Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I remember some post by Andrea mentioning some breeding small females – I think I have a pretty small one – I thought she might fill out as she matured but she’s staying pretty petite – Here she is in comparison to my male.

·
Registered
835 Posts
She is on the small side. He looks like a normal 32 grams or so, she is probably around 26-27. Do you have a gram scale? She looks fine, but I do think it is interesting that some have gotten rather small. Parents that produce small babies will produce small males and females. Does she come from a pair where a parent or two were visual mutations? (blue, yellow, so forth)

PS - they are a lovely pair :)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I got her from the Parrotletranch, they had a closed aviary so I didn’t see any of the breeding birds – I didn’t inquire about her parents. I was told by the breeder she is a Lucida - a subspecies of the Pacific– The breeder said you could tell by the turquoise coloring running up her back under her feathers – but others on the site say their females have turquoise coloring also - so I don't know if that means anything or not.

I don’t know if being a Lucida has anything to do with her size. :confused:

I have a gram scale and my male is 32g - I don't have a perch on it and have never weighed the female because she won't voluntarily stay on the flat scale like my male will.

( maybe I'll weigh their small play gym and put her on and deduct the gym weight :p )

·
Registered
794 Posts
Bitsey Jo is really tiny too Pado. I posted that last year, I can't remember the conversation. Jo is a very little girl. I don't know her history. She may think she is Paris or Nicole. She's weally widdle.

R. peepers, he is gone for her. Lifes good.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Pado,

MeMe used to appear slightly smaller than Sparky but since he's been 'defoliated' she now looks much bigger :) .

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts