Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From an email:
"The reason I'm undecided birds right now is because I really did want a small parrotlet, and
ended up with my linnie. Which, she is the sweetest bird I've ever seen; I'm lucky I got her!
I've done more research on parrotlets since I have gotten Bindy, the Linnie and am on one of the parrotlet yahoo groups. Which everyone loves their p'let, but most everyone has spoken of problems with them, and personality changes seem to be the worst."

I have to reply with the fact the Parrotlets are not simply tiny, adorable, fun, playful, cuddly parrots. They are HIGHLY INTELLIGENT and often do not receive the level of mental stimulation that they deserve. This happens with other species, but is largely the case with Parrotlets who go through a personality change or offer behavioral challenges. They need to be mentally and physically challenged or they will become bored. If they are not, and the novelty of being in a new home wears off they will change, and rightfully so. I feel that because they are so small, this is why their needs are so often overlooked.

We are doing some clicker training with seven Parrotlets in our shop, and two at home, as well as four breeders at home. They are responding wonderfully. They love the challenge. It makes them think, it gives them choices (which they must have!!) and it gives them physical exercise as well. It is fun for both of us and keeps them happy, content, and still retaining those pet qualities we so desire.

I actually had a three year old clicker train one yesterday. She did all the motions: got the bird accepting treats by hand, conditioned her to a clicker, conditioned her to the target stick, and then had him go through obstacle courses that she made. A ten year old girl was ecstatic at our shop to have taught on of the Parrotlets to fly to her on the "Come" command.

In any event Parrotlets can and will become either frightened and unfriendly or highly aggressive and territorial IF they are not receiving a quality life in all facets. It is a direct result of human neglect.

Point being, Parrotlets are awesome Parrots, but we have to keep their needs in first priority, just as any other bird. As long as we do that we will be more than pleased with the relationship formed with them.

I hope that this helps. And PLEASE share this with those Parrotlet people that you have read about that have some behavioral troubles with their little ones!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks so much Andrea for the information! I will definitely share it with the p'let group.
I do agree with you, with their small size I do think people think more of them being 'birds'
than an intelligent thinking parrot.

Thanks again!!
Tammie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts