Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

Just wanted to share how I managed to transition Monty off seeds to pellets recently in case anyone was feeling stuck (like I was!).

I was trying to do the ratio thing (lessen the seeds, increase pellets gradually), but it just wasn't working (he'd just pick the seeds and then rummage in his bowl for ages looking for more, but not touching the pellets). Then with his megabacteria/AGY issue, I didn't want to prevent him from getting food.

But now he's managed to eat mostly pellet with a couple of nutriberries if I'm away at work all day (I work from home two days, and my partner is sometimes home so I don't give him nutriberries constantly anymore).

I have two bowls - one is his regular dry pellets that are there all day and I change every two days (or if soiled), and the other is his dinner bowl (where at dinner time he gets his veggies/fruit). That bowl is not always there, so he knows that if the bowl is there = something new to eat/exciting. So I started one day just putting wet pellets in there... they blow up like balloons and become nice and soft. I started doing this so I could put his probiotic on it and it would stick, but then turns out his loved the mushy pellets! I'd change the bowl every 2 - 3 hours when I was at home and everytime I'd change it he'd go crazy and starting eating up the pellets. I guess he got a taste for them because then I just slowly lowered the amount of water I put into the pellets and lo and behold this morning he got really excited for me to put a bowl of plain dry pellets in front of him (even though he already had pellets in his other bowl... I guess he just likes the "new" thing and the attention). He started eating them up and dancing around his cage like he's gotten something very tasty... parrotlets are weird.

Anyway, tl;dr, if anyone is having trouble with the traditional transition to pellets, try wetting them! I used the cockatiel Zupreem pellets (the brown ones, not the dyed ones).

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Glad you found something that worked!! It's always a relief when you see them steadily eating. I got lucky because the slow switch worked for Milo and Luka.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Great!

We too did the wet pellets, then I gradually decreased then just replaced with regular pellets and he now eats them. This worked for us, might not for you.Once he decided he liked them he ate them.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Great! I posted this "wet" procedure a month or so ago! You can attach wet pellets to anything!
I think they know you are tricking them, but some birds love mushy stuff.
Ricochet, my new baby, will not touch broccoli if it is a floret. But, if I split the floret up into small pieces, then he will eat it all!
It is all in the presentation.

David and Ricochet:cool:;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great! I posted this "wet" procedure a month or so ago! You can attach wet pellets to anything!
I think they know you are tricking them, but some birds love mushy stuff.
Ricochet, my new baby, will not touch broccoli if it is a floret. But, if I split the floret up into small pieces, then he will eat it all!
It is all in the presentation.

David and Ricochet:cool:;)
I think you did! I may have unconsciously stolen that idea from that post but I couldn't remember who to credit. They are all so funny.... Monty loves his broccoli in florets, but just won't eat sweet potato except a bite or two regardless of how I present it, even though lots of people on the forum say their birds love potato. :p Picky little buggers.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
For what it's worth, a good way to get some Ecotrition Vita-Sol into your bird is to put about 3-4 drops of it onto the dry pellets and stir them around until you feel satisfied that the pellets have all had a chance to come into contact with the solution drops.

Fools Daisy every time! And, since she is a fresh-chop snob and won't have anything to do with fresh veggies (although she does love a nice strawberry every now and again) I know that between the pellets and the Vita-Sol she's got her bases covered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts