Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday (Friday) I brought home our new baby. She’s apparently hand reared and around 6/7 months old. I know I have to build trust but I’m worried. She doesn’t seem to like hands at all. I can feed her millet inside the cage and lets my hand get quite close.
I opened The cage for the first time tonight and she flew out and crashed a few times. I felt so bad and she was just sat on the floor. She bit me a couple of times and my god that hurts. I managed to get a spare perch and she stepped up onto that and let me put her away. I’ve now half covered her cage and she’s really lively darting about. I’m sorry worried about letting her out again because she’ll crash and hurt herself. How will she ever get to know me? Does this sound like a hand tame baby?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi There!

For the first couple of weeks you should let her adjust to her new cage before attempting to handle her or let her out. She's in a whole new environment and it's stressful and confusing for her. Are her wings clipped? If yes, that could be why she crashed to the ground. Either way I would definitely let her settle in before taking her out of the cage. Continue to offer her millet with your hand, and perhaps sit by the cage and talk to her. Once she's more comfortable with her cage and room environment I would then start the process of safely letting her out of the cage, making sure there are no hazards or other pets nearby in case she gets spooked and tries to fly.

She will come around but it will take patience. I can't say if she's hand tamed or not, but even if she isn't, you can still work with her to develop a bond. It will just take a little longer. But it's so worth it!
Parrotlets are great companion birds, full of adorable feistiness! Definitely check out some of the great posts on bonding with a new bird, as well as general care. They are super helpful. Keep us posted on your progress :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts