Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roti's pinfeathers on his head have been there for over a year. (I should have reached out sooner but I thought it would get better and my mom was unsure/not too worried and I just have no idea how to help it).

His poor little head is shabby looking with a mix match of pinfeathers (kinda like this: http://www.thefinsters.com/flog/media/1/20030309-pinfeather.jpg ) but a bit more on the top of his head, they are really long.

I have tried googling things and have only gotten a few results that I am not sure of? Malnutrition seems to be the main thing I see, then there are diseases but I am unsure of those signs.

I currently feeding him ZuPreem's Fruitblend ( http://www.petmountain.com/photos/product/giant/114420S525807/-/10-lbs.jpg ) and occasionally mixed seeds to try to give him some fat and protein. I am afraid he is also kind of thin. I don't give him fresh food because he is such a pain with it, he tosses it all out into the bottom of his cage and doesn't seem to eat it much. Also, he doesn't really bathe. I don't know why but he hates water. He "fake bathes" where is kinda dips his beak in excitedly but never really gets wet. And I have tried bathing him myself but he was just so upset with it. :(

Oh and also he sits by my window and gets real and fake light, downstairs so he has a lot of interaction with the family. I moved him upstairs in my room recently because I want to take him out more on his T perch.

In the winter is was a little worse so I tried misting him but I don't think it did much, and he HATES misting/water. When spring/summer came this year is was better a bit but he is getting worse again. The weather hasn't changed much, maybe a little gooler but I am not sure what is triggering it.

Should I take him to a vet? Do I need a diet change? Should I try to get him to eat more fresh foods? Is he not wet enough?

If anyone has any ideas I would really love it, my poor baby is kinda scraggly looking and it breaks my heart. I want to see him fit and healthy like this: http://www.exoticwings.com/bird-info/pacific-parrotlet---pacific-parrotlet-forpus-coelestis.jpg He looks not much like that at all. :(

If anyone wants pictures I can take some.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Alot of people here recommend helping by removing the casting off the pin feathers. My parrotlet is just entering his first moly so have yet to deal with the dreaded pin feathers. You could also add organic aloe to his bath water.Hope a more knowledgeable person responds soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply! I have been reading a little on how to help remove them now. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Of course we want pictures...no such thing as too many parrotlet pictures! :)
Does Roti allow or ask for head scritches? If so, you can help by removing the keratin covering on the feathers. I posted a video of what it looks like when I do this for Tumi. http://talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=39721
It is likely that they are not the same pin feathers all year, but that he is molting a bit throughout the year. Unfortunately, birds in captivity follow no set molting pattern, so anything goes! I'd try offering him some nice, very healthy cooked food to add some nutrition, especially extra protein to help with the feather formation. You can also make a very healthy birdie bread recipe and add just a touch of something like Red Palm or Coconut Oil to help him with his feathers.
The short answer is, he's fine.
As far as not bathing, you can consider a humidifier to help if the air is dry in his space, just be careful about mold growing in those and don't make it a tropical jungle, parrotlets are closer to desert dwellers than jungle creatures. ;)
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
If he allows, I would gently rub them yourself or with something like a toothbrush. If he doesn't allow that. Give him something that he can rub his head on. Noodle won't let me do it, and before Indi started doing it for him, he would rub his head on certain toys which usually took care of it.

·
Super Moderator
4,460 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Huey also seems to have a never ending supply of pinnies on his head and neck area. He loves to have me remove the casing or he rubs on his perch. I also wondered about this because there are new ones every day. He just loves scritches though.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Ollie gets a few, but either me or my budgie remove the keratin. Ollie will rub his head on the sanded perch, which helps. I don't like seeing pinnies, so I get to work on them and Ollie appreciates it.
Ollie has bathed on his own recently, they don't seem to do if often. I have misted him in his smaller cage outside with partial sunlight. He wasn't too happy, but only did it once. Aloe added to the water helps, from what I understand. Add a small amount of red palm or coconut oil to cooked veggies for him may help, too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
my riley has a toy with a bell and he hits the bell and lets it rub back over his head to scratch it..funny but i guess it works. I also use the bird bath that you get for the pet stores. I dont use it all the time maybe once a month or so and spray everyday..with warm water..hope you can help the little guy...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just remove them yourself!!! Pin feathers are itchy and provide a good bonding experience when you preen them... Like a real member of the flock!!!
But make sure they are pin feathers and not blood great hers. Blood feathers are immature pins that are still creating the feather so are still connected to a blood supply. They hurt and will bleed non stop... They will usally tell you if it's a pin or blood feather, but better safe then sorry!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I know this is a little late but - as the previous posters said, the best way to help is to peel them off yourself. I do this for Milo every few days during molting season. He loves it, sitting there with his eyes closed and his mouth hanging open, but I know not all birds will allow it.

It's very unlikely that they are the same pinnies all year. After a week or two of coming in, the bird will scratch the keratin sheathing off when he or she scratches his/her head as it becomes loose when the feather is ready to open. It sounds like what is happening is new ones are coming in before he can keep up with the old.

The main issue may be that his body is not sensing seasonal change. How much real light does he get? Milo molts pretty bad from spring through fall, and then slows down significantly. He is in a room with a window 24/7. He also goes to sleep and wakes up on a strict schedule.

If he lets your scratch his head, try peeling the sheath off yourself. I find it is easier to use my fingernails on my thumb and forefinger, and roll them back and forth gently until it comes loose. If the pin is still dark in color, it is not ready yet and will bleed and cause pain if you try to open it too early. Not to mention you might get a nice bite. Wait until it is completely white and looks like it's about to flake off.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts