Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! (I am brand new here:eek:),
I am turning to you for your help and expertise -- I have been researching, and researching,... and researching, for a reputable breeder, store, or fair in my area where I can find my very own P'let. I live in Newtown, PA 18940 and am close to Philadelphia, PA as well as Princeton, NJ where I work (and everywhere in between). I can also travel farther if necessary to find my P'let. I am turning to you to guide me in the right direction of where to look. I am untrusting of most chain pet stores, however would be okay with visiting a privately owned or operated one. Possibly your referral or warm introduction to someone you may know or trust would be my opportunity to find a P'let of my own.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions as to where to look or contact to find P'lets in my area (50+ miles from 18940). For some reason they don't seem as prevalent around here as they are in other areas--although I may be looking in all the wrong places. :(

Your help may lead me to my new-found friend!
Thank you so much in advance,
Lindsey :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
welcome :) we just went through the same search process you are currently in -- only we live in michigan. thankfully, we found an incredible breeder in a suburb north of detroit, mi. i'm sure that's a little far for you to drive, though. ;) i searched through craigslist, http://www.kijiji.com/, petfinder, and google. none of which, unfortunately, were terribly helpful...however, my biggest suggestion is to find one that is hand fed and from a breeder who actually interacts with her birds, rather than breeds them puppymill fashion. hope you find your new lil one soon!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Lindsey,

There is a bird store about 15 miles from you in Burlington, NJ. It's called Bird Paradise and they bill themselves as the largest bird store in the United States. I have been there several times and find the store very clean and the staff very knowegable.

They not only have birds but the biggest selection of bird products that I ever seen in any bird store and I've been in many stores.

The times that I have been there they had several dozen parrotlets with a variety of different color mutations. If you google Bird Paradise you can get their exact address. You can also find reviews of the store.

Phil

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parrotlet Found!

Hi Christina, Elliesmom, and Phil, and everyone else who read my post;
I have found my baby parrotlet! Much Thanks to Phil and his recommendation to visit Bird Paradise in Burlington, NJ!!! I emailed with Kathie of Bird Paradise, and I can't imagine anyone being more helpful--I was so impressed with her and her store! Tonight I met the baby parrotlets they just received from their parrotlet breeder, and chose my little one! He's the only green one of the bunch and is still getting his feathers.... Kathie said they will need to keep him about six weeks longer until he's finished weaning--she said he may wean a bit sooner, but to count on six weeks. She also suggested that I go in and visit him often.
I've attached some pictures ;)

Again, Phil, Thanks so much!
Lindsey:)

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
he's beautiful! congrats on finding him! have you picked a name for him yet?

·
Registered
229 Posts
What a sweet baby!! Thats so nice that you can visit your baby at a store before he is even available for purchase. You guys are lucky to have such a great pet store in your area.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Oh he looks adorable, it also looks like he's going to be very personable, especially the way he's already posing for the camera!

·
Registered
138 Posts
What a cutey!!
I wish we had half decent pet stores around here...only the big chains really and I'd never buy a bird from them again ever.

I'm sure your going to be as impatient as I am awaiting your little darling!

6wks and counting for you, 40 days and counting for me!

Enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts, lol

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Congrats on your baby! He is adorable! Ha! Ha! He is going to turn into a bundle of energy that will keep you on your toes!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
congratulations! Glad you found a good bird store through Phil, and now have a beautiful young bird who will be ready to go home soon!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You!!

Thank You Everyone for the nice, thoughtful compliments and good wishes:eek: I am waiting patiently, or at least trying to, until he is allowed to come home. The store where I am getting him from, Bird Paradise, is amazing. They also have an online store that I'm finding is cheaper than everywhere else I look for comparable products and run specials all the time... I wish more of you could be closer to the area so you could experience it, too....
Lindsey:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts