stand or back into their cage. Follow Carebears post and it should work - its great advice.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes (no pun intended) :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
i didn't even know you could train a parrotlet to do this. beaker was potty trained kinda by accident. he loves hanging out on my bent knee, laptop screen, or shoulder while i'm reading or doing homework. every time he dropped one, i moved him or put him back in his cage to get the darn thing cleaned up. eventually, he got the picture... he holds it till he alights on a "non-person" surface.

i suppose that counts as neg reinforcement... he was moved from his favorite perch every time he crapped. in any case, it seems to have worked pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts