Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

As you all know from reading Jimmys story I am a new P'let owner. However we did have a few pets before he moved in. Specifically 2 cats. Jimmy has been living in Matt's room when we are not home and when we are he stays with us in his cage.

One of the cats (Jakey) has taken quite and interest in Jimmy. He is good about not trying to knock the cage over or break into it. But he does come up close and stare at Jimmy and will sometimes put a paw up to the cage. Jimmy seems to be unaffected by it. He doesnt get upset but just sits there and stares at Jakey. He will even try to nip Jakeys paw if he puts it up close (like he does if I put my hand up by the cage).

So a few questions...

Is it bad for Jimmy to be exposed to the cats? I have heard that cat dander can be an issue for some birds but I dont think it is bothering Jimmy.

The only time we take himout of his cage is in Matts room. We do try to spend a few hours a day with him outside the cage but are not always able to do this (work and school gets in the way) Is that enough time with him?

I would appreciate hearing any other concerns that I havent thought of.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
794 Posts
John I think it would be a mistake to trust Mr. Jakey alone with him ever , that bird in the house may seem just too good to be believed for the kitties but I have heard of folks having p'lets and cats( living seperate but equal lives.LOL) My friend offered to babysit over the holiday for me and when I brought Bitsey to her house her cat Ernie whg is normally very docile and lazy thought he had a new lease on life, so while B'jo's preening totaly unaware of the cat( what is a cat by the way were her thoughts) Ernie jumped on her cage. I nearly died. Injury being the reason that most don't live to a ripe old age. It's gonna be Jakey's natural inclination to get the bird. Well Jo didn't spend the holiday with Ernie this year and won't be making reservation for next year either.LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad Jo was ok!!! We do keep the cats and the irds separate except when we are there to monitor. And Jimmy is never out of the cage except when we are alone with him. I agree that Jakey should not be left alone with the bird int he cage!

John

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
John - I haven't heard about cat dander being an issue for birds but I do know cats saliva and even the slightest scratch from their claws can be deadly. The putting the paw onto the cage I wouldn't allow. I've read birds can be susceptible to the bacteria on their paws from the litter box.

I have a cat but I don't allow him to even stare at my birds and over the years he has learned not to do so. Every time he looked or paid any interest in my birds (when he was a kitten I had canaries) I would clap my hands and he learned this meant stop looking and move away.

In one of my bird books it states - cats and birds being a hunter and prey species - birds are innately aware of this. A cat staring at a bird is very unnerving for the bird - Birds have two defenses that are instinctual, fight or flight but if they are trapped inside a cage they have no choice but to 'fight' to defend themselves and their cage - hence Jimmy trying to bite Jakey's paw :D

From experience I know cats can learn to live with birds and not bother them (of course I would never trust them completely) especially if my cat showed any interest in the bird whatsoever.
My cat is twelve years old and has had a bird in the house most of his life - he now completely ignores them even when my P'let is out with me but he is still not allowed anywhere near him. My Parrotlet being so small and quick moving could still invoke a response from my cat. The only bird I ever allowed my cat to smell was my Senegal because she was larger and very full of herself - he sniffed and went on his way [ I actually did it more for the bird as she was very interested in getting to the cat].

As for the question on out of cage time - I'm a stickler for out of the cage time every day - even if time is pressing - while someone in the house is doing something as mundane and washing dishes or folding laundry or putting away groceries or even while getting ready to go out - put the bird on their shoulder so it can have some kind of interaction. For a lone, tame bird being locked in its cage for even one day must be grueling and frustrating.... now thats just my view :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts