Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use the pellet berries for training and bonding and regular pellets with her every day food. I came across a site somewhere (can't remember) that said to do 75% seed 25% pellets the first week, 50/50 the second, 25/75 the third to help with the transition. Saffron was already on pellets so I haven't had to put a bird on a pellet diet, yet. Our new guy we're bringing home Sunday is currently on all seed and will need to be switch. :(

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I have been trying to get my Huey to eat more pellets. I have been adjusting his mix so there is more pellets and I feed him every other day because there is still food left but it is stuff he does not like ( I just put a small amount in on the second day)

He used to like Zupreem round little pellets but the vet said to give him Harrisons.

About 4 days ago I took a small dish and put about a dozen Zupreem and a bit of water and microwaved for 5 seconds and let them sit.

I put them on top of his food and for the last two days his food bowl has been almost empty! This morning he dove right in and ate all of the pellets, Very exciting, he even picked one out from between the grate on the bottom. Hopefully this keeps up and he continues to like them.

I use Nutraberries as snacks but other members use them as food.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My only apprehension with the nutriberries are LOADED with corn syrup, I was pretty off-put when I first got them, checked the back and BAM one of the first ingredients is liquid sugar.

Keep them as treats! It helped Otis to eat pellets when I pretended I LOVED his Tops Crumplets, putting my face close to a handful and going YUM,YUMYUM. He quickly hopped over and tried them. He's not fond of them but hey, at least he recognizes it as food!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I keep one dish of regular seed (by 'regular' I mean seed mixed for Parrotlets) and one dish of Nutriberries (only 5 in there per day) and another dish for the daily fresh fruit/veggies that she gets.

I've tried to wean her onto pellets at least 3 different times and every time she would refuse to eat them and had me worried that if she didn't eat something I'd end up killing her. So, Nutriberries filled that void.

I haven't tried pellets warmed with water---may give that one a try since I'd much prefer she ate pellets to seed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tumi likes his pellets wet and warm in the mornings, like a pellet oatmeal. :)
I've never tried getting them wet and warming them. Saffron eats her pellets but prefers the fresh veggies, mash, and millet to them. Maybe I should try that and see if she likes it better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweetie loves applesauce mixed with cinnamon on wheat toast she gets that every morning i have made and freezed veggie mash and fruit mash but she will not touch it at all i guess she doesnt like mushy food. when i got her i bought her seed higgins safflower gold for cockatiels and conures and zupreem fruit blend. she will not touch the fruit blend at all i bought the wrong size and i wonder if thats the reason she wont eat it but i have tried mashing it up with some water with no luck at all. i am buying the nutri berries but still unsure of the pellet food. i kinda wanna buy the fruit blend in the smaller bites but am afraid of wasting money and food if she doesnt eat it. i am thinking about getting harrison's or roudy bush.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I use the water I am using to make my tea, just long before it is boiling. You don't want to give it hot, so I either only use the water at about 100 degrees Fahrenheit or I stick it in the freezer to cooler before feeding breakfast. He dives in beak first! :)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I use the water I am using to make my tea, just long before it is boiling. You don't want to give it hot, so I either only use the water at about 100 degrees Fahrenheit or I stick it in the freezer to cooler before feeding breakfast. He dives in beak first! :)
Our water here is disgusting tasting and I won't drink it, I use the filtered water from the fridge and pop it in the microwave for 5 seconds and then let it soak for about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Our water here is disgusting tasting and I won't drink it, I use the filtered water from the fridge and pop it in the microwave for 5 seconds and then let it soak for about 5 minutes.
Saffron is spoiled. :p Half the time I drink the tap water (ugh) and she gets the nice filtered water from the fridge.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I use filtered water for my tea, although normally Tumi gets bottled, not filtered, water. So much moving has me hesitant to give him too much local water, even filtered.

·
Super Moderator
4,460 Posts
By the time Jules gets our tap water, it has gone through the city's water system, our water softener, our additional sand and gravel filter, a brita filter or fridge water filter. Then she gets it. Even with that half the time we give her bottled water from various vendors just to mix it up.
I used to be a salt water aquarium hobbyist and became aware of how water can become toxic if given to small sensitive creatures from the same source. It is a real problem with the corals and I just took that knowledge and applied it to birds. I want to be sure there are no heavy metal build up by single sourcing water over a short time without giving impurities time to work out of her system.

·
Super Moderator
4,460 Posts
I use filtered water for my tea, although normally Tumi gets bottled, not filtered, water. So much moving has me hesitant to give him too much local water, even filtered.
I think that is smart. Water like food should be based on the variety is best principle. If you think about it in the wild the likelihood of birds getting their drinking from the same place all the time is low. In the wild they will be getting water from leaves, fruits, puddles, streams, rivers, pools, ponds, springs, etc. Each source would be a unique combination of impurities, minerals, etc. Some good and some bad but all usable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i switched her to roudybush and i bought the mini sized pellets of the zupreem fruit blend she LOVES it she will eat all day now and she loves the nutri berries i still have a bag full of the higgins safflower and i will be mixing that with her mash to get her to try it i just heated up some veggie mash and i put a scoop of the safflower mix into it she dove right in. she will only eat her fresh food from the treat dish on her playground or out of my hand she hardly ever eats her fresh food in a dish thats in her cage.. such a picky lil girl :D

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I have a question....... Huey will now eat pellets that have been soaked, I am putting them on top of his seed mix, (cutting seed mix in 1/2) when I come home now the dish is empty! I do not know if he is eating or tossing, but it never in the year I had him has he emptied the dish. Today I put regular dried pellets in the other food dish and I see he ate some of the Zupreem, but he is chowing down on his nutraberry treat like he is hungry.

1) Is it ok to leave the wet pellets in his cage all day, if so maybe I will give him more.

2) Do you think he is hungry or looking for more wet pellets?

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I've been assuming that wet pellets are perishable and removing them after about an hour, and only giving him breakfast and dinner with wet pellets. It is my assumption, though, with no evidence.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I've been assuming that wet pellets are perishable and removing them after about an hour, and only giving him breakfast and dinner with wet pellets. It is my assumption, though, with no evidence.
I figured they would dry out. He is still eating when I leave in the am, and if I put him to bed any earlier in order to let him have his 12 hours then I will never get to spend time with him. In the evening he gets his people food and he loves that, he is out for a while then off to bed.

I never gave him any food that was perishable before in his cage, the perishable stuff was always fed outside of cage.

Edit: I searched google and it seems like a few hours in the cage is all that they should be left in there. I guess I will just give him some normal pellets in one dish and the wet ones in the other dish. (This coming home to empty dishes is freaking me out)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts