Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am concerned about my parrotlet Kermits droppings.
He has recently started eating broccoli so I’m not sure if that may be a factor but he has always had other fresh vegetables?
He is fine in himself- not fluffy or fatigued.
Kermit is on the left- the green one

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Can you tell us how his droppings differ from what he had before? Did the change occur around the same time he started eating broccoli? How long have his poops been different? Have there been any other changes that may have stressed him? Cage rearrangement or moved; change to his routine, etc?

I am asking because it is not uncommon for them to have a change in their poops provided it doesn’t last long and/or is associated with an event. His do look a little odd. The white part (urate which is like a concentrate urine) is either missing entirely or is mixed in with the green fecal matter and maybe a bit watery (which would be clear urine). A “normal” poop would have a white urate centre encircled by the greenish poop and would be a bit firmer.

It is good to hear that he’s not showing signs of illness because as you probably know, they are notorious for concealing illness until they are very sick. However, a change in their poop can be an early sign of illness. If this change happened around the time you started feeding him broccoli, stop feeding it to him and see if he goes back to normal. Then try again in a few days. That will identify if the broccoli is the culprit. If it is, I wouldn’t stop feeding him the broccoli but rather introduce it to his diet more gradually. Other stressors can also affect his poop so if there have been changes, give it a few days for him to adjust. I am kind of advising without the answers to the questions I asked - LOL - so I will stop here and wait for a few more details from you.

If you feel really concerned, it is never a bad idea to check with a vet. However, if it helps, I personally don’t feel alarmed at what that photo shows.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts