Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Binky is pushing 3 1/2 years, and has been very healthy, but recently developed polyuria. He has excess urine in his stools, although his feces and urates seem normal for the most part.

I did have him into the Small Animal Clinic at Purdue, where they did bloodwork and screening for infections. Nothing definite, unfortunately. No x-rays or other imaging done at this time.

He is still active, eating and drinking, not lethargic. Diet is seeds, veggies and egg. Doesn't seem excessively thirsty. Gets plenty of fly-time and only in his cage at night.

Has anyone else ever had a p-let with long term (talking about 2 mos. now) polyuria?

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Polyuria can happen for many reasons. Some common treatments form vets are antibiotics or antifungal medicines. There are many, many, many reasons your bird is experiencing this...and this is a serious problem if it is really polyuria. One thing you do need is a Gram smear done. This will help, but of all I know, you must take your bird to an avian vet. This is a complicated disease and you need a qualified vet to see this through.

David

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
I am sorry, I have never heard of this! Any updates on how your little one is doing?

·
Administrator
5,214 Posts
Same here. None of my guys have had this problem and I am not sure I know anybody that has. Sorry.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has been back to the vet once on other things, but no resolution. He goes to Purdue University Small Animal clinic, so I'm fairly confident the vets have given this some thought.

They suggested it could be an infection of some sort, but the blood work and cultures did not turn up anything. We did not do imaging, but I'm not sure I want to put him through that unless absolutely necessary.

Sometimes it's actually okay. Odd.

The vets did not term it polyuria to begin with, I found that term in an online forum, but there's never been a diagnosis.

He's healthy, active and eats and plays, so still a mystery.

Last vet visit. He was not happy!

Bird Hand Beak Parrot Finger

·
Administrator
5,214 Posts
Yup, he is not a happy camper. Weird how they can let you know how they feel with the limited facial features they have but they sure can.
I am curious. Is he bathing a lot lately? He looks to be molting and I have seen watery droppings in frequent bathers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts