Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone and bought the PERFECT parrotlet cage. It's antique painted wood with metal painted bars 1.5 iches apart 10x10x10 inches in demension. I figure i'll use some rust proof spray paint to repaint it. It's awsome. I think I can fit 3-4 birds in there. I've got some stryrofoam toys and shiny beads on a string as toys, aswell as a nylon rope (that will last longer than cotton). I'm putting it between the frig and the stove (the ventilation is better there). I've also got some nylon collars with zinc tags to go around the birds neck. :D OBVIOUSLY I'M JUST KIDDING! I would be an IDIOT if I did this. But seriously, I'm thinking about one of those acrylic cages to keep mess outside to a minnimum. What do you all think? I'm having a hard time finding a locally made one. I may have to build my own. I've not decided on demensions, but I'll go as big as I can. I've got to figure out the number of ventilation holes I'll need to put into the uppersides. Have any of you kept acrylic cages?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
DOH I though you were serious at first - I kept reading the 10x10x10 to see if there was 100 in there somewhere :eek: :p

The acrylic cages are neat to look at but when I inquired about them at our local Bird Shop once I was told they don't recommend them. They believe the ventilation isn't sufficient enough and also because of a birds dander and waste and food particles it can cause health issues over time in a bird living in one. I don't know first hand if any of that is valid but it was enough for me to consider a different cage - which I'm glad now that I did because the acrylic cage I wanted on line turned out to be way too small for a Parrotlet anyhow ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think if you wipe them down and clean them regularly that dander buildup wouldn't be an issue. I saw a large clear vission cage. It look nice. It was wire at the top 2/3 and acrylic at the bottom (suppose to be low mess). Anyone had one of these?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The way it was explained to me was even with daily cleaning the bird still breaths in its dander as it grooms and spores from its waste while in an acrylic cage and over time this can become a health issue - and God forbid if the cage misses a day of cleaning. A regular cage in general has better ventilation.

Most of the cages on the market today have the bottom grate and a drop down removable tray, which minimize mess. Also the slanted removable seed guards work remarkably well if mess is an issue.

Plus some mess is fun – its part of being a Parrot owner … Parrot slave :D :p

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think parrot slave is a better term. I don't own them. If I owned them, they would do what I say. They are worse then my cats.... at least they listen to me and might do what I want...

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
But like I said this is just hearsay – I’ve never had an acrylic cage but it made sense to me – Hopefully someone who has one will chime in ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read about them and besides what you all mentioned, they also supposedly aren't great because they inhibit the amount of exercise a bird usually gets from climbing around the cage on the bars. I'm sure it isn't much fun either, trying to get up without bars.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I read about them and besides what you all mentioned, they also supposedly aren't great because they inhibit the amount of exercise a bird usually gets from climbing around the cage on the bars. I'm sure it isn't much fun either, trying to get up without bars.
Another great point - My P'let use their bars a lot for climbing around -
Seraphim it not looking very promising for the Acrylic Cage :eek: :D :p

C'mon Acrylic caged people chime in ! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's ok. I could get one made with larger ventilation holes and place ladders and perches allover for climbing (I like the unobstructed look) or modify a rod iron cage with acrylic around the seed skirts.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Finn loves to climb up and down the bars of his cage, too. :p Honestly, I don't think he's messy enough to need a seed skirt. I put a rug down under his cage, but even that only needs shook out or vacuumed once a week or so. He's a tidy little boy outside his cage. c: I'm not a huge fan of the acrylic cages. They remind me too much of a fish tank. xD

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
another option is to buy the bowls that are on arms that attach to the side of a cage. It adds an extra perch and it keeps the bowls in the center of the cage, which keeps the seed and other foods in the middle of the cage. Plus there are the bowls that have a cover over them that minimizes mess as well. Gelato has one that I keep some dried veggies in.

Just giving some options. Hope it helps

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I spoke with a birds shop owner on Saturday and in discussing plucking (my bird is a champion plucker :rolleyes: ) she mentioned that one parrotlet that she knew of began to pluck as a result of living in a cage like you describe - apparently, even with the vents, there just isn't enough airflow to provide a healthy environment. Fortunately, once the owners put that bird in a regular cage, it stopped plucking.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
We have very little mess with Kiwi's cage and as others have stated...she likes her bars and I like the fact that she has the fresh air around her. The mess she makes is when she's with us at the kitchen table for her dinner that she likes to fling at times. Easy clean up for the table so the cage remains cleaner.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The mess she makes is when she's with us at the kitchen table for her dinner that she likes to fling at times
Mustang :D :D Thats so true - they make a huge mess when they are eating outside of their cages - wiping their little sticky beaks on the edges of everything and flinging - Fresh Strawberries are the worst :D :D :D

I never have a problem with much mess in the cage.

seraphim - Yes, the acrylic/Plexiglass seed skirts work great - I have 3 1/2 inches of it around the bottom of my cage and it works really well.

Art - Nice to hear from you :D :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts