Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
Well peanut is getting flat out mean. She bites me and bites hard...

My husband, not so much. She doesn't torment him half as much. He spends maybe 30 mins a day near her/in the room let alone with her. He thinks it might be due to her original breeder was a male and all her previous owners have been females? The females were not so good were as "Mommy" was good!

HELP I love peanut but she loves to BITE me.... The only time she dosent bite is if she needs to be picked up off the floor... Why I don't know... I think shes using me for my height!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
With the difficult life Peanut had before your rescued her this isn't so unusual. Peanut needs PLENTY of time to adjust - it could take months and months for her to completely settle in and to understand this is her forever home. She has been through a big ordeal in her short life with many changes and she didn't come from the best of backgrounds with kids yelling at her etc.

It is just going to take time and you have to be more diligent than her and wait it out. Just be patient with her and move slowly and keep your relationship strong - don't let her biting break any bond between you and - (this one is big) - the worst thing you can do is to take it personally - Her biting isn't personal - its probably been her one and only defense for her short year of life and until she learns her new world is different than her old world - she will use what she knows.

I don't believe because her breeder was a man she likes men more - If that was the case wild Parrots would like their parents more than their mates - doesn't work that way. She has been handled roughly in her past so she will act out more to the person who is trying to give her the most attention - that would be you not your husband.

There will be no quick fix with her - it will take time. And if you push her and take the attitude she is mean and bad you will never form a bond with her. I'm not trying to be mean here - its just a fact :)

And if like the last post said - nar1122 - if there is a molt in progress (they do molt at a year of age) this would combine the issue.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I always seem to agree with Pado but he is exactly right. She doesn't have to prove herself to you....you will have to prove yourself to her. She has huge trust issues. When you show her that no matter how rough she is with you, that you will not abandon her then she will come around. You can do it, she's little. i know it hurts...we ALL have and still do get bitten. it's not too bad. What ever you do don't jerk away. It's hard not to. But try try not to. She will come around and be the best little friend you ever had . She is just a little baby who was treated bad. You just have to love her bites and all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She chatters and *BITES* me... chewing is fine but she goes for blood... I put a glove on and put her bell toys back in.... She wasn't so brave then to try and bite me! i put the glove near her cage to get her used to it more hopefully as she seems afraid, but lately that is the only way I can get in there! I took the bell toys out wondering if that is why she was getting so mean but no luck!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
jupiter11600 -
You're already being resourceful ;) - Good for you ! - There are ways to get around their biting and outsmart them. I think all our birds bite from time to time (its a Parrotlet thing :p ) but outsmarting them is how we show our superiority :p

I've always done this with all the birds I've ever had that bite - I offer them the back part of my hand, I make a fist and let them try and bite, they can't because the skin is tight and the back part of your fist is flat.

This usually makes them give up - I do this and move my hand very slowly towards them and they always give it up - now as soon as my male gives that stance that he is even thinking about biting I immediately show the back of my fist and he stops. Its worth a try! ... they can bite all they want but can't get a grip and it doesn't hurt me.

This isn't done to hurt or scare them - its just because they can't get a bite in - I let them try but after a while they know they won't be able to intimidate you so they don't bother.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OOh yes that is what I was doing with her, But she learned that FAST!!!! I told my hubby here do this, offer her no skin to bite, but she soon learned my trick! She now goes for a more "Meaty" part! Don't ever think your parrotlets are dumb!!!! the glove seems to work well, My husband has been getting her to come to the cage wall and she puts her beak up so he can pet it, so she's learning we are not *SO* bad!!!

I think a lot of the problem was that she started to learn to get were she could bite me, and knew that i was afraid and would take my hand away but now we're good... Its a thin glove but it does the trick!! Now if she was a giant bird that'd be different :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I don't know if this would help any. Kiwi began to bite when I first got him... about the end of the 1st month.

I taught him that you weren't giong to get your way by biting. I know if hurts, but I let Kiwi bite me (yes, I had blood), but after awhile he started letting me pet him...

You seee, when I first got Kiwi, he would always fly away because he was scared... he would run away from all contact given to him. Then he developed biting to get his way, since it worked a few times. He got into the sequence of biting. I got so upset one day because he struck blood on my pinkie and wouldn't let go. Just like a few birds that my cousins had. I didnt want my bird to be like my cousins birds.

I let him bite me. I would try to pet him and he'd bite me and would not let go... I still with him on my finger, tried to pet him. He soon got rid of his biting and began to run again. To other people, he still bites and runs... but with me... well, he is glued to me :p

Maybe your parrotlet took to biting because maybe you draw back and leave them alone after that. I would say, Take it. When it bites you.. dont hold back keep trying to do what you are diong.... it will stop its biting habits and take to running. Not a problem solver for running :p , but at least afterwards yo uwont barely get bloody fingers anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts