Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all. I promised I would post some pictures of my new baby once I got him home. Here they are. His name is Picasso (for his blue period). I brought him home last Tuesday, but things have been really busy, so I haven't been able to post these until today. He chirps up a storm, eats well and is a joy to play with. He does have his little mood swings, but then again, so do I.;)

I have never posted photos before, so I hope I attached them correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
His name is Picasso (for his blue period).
Very Cute – I love how you picked his name ;)

Picasso what a great name and he’s absolutely ADORABLE – he has so many different shades of blue, very cute Parrotlet.

As for his little mood swings I think that is one of their many charming qualities. If any Parrotlet owner says their Parrotlet isn’t moody from time to time they’re delusional IMO :D :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes, he has lots of different shades of blue, and it seems he gets more every day. Love the comment about the mood swings... He can also get very bossy if he wants attention, of course he always seems to get what he wants. He seems to be quite smart also. I will set him on the floor and get a good distance away, call him and offer a treat and he comes running. It is hilarious to watch, but good exercise for him. And, of course, I make sure my dogs are outside during the times Picasso is out of his cage. Buster, one of my dogs loves to sit on the arm of the couch and watch Picasso. He will do this for hours, even to the point where he has fallen asleep in that position.

Speaking of sleep, Picasso acts like a spoiled child when it's bed time. The breeder said she never covered him, so I have been covering him gradually as to avoid upsetting him, but even so, when he knows it's time for bed, he will crawl up to the highest point in his cage and hang on the bars as if protesting that he is not sleepy until he falls asleep, still gripping the bars. I have been trying to get him to stay on his perch during that time because I am afraid he will hurt his feet or accidentally let go while he is sleeping and fall. Last night he fell asleep on his ball toy. Is my fear justified? Will it hurt him to sleep gripping the bars or is this normal for them?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
That’s cute – they are adorable when they run especially the young ones :D

The thing about them not being afraid of any other creature is very true – mine still love to fly to the floor (or plop in my females case, her wings haven’t grown in yet – she’s 5 months now and they are beginning to grow in :) )- I discourage the floor now (well as much as I can :eek: they're relentless) because they had started to bite at the baseboards and they are painted so I pick them up when they land there now – but as soon as one lands on the floor my dog gets up and leaves the room – He learned that from my Senegal who didn’t like the dog and had bitten him on occasion and so he remembers bird bites :( - my male P’let will charge him so he just leaves the room and stays clear of the birds.

The sleeping on the bars – I’ve heard some do this. My female when I first got her clung to the side of the bars at night also – so I fixed a perch to the highest point in her cage that I could and placed it closest to one of the corners of the cage and coaxed her onto it – she began sleeping there.

I agree with you, it doesn’t look too comfortable clinging to the bars. Try doing the same – they really like to roost at the highest point in the cage.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I hope he finds a good place to sleep. Chipper sleeps between the cage and her ball toy. That is the middle of her cage.

What do your cage/toys look like?

Picasso is so pretty!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulie sleeps on his swing...that isn't the highest perch in his cage. He has a dark, navy blue "blanket" so I guess he feels safe there. When he hears me up and about in the morning, he climbs to his highest perch and stays there until time to get up. He sleeps 12 or 13 hours

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulie sleep on his swing, which is not the highest perch in his cage. He has a navy blue "blanket", so I guess he feels safe enough. When he hears me up and about in the morning, he climbs up to his highest perch and stays there until time to get up...he sleeps 12 to 13 hours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plato & Mya,
Thank you. Picasso is about 9 weeks old.

Sally,
He has rings that he likes to weave in & out of, a funky plastic ball with a bunch of plastic threads sticking out of it, his perch, swing, a cozy tent thing, a string of clothespins/blocks/bells and his ladder. The last few nights he has been falling asleep on that crazy ball while holding on to the cage with his other foot for balance. He hasn't fallen off yet, so I guess he is okay. He won't sleep in his tent, he only uses it to play peek-a-boo with me. He started out sleeping only 7-8 hours, matching our sleeping patterns, but lately he has stopped his "spoiled child - I'm not sleepy yet" routine and he has begun falling asleep a couple hours earlier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pugswf,

I am not sure exactly which mutation he is, I am guessing the standard Pacific variety, but I will ask the lady I purchased him from. Every day he seems to get brighter colors.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
artistnut,

Great pictures of a cute bird! i like the name Picasso, fortunately, he isn't named after the abstract period...;) :D .

I wouldn't worry too much about his sleeping location, he'll figure things out soon enough.

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts