Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of parrotlets about 3 weeks ago, and I set them up in a small aviary, with a indoor shelter of about 1x1 meters with a hough about 1,5 meters. They also have access to a outdoor aviary which is about 2x1meters and 3 meters high.

So fare tho, I must say they have been abit of a disapointment. They are by fare the most boring birds I have ever keept, and that includes finches. All they seem to do is sitt coudled up together on a perch, and move down to feed every now and then. They havent even checked out the outdoor aviary yet, all they have done for 3 weeks now is sitting on the favoritt perch.

Fare as I can tell they are healthy, droppings looks good, feathers and eyes looks good etc. They just seems perfectly happy sitting on the perch doing nothing. I bought them cause I wantet some birds with abit of action, birds climbing all over the place, playing with the toys and beeing active.

Question is if im doing someting wrong, are they missing anything, is this normal for parrotlets?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Have you tried any clicker training with them? Our parrotlets bombard me when I walk into their room. Even the wild parrotlets began to tame down and show interest in me when they live cageless in a free flighted bird room.

What kind of environmental enrichment has been offered? Toys? Foraging, etc.?

Do you keep other birds or animals around them? What is beside and outside of their aviary? Perhaps something is upsetting them and they are too scared to draw attention to themselves.

How old are they and where did they come from?
Perhaps they could have been previously caged in a very small cage in an area with very little stimulation and that maybe they are still over whelmed.

Whatever the case is, I suggest clicker training. There are some good threads in this forum about it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I believe something is not right--what it is, I don't know. Do you try to interact with them? Are they tame, or close to wild? Were they handfed babies? Where did you get them? Give us some details so we can help you.
:eek::eek:
They are nowhere near the most boring birds ever. They are one of the most fun.:):)

Don't be quick to jump to conclusions. Give them time, like memmey said, to adjust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not sure about the age, as they are store bougth sadly. They where housed in the same cage, but this is the second male that the hen has been teamed with, as the first got sold. The chemistry between them seems good tho, and they perch as close togheter as possible, feed at the same time etc.

They are housed in a aviary, with some tiels, budgies and a couple of Kakarikis as neighboors.

They are fare from tame, but they dont have any problems with me as long as I dont put my arms into the cage to change food or stuff like that, and even then they normaly just move away abit and they dont panic.

The aviary is in my garden, and is safe from all people but me and my wife. Theres not much noise or anything else like that really. The door to the aviary has been opened up for a week now, and I have placed a few treats on it in the hopes that this would draw them out, but no luck so fare.

·
Registered
351 Posts
They are housed in a aviary, with some tiels, budgies and a couple of Kakarikis as neighboors.

They are in the same aviary as these other birds? P'lets and tiels/budgies are not a good mix in an aviary, you'll end up with missing toes. Did you quarantine the pair before adding them to the aviary? I'm going to assume no, since its only been 3 weeks. 3 weeks is a very short period of time for them to adjust to aviary life. They have spent all their lives in a small cage, and have to learn what freedome is. Give it time!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have not heard the words Parrotlets and boring together before. We have a great time watching our Chipper play. It takes time to get them happy and used to the new home after you get them. Then, they each love different toys and need lots of space for larger toys, not just little ones.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If anything, I think they should try to be a bit MORE boring, haha :p
Yes, agreed with the rest - just more time and love :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
You know they are very intelligent little things. They are probably clinging to each other till they see how the pecking order goes. It happens in your front yard with wild birds so you know it will happen in an aviary even more. If you watch there is probably an area for each of them that is their territory. Please watch for toe injury and eye also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts