Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NOW SOLVED: He's a happy healthy pellet eater, now eating plenty of veg too and a decent weight, thanks everyone :) X

It's Hiro again!

Hi guys,

So a question for you all. I've had Hiro a couple of months now since rehoming him. We have no idea how old he is (we think maybe a year but it's a total guess) And I for the life of me cannot get him to eat pellets or fruit or veg. The only thing he will touch is broccoli, and he destroys more than he swallows, oh and sometimes peas and sweetcorn. I've tried several different high quality pellets too to no avail (even tried wetting them, mushing them up etc)

I'm worried he might be a little on the tubby side and it could more than likely be because he's only eating seed.. My question is, has anyone had any experience with fussy eaters?

He was kept very badly before I rehomed him (a supplier had a load and they were all mistreated, Hiro was the worst with his malformed feet bless him). So he's likely never had anything other than basic millet seed before he came to me :( I'm just at my wits end for trying to get him to experiment.... I've tried :

Pepper (and seeds)
Blueberries
Apple
Rasberry
Grapes
Melon
Spinach
Spring greens

- and probably others I can't think of right now. He just has zero interest.

Does anyone have any tips?

He also always has loads of pinnies around his head and neck, he doesn't really scratch, just preens, so I don't think they bother him huuugely, but could this be diet related? They look so awkward :( He hates being sprayed but I've started doing that daily, he refuses to bath and he's not hand tame as he has serious trust issues so I can't take him into the shower etc for humidity.

He is a really problematic, but absolutely amazing :p little bird. Any advice would be amazing :)

* Final thing. Anyone in the UK - Please tell me where you buy your pellets! I've only found one site I can buy harrisons from without extortionate delivery costs, and they're always Out of Stock!

·
Super Moderator
5,129 Posts
Hi!
I know he needs to bathe, but I wouldn't spray him. It hurts your work toward trust with him.
As far as food, we ALL have picky eaters - it is a species trait. The way that normally works is the "Green Eggs and Ham" method. Would you try it finely chopped? Would you try it in a cup? Would you try it lightly steamed? Strung up like a bean? Hung from the side of the cage? The 27th time I offer it? If I pretend to eat it first?
You are fighting an unknown amount of time of him only eating the unhealthy way, so it might take an equal amount of time for you to change his eating habits. Keep trying! I buy frozen veggies so there is less waste, and focus on things you already eat so that it gets eaten regardless. You might want to try grains like rice and pasta, which aren't the healthiest (although the wholegrain or brown rice is good) and might introduce him to the idea of eating "special" food. Keep at it! They are stubborn, but you are stronger! :D

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
My hen Jules is a rescue from a bad background too. She was fed the cheapest seed that was available. Took us a while to get her sorted out using the green eggs and ham method Dana suggests. On top of that we had good luck with Nutriberries. It sort of forced Jules from picking only the seed she liked to eating the Nutriberries nuggets and getting a better more rounded diet.

Outside that I suggest trying stuff like a bit of egg with the shell, Jules liked hard boiled but lately likes fried. A bit of toast and lean meat is also acceptable, Jules like chicken and chicken bones. As for fruit, strawberries and bananas are popular. Also most parrotlets like hot peppers. The hotter the better. Jules can eat her weight in cayenne peppers.

Outside that I suggest getting a scale an weighing Hiro every day or so at the same time of the day. It will give you a base line as to what is going on with him.

Another thing. Don't just feed him but eat with him. Let him have a bit of what you are eating) just not the areas you are eating because you saliva is bad for him. Birds are very social, flock animals. Eating is part of what the flock does together. It is part of the bonding process.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Cooked, mashed sweet potato has been a hit with everybody here and it's a good source of vitamin A. If he eats it, you can then mix other things into it, such as finely chopped veggies or crushed pellets. My guys also like Higgins Worldly Cuisines, which are a mixture of various grains, veggies and flavors. I use them as a base to sneak in more finely chopped veggies. And I agree with Ozzie about the nutriberries - they are a great bridge food to a better diet, or even a good base for a diet. I wouldn't hesitate to feed them instead of pellets.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Hello! Welcome to the best forum out there!

P'letts are just like children--some children eat anything and everything while other's are finicky and picky. The seed you mentioned must be millet. You must offer more than millet, but do not eliminate the millet. Keep a sprig hanging where he can get it.

Offer Hiro fresh broccoli florets. Hand feed it to him. Each time you hand offer any foods or treats, you must ask your bird, " Hiro, want some yum yum? " repeat it to him over and over as you offer it to him. I did this with my Bogie and now, when I ask him, " Bogie, want some yum yum ( or treat)", he anticipates it. He flies to my shoulder when I ask. He is excited to get a yum yum or treat.

It is just like when it is night night time. I ask Bogie, " Want to go night night?" He gets all excited and flies to my shoulder for a ride to his cage. I ask him every time. Your words become routine!

It is like the old animal behaviorist, Pavlov. When Pavlov rang a bell every time he fed his dogs, his dogs would salivate, whether he fed them or not! Birds love routine. It is a form of training them. You must say and do the same thing every time

Your bird will not starve. He will eat. You must keep trying! Never give up. Try different seed mixes for small hookbilled birds. Your parrotlet is a small hook bill. He can also eat Cockatiel bird food.

Call your local avian vet or breeder and ask what they offer their p'letts. Look up anything about parrotlets online. Google bird food companies and ask them what they sell p'letts. Some will guarantee that your bird will eat their mix or your money back.! Keep us posted.

David and Bogie;)

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
Everyone has great advice so far, I echo what they said to just keep trying. I have luck getting my birds to eat any fresh foods that resemble seeds. Try cooked quinoa, it's a healthy grain. Also crumble the broccoli heads. try pepper seeds, lentils, rice, strawberry (my birds like to pick at the strawberry seeds) it can be tough but don't give up.
I also think the Nutriberries are a great substitution for plain seed, I don't know if you can get those where you are.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pets At Home sells Harrisons - order it from their webstore and choose the 'collect from local store' option to avoid delivery costs. :) Definitely get the 'superfine' pellets as they look very similar to millet seed.

There's another product that Pets At Home sells in-store called Kaytee Bird Greens - basically very finely chopped dried vegetables. My parrotlet is fussy about fresh veg but she LOVES this stuff when mixed with a bit of water. When given a bowl of this and a bowl of seeds she actually goes for the veg first!

Regarding fruit; raspberries, kiwi, figs and dragonfruit are Olive's favourites. She mainly picks out the seeds but ends up eating a lot of the pulp in the process.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I agree with everything said.

I would also add to offer pellets by hand if you can as a treat. That is how I started.

I also have a small plate and offer what ever we are eating on the plate 1" by 1" and feed our guy a small piece of what ever we are eating and we all eat together.

We have tried many brands of pellets and we have had luck with zupreem natural. Both the round small ones and the crumble size. He gets both he likes to roll the round ones in his beack for a bit before biting it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.