Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 5 month old male spends a lot of time with me but, well, Im not a bird. Would it be more fun for him to have time with other birds? Would he get down afterwards when he returns to a home with no birds? Would it affect our bonding?

Has anybody had good experiences with this, and if so, anyone in San Francisco that would like to try it out?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I understand that parrotlets can be very territorial. And down right mean to other birds at times. If you do so i would suggest making sure the other bird isn't harboring any illness and only under supervision. Others will have an more educated idea maybe. Take pics of your play date if you go ahead with it. We wanna see!!!!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes, they usually don't play well with others, especially if they don't know the bird or person. Stressful and also, I worry about passing an illness to my bird. I never even took Chipper to bird club meetings.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Goodness, I can't imagine my P'let wanting a playdate with ANY bird! They don't usually get along with other types of birds, and barely get along with other P'lets (they usually have to live in separate cages). I have a Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, and she can't be anywhere near my Parrotlet, because the Parrotlet will ATTACK her in a heartbeat!

I'm just happy my P'let finally gets along with ME! I adopted her almost two years ago (she's 3 now), and it took her almost a YEAR to decide I wasn't going to kill her! She's bonded to me, and that's fine with me!

Besides a P'let not getting along with ANY other birds, there's the whole potential for disease thing to worry about. I go to a bird fair once a year, and when I come home, I shower, wash my hair and change clothes before I go anywhere near my birds!

So, I'd say no, I don't think playdates would work -- just my opinion though!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I used to go to bird fairs too. My husband and I would take shower afterwards also. That is really a place for illnesses. So many birds.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
You said it! I never touch any birds I see at the fair, just look. I never buy bird food their either. I mostly go for the toys, and what I buy, I clean thoroughly before giving them to my babies!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I understand that parrotlets can be very territorial. And down right mean to other birds at times. If you do so i would suggest making sure the other bird isn't harboring any illness and only under supervision. Others will have an more educated idea maybe. Take pics of your play date if you go ahead with it. We wanna see!!!!

I agree with this post. Parrotlets are very territoral and I would worry about illness transmisstion.

You have to be very careful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts