Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

So I've had my rescue p'let Perruche for over a week now and she is settling in SO well - there's just one worry and that's her feathers. She's losing on average 10 - 15 feathers a day (at least - there may be more I'm not spotting). The feathers being lost are a mixture of long wing feathers, downy under feathers and the soft, small ones from her chest. I'm just not sure if this is a healthy, normal moult or whether she's plucking. I don't even know if that many feathers a day is normal even for a moult so your advice would be very appreciated!!

On the side of a moult: She has recently had some new feathers come in, some are still unfurling. Also I don't think she'd been exposed to full sunlight for a while before I got her; now she gets a good few hours a day. Also she's thought to be about a year old.

On the side of plucking: she preen A LOT. Pretty much constantly if she's not playing or eating. Also the feather loss seems to increase as the days pass by.

Random info: she is scratching a lot and her skin, in places, looks red and sore. She's not a very willing bather, but when I force her to bathe via a mister she scratches less (but distrusts me more) :D

Have booked her in for a vets appt but that's a few days away so would like to get some thoughts!

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
That sounds like molting to me. For birds in captivity, molting can be basically at any speed and for any length. As far as bathing, I'd leave her alone for now. You can offer a dish, but don't force it. It isn't mandatory, and trust is more important for now. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Hi everyone!

So I've had my rescue p'let Perruche for over a week now and she is settling in SO well - there's just one worry and that's her feathers. She's losing on average 10 - 15 feathers a day (at least - there may be more I'm not spotting). The feathers being lost are a mixture of long wing feathers, downy under feathers and the soft, small ones from her chest. I'm just not sure if this is a healthy, normal moult or whether she's plucking. I don't even know if that many feathers a day is normal even for a moult so your advice would be very appreciated!!

On the side of a moult: She has recently had some new feathers come in, some are still unfurling. Also I don't think she'd been exposed to full sunlight for a while before I got her; now she gets a good few hours a day. Also she's thought to be about a year old.

On the side of plucking: she preen A LOT. Pretty much constantly if she's not playing or eating. Also the feather loss seems to increase as the days pass by.

Random info: she is scratching a lot and her skin, in places, looks red and sore. She's not a very willing bather, but when I force her to bathe via a mister she scratches less (but distrusts me more) :D

Have booked her in for a vets appt but that's a few days away so would like to get some thoughts!
It sounds like just normal feather loss or maybe a low level molt. Molting is when feather replacement kicks into high gears. When Jules is really molting I believe I could build another bird out of her dropped feathers. The thing about over preeners and pluckers is that they will look very disheveled, very ragged, looking. With pluckers you will actually start to see holes. At this point what your describe sounds pretty standard feather loss, molt to me.

As for preening all the time. Get used to that. It is sort of a birds job. A parrotlet has between 2000 to 3000 feathers that it has to maintain every day. That takes a lot of preening time.

The scratching of skin till it is red and sore is troubling. Can you elaborate on this of give a picture?

As for baths. Well that is always a issue with birds especially new ones. It takes some trust for them to bath around you. Then it seems that every bird has a different preference for bathing. So you are just going to have to offer new bathing options and see what develops. It took me months for me and Jules to figure out what she liked bath wise then she changed and we had to do it again. You say you are misting her. I hope you are not spaying her directly (unless she likes it that way) and is instead misting above her and letting it settle on her feathers.

I am glad to hear about the vet appointment. It is always best to have a good avian vet get a base line and start her file at the beginning.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies everyone! The advice and info is super appreciated, glad to hear it sounds like a normal moult. Have been getting worried that something is a miss!

In answer to questions:

RE the red skin I can't get a photo of am afraid as she's in bed atm and I don't think she'd let me anyhow. But to describe: it looks a bit like human eczema, or psoriasis. It's round her throat and neck area, just very red and dry feeling. She has a small amount of flakey skin in her feathers sometimes also, and scratches quite a bit - like a dog.

RE misting: I've been spraying the mister a good way above her cage and just letting the "rain" fall down on her. She's still pretty disgruntled by this. She does bathe in her water bowl every few days in the mornings, and seems much more comfortable in her skin after doing so, so I'd just like to encourage that more. Have tried a birdy bath with spinners and colours but she's not interested, so next am going to try leaving out a glass of water, and a feed trough of water and just see if either take her fancy.

Thanks again for your time and wisdom!

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Definitely have the vet look at the skin, but don't panic until your appointment. You are making good progress. Bathing every couple of days is good enough and more than Tumi does! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
RE the red skin I can't get a photo of am afraid as she's in bed atm and I don't think she'd let me anyhow. But to describe: it looks a bit like human eczema, or psoriasis. It's round her throat and neck area, just very red and dry feeling. She has a small amount of flakey skin in her feathers sometimes also, and scratches quite a bit - like a dog..
If the flakey skin in her feathers you are talking is sort of like white dandruff. Then you are probably seeing the remains of the feather growth sheath called keratin. You initially see a new feather (blood feather) as dark as it grows. At a certain point of its growth the blood leaves the feather and the keratin growth sheath turns white and starts to flake off. Initially you notice this as the white pin feathers then as the white dandruff as the feather is exposed. It is exposed via the preening process, either done by the bird or a helper. The scratching like a dog is also part of this process. Both are normal. The only thing concerning is the redness of the skin. Even that might not be an issue if she is pushing out a bunch of feathers in that area.
To sum up, it sounds like everything is fairly normal with a possible low level concern about some skin irritation that you may want to point out to the vet when you see them very soon but is not really anything to worry about at the moment.

·
Registered
485 Posts
All four of my birds are molting at the same time, and let me tell you - I could go into business selling pillows, there are so many feathers floating around here.

My boys love their morning bath. I have the type of bird bath that clips on to the front of the cage in the doorway, and have one on each of my two cages. I leave it on there all day, and take it off at bedtime.

This is the type of bath I use:

$_35.jpe

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
Violet, try filling the bird bath all the way full to the brim and watch the fun! Bogie goes nuts when it is full!
Pretty birdie that you have there in you pic.
Always, David and Bogie.:D
Hehe ok I will. I usually put half and then an ice cube but I'll fill it up next time.

Birdie in my pic? I know you don't think I brought home a conure. I mean, it's not like I buy a bird every other week. It's been at least 3 weeks since my last bird.... :cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh my gosh thank you everyone for your reassurance! It's such a relief to hear that her feather loss sounds normal, and THANK YOU for the bird bath recommendations - shall give her a try with some new types!

Shall tell the vet about her red skin when I take her in on Friday - till then I'll just keep an eye on it.

Re the "dandruff" style skin - yes, that's exactly what it sounds like, and it has been lessening since the new feathers have unfurled so that must have been the reason! Thanks!

So happy to hear that she's likely not plucking, and that I don't need to worry every time I see her preen (also, I got her another preening toy and she's started to take to it well so that should give her something to do besides preening herself and trying to remove my freckles :D)

Thanks again everyone - shall stop worrying so much and go enjoy my lovely little bird :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts