Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a mere 8 years, I have been successful in getting Tumi to eat pellets. I thought I'd share my success for those who are trying.

First, the reason for the conversion is that his vet officially declared him pudgy and in need of a better diet. I had him on a high quality seed, but he would only pick out what he wanted and ignore the rest. His vet suggested pellets, but was happy with the middle step of him eating nutriberries only. So, as he already ate a fair amount of nutriberries, I simply stopped offering seed and only offered nutriberries.

He ate only nutriberries for several weeks. I tried offering pellets intermittently (Tops mini), but he had no interest in them. I had been offering them wet, dry, pretending to eat them, everything. The most he would do would be to throw them out of the dish with a look of utter distain.

Then we went to my mom's for spring break, with him still eating only nutriberries. We came back with the weekend still (I teach school), so I decided to try the "if he's hungry, he will eat it" method. That morning, I put him in his play cage (not his normal cage) and only put in a dish of pellets. To my SHOCK, after only a couple minutes of telling me off, he started eating! That day, he ate or pulverized his entire dish of pellets! That evening, I gave him some nutriberries, which he pigged out on, but I did NOT put them in the cage with him.

All this week, I have only offered him pellets in his cage, and he has been eating them!!!!! In the evenings, I have been offering nutriberries out of the cage with me, and in his sleeping cage he has nutriberries, so I know that he is eating enough food. But my tiny monster is eating pellets! :) I hope it sticks, although this summer he won't have choices because I am having to board him the whole summer and they will feed him his pellets. I haven't yet put him in his main cage because I need to reorganize it to only contain pellets and I didn't want to risk his new dietary habits.

Btw, he's not eating pellets alone. I also feed veggies (and some fruits), and, as noted, he gets nutriberries.

Registered
Congratulations!! I think you should get an award for persistence! Of course, hearing Tumi was pudgy would no doubt have redoubled your resolve - haha! I remember the way I felt when I was told Kiwi was pudgy. 馃槺 Super well done!

Registered
Wonderful, I did the if hes hungry he will eat too. I reduced seed to almost nothing and had the pellets there with Huey, Sunshine eats them no problem.

Im glad it worked out for you.

Registered
So I have a question鈥.the breeder I got my little monster from (born 1/19/2022) told me 鈥 pellets are for treats only鈥ut feed seeds all day , and lots of millet鈥.
this is contrary to all I鈥檝e read鈥鈥檓 just quoting what she said.
he will eat pellets off my finger but not from his dish.
hmmmmm

Registered
That is certainly the opposite of what my av铆an vet has told me. With over 30 years experience and involvement in the international avian vet community, I always trusted her advice. I have heard seed and millet are important for their diet in small quantities and as a treat and also during periods of illness to help them maintain body temperature, but never that they should be a primary source.

I should also mention that when I said Kiwi eats meat and fish, I also mean on occasion and in small quantities. I hope I didn鈥檛 give the impression it should be a main part of a parrotlet鈥檚 diet (although she would eat it to the exclusion of other things). 馃槺 My vet actually shared her salmon dinner with Kiwi when she has to stay at the vet for her gastric yeast infection (some of you may remember that scare). She was amused how much Kiwi enjoyed it and it helped her keep her weight up while she was being treated and in an incubator. But again - not a regular thing. Just to be clear.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While breeders are generally knowledgeable and experienced with the raising of young birds, when it comes to the general care of my adult bird, I always turn to my avian vet. They go to many years of school for this, and learn from studies and textbooks. They take exams, have certification processes, and are required to keep learning throughout their careers. Breeders, on the other hand, simply need to have male and female birds that are willing to produce young, and then they have to help raise those young. I am not saying that breeding isn't a skill or work, but I am saying that when it comes to keeping an bird healthy, that is the job of an avian vet. If I want to know how to handfeed a baby bird, I will go with the breeder's skill.

Tumi's avian vet recommended a pellet diet in addition to his fresh veggies and fruits. I selected TOPS pellets, which, while expensive, are nutritionally the best.

Registered
Blu will eat pellets from my fingertip, but not from his bowl. So I try my best to give him as much as possible. We tried the Harrison鈥檚 super fine. The fine were too big for him yet.
im trying to vary his food.
id prefer if he ate more pellets than seed 鈥.I 鈥榝eel鈥 they are more balanced.

Administrator
traditional thought is pellet only. Mainly this is by vets giving advise to their most common owner type which is a bird owner that does not really fuss with their birds. Mainly caged bird owners. Usually not the type of owner we get here. The main reason is because our little ones have a habit of getting single focused on a few type of seeds and ignoring the others so even if they had a good selection of seeds they would become malnourished. Pellets was the solution to that issue since it forced a balanced diet. unfortunately it was discovered / thought that the all pellet diet caused issues with smaller bird like parrotlets. Especially the mutations. So then the concept of adding some seed was suggested.
I asked my vet about about best diet. Her answer is that we should feed our little ones the healthiest diet they would eat. That should include as much variety as possible. Both seed, millet, pellets, veggies, fruit, lean meat, egg, even bread, noodles, etc. as much variety as possible for balance.

Registered
That sounds like sound advice.
My little guy just seems to pick out his favorite seeds. Not very interested in fresh food but I will continue to hang it and try to hand feed it to him.
~ he does seem to notice when 鈥業鈥 eat anything鈥akes me laugh how he rushes over to investigate but he doesn鈥檛 always take the bait !
~ they are funny little creatures. I should have named him 鈥橵elcro鈥 ~ wants to be ON me all the time.

Registered
I have not written in this forum for a while. I am glad to see that the age old question of " seed vs pellet " is still around. Both are good for a well rounded diet. Every vet I have had the pleasure of dealing with for over 5 decades has told me that both pellets and seeds should be offered., along with nutritious treats. It is okay for a parrotlet to sneak a bite of pizza or flavored popcorn , etc., from time to time.

If you have a bird who needs a special diet, then your vet is the one who should guide you in choosing the correct foods. I leaned heavily on the information my bird's vets offered me over the years. I had hundred's of birds over the years and they enjoyed the variety that they had in their diets. So did I!

Dave

Registered
I think TOP's pellet are especially dusgu... unattractive to parrotlets and parakeets. Even hungry wild birds outside on my deck totally ignore them.

Pellets by Harrison's smell much better and are way more attractive to birds. Besides, there is mashed variant, which is easy to mix with other food.

By the way, this product is excellent: Bird Street Bistro Parrot Food https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086KLFSZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_A5WRNRBKDEAE9Y5BWPAB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1. I was always preparing my own "parrotlet porridge" from many healthy ingredients, including various freeze-dried fruits and vegetables. But this stuff is pretty much as good.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tumi thinks TOPS pellets are tasty, and of all the pellets on the market, I like the ingredients and the method of production the best. The other brands are more processed than I would prefer. He still is getting lots of nutriberries, but he is enjoying his pellets. Pellet breath is fun, though! He smells almost grass-like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts