Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, its been a while since ive posted, I mostly just read.

Anyway, Cloud has been doing very well, the nipping has subsided for the most part. He now bites when something is actually bothering him, and Ive learned to watch for the signs.

Now for my questions:
My husband says that birds do not have sphinctors (spelling?) so they cannot control thier bowel movements. Is this true? Cloud is constantly pooing on our hard wood floors and sometimes on my keyboard! I am kind of a neat freak and we have guests over all the time. Is there any way to train him to only poo in his cage?

My second question is, is it possible for a p'let to be out of his cage too much? I am kind of a stay at home student, so hes out almost all day everyday. But when we have guests over or im sick, and I cant watch him, he screams bloody murder constantly. Ive tried clapping once, and if he doesnt stop ill cover his cage. It only works for a few minutes and then hell go back to screaming.

These two things put together are driving me nuts. I can cope with him wanting to destroy EVERYTHING out of curiousity, and even him chasing my dog but the screaming is getting out of hand.

Please help! Sorry I rant too much. :p

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hi Amy -- I work out of my home office so Kiwi has the opportunity to spend most of the day with me, either on my shoulder or playing on her second cage in my office. She is 8 months old and I've had her for 6 months. The last week or two, when I would leave the house, my son would tell me that she yells as loud as she can until I return. An article in Bird Talk covered a Cockatiel that did that and it was due to spending too much time with the owner.

since I read that, I have been putting Kiwi in her cage during the day for at least an hour...I'll normally put in a treat or new toy for her to play with since I don't want her to think she is being punished but I also don't want her stressed and calling for me whenever I'm out of sight. I'm happy to report that she is much better and as long as I'm consistent with doing this, she is happy to either be in the cage or will go with another family member and not yell in their ear.
Hope this helps...just stay consistent and Cloud will respond.

I probably wouldn't go the route of covering his cage for he may grow to associate the cage with a punishment vs. going to play and entertain himself.

Good luck...let me know how it goes...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Regarding potty training...I have read that it can be done..if I find the write-up, i'll let you know...I recall something about a phrase that you use only when you see the bird give an indicator that he is ready to go and then place him where he should do his business. Once again, it's a repetitive process and I don't recall how long they project it takes.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper doesn't poo on me. She will fly from my shoulder to poo on her playgym or cage. Birds poo a lot though. The nice thing about Parrotlets is the TEENY poo!

Is the cage big and wide with lots of fun toys? Chipper is thrilled to be home and plays constantly or swings and looks out of the window. She is truly happy. If you find the best cage and toys that will help a lot. She was not as happy in the previous cage.

They love to be with us. I do not use any neg. training. I guess you can train him to be in the cage, if it is a fun place, for a time during the day and reward and have treats and great swings and toys inside.

I think thier life should be fun and we just have to learn how to help them deal with living with us. They are wild birds. This is all new to them. I always remember that. This is Chipper's favorite swing.

She is on it right now too. I am baking quiche and she is happy in her cage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it could be time to get some new toys, or make some. I will try that. His cage is pretty big for a little bird, I was told it is a cockatiel cage when I bought it. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Whats the deminsions?

Is it a Beginner cockatiel cage?

Just curious.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
People think Parrotlets are small so they get a small cage. They are very active and should be able to fly, jump and play in a very large and wide cage. They love to play and crawl all over the cage. I have two cages for Chipper. There should be a variety of toys and perches also.

·
Registered
794 Posts
People think Parrotlets are small so they get a small cage.
:eek:
This is so true of the people who don't do the research, or want the best for their bird.
It makes me so angry when people will defend this statement against people who do research, just to feel better about themselves.....
Even if it wasn't necessary that they have this big of a cage, why not get it anyways??
Parents always want their children to have the best of the best, and the most extra....why not for your bird???

At bird shows, when I go with my breeder, to help her out, people always want to know what size of a cage to get, so I walk them over to people who are selling cages at the show...
The buyer walks towards the smaller, breeder cages, and I say "no no...this bird needs a bigger cage, etc etc. and go on with the speech.
Well, they say okay, I will think about it, bla bla bla, and then I see them later, leaving with a small breeder cage and one or two toys.
It makes me SO angry when people treat their pets as decorations or toys.
:mad::mad:

Are you guys on the same page as me? :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
A smaller cage is ok for a little baby, but the grown Parrotlets deserve a wonderful place to live! They are wild and we need to give them a fun life full of exercise and metal stimulation! It is also SOOOO much fun to see them enjoy what we provide for them. They really deserve the best as members of the family.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good questions!

I've been meaning to ask you guys on here about poops, too. Nemo hasn't ever gone on my shoulder although when I'm holding him, there has been a couple times when he's gone poop on my hand. He also likes to sit on the rung of the chairs (under) and leaves droppings on the floor, too. Except mine is carpet, so Amy - you have it easier than I do ;)

Anyway, has anyone ever been successful potty-training their P'let(s)? Any suggestions as to what I can try to reduce scrubbing away at the carpet after every of his play sessions?

- Kathy

P.S. We just had our carpets washed this morning, partially because of the bird poops, so I'd love to learn to keep it as clean as possible with a parrot around.

·
Registered
48 Posts
potty training

I've read that you can teach birds to be potty trained. I have heard of some birds that only relieve themselves in a certain part of the cage, and others that will actually poop on command. I think that the on command thing is SOO cruel and unnatural. Dogs and cats can go a very long time without going to the bathroom and be fine. However, birds need to go to the bathroom every 15-20 minutes.

I have many different types of pets, and I have always said, "love an animal, love it's poop." It's just an aspect of having a live animal. If you don't want it to poop on your keyboard, don't let it sit on your keyboard. I'm not saying just let them crap all over the place or don't clean it up. But provide a place where they can play and interact, but have some sort of "droppings" cloth below them. My husband will not let our bird sit on his shoulder just prior to going to work since he has a nice shirt on--but will let him perch on his finger and interact with him that way.

If your guests don't feel comfortable handling birds and/or you are afraid that they will get pooped on, let them enjoy your bird from a distance. If it's a matter of keeping the floor clean - consider giving your birds limits on where they can play. Just like children, they are generally more well behaved anyway with some healthy boundaries. Pooping is a natural thing that birds do. Do they ask you to limit your bathroom time for their convenience? I don't mean to sound rude-just giving some food for thought.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know of a lovebird who poops on command so I know it can be done. However, i don't think it's so much him holding it in...he poops when not told to...but more that if he needs to go soon he'll try to poop it out when you say "poop". It was super amazing for the owner to train him so well if nothing else.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Our caique will go 'on command' if the command happens to be around when he needs to go. He'll also go in his cage, on the playstand, on the floor, etc.
My parrotlet, too, will go when I remember to religiously remove him from playing under my hair every 10 or so minutes. He also has nothing against going on me if I don't remember. :p They aren't really potty trained, I think it's me.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've been told you can't technically potty train a bird. BUT as posted earlier, they can be taught to "go on command" (if its about time for them to go that is) and usually it is more the owner who is trained :) , the owner knows to ask the bird to go by knowing its about that time for the bird to relive itself - and the way to command train them is to do this religiously - but they won't hold it until you tell them to - they can't, they need to go often and they go when they need to go.

I've read of birds that only go in a certain spot in their cage or they fly to their cage to go - etc - This is more likely a habit of the particular bird and not so much a conscious decision on the birds part. The bird that only poops in a certain spot in their cage may just happen to prefer to sit on a certain perch in their cage and therefore it seems they only poop in that spot. Birds often poop right after they land or you put them down (providing its time for them to go) an owner who is aware of this will use this knowledge to command train their bird.

A bird that fly's to its cage often when out free flying may poop when they land on their cage - Mine do this, their cage is their favorite landing spot and they poop more on their cage than anywhere else - I know they aren't pooping in their cage on purpose, its just they happen to land on their cage a lot - so it would appear they are going to their cage purposely to poop. - - - I wish :p

I had an African Senegal Parrot that slept in a tent - she wouldn't poop at night at all but did one very large one in the morning after leaving her tent - at first I thought she just didn't want to poop in her tent like a dog not wanting to poop in its crate but my Vet told me it was just her natural instinct - her species usually didn't poop at night - it was some kind of a flock defense by not pooping predators wouldn't locate their sleeping spot. They didn't do this consciously, it was just instinct.

I could be wrong but I don't think birds know that their poop is bad or gross or whatever - otherwise they wouldn't poop in their water or on their food or step in it - so they couldn't make a conscious decision not to poop on their owner because they love them. I'm sure they never give their poop a second thought :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Maybe you are right Pado -that they poop without thought- but Bibi never poops on anybody! If she is in 'dreadfull need' but not willing to leave your company, she leans back as far as possible from her place on your shoulder/leg/whatever to poop 'over the edge' :)
But hey, we're talking about Bibi here and not just a common lady :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts