Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a parrotlet. I have heard big personality for a little bird. I have heard aggressive but can be tamed. I might buy one from a breeder in the area. She says they are hand fed and I would get it as a baby. I have heard that they can make great pets. Considering I might get a hand fed baby, does that meant that the bird will become a one-person bird, or could it become tame around family members if we all spent time with it. Any other information for a newbie would be appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Welcome aboard Dougy!

There is a surprisingly wide range of personalities exibited by these little creatures. Parrotlets are good pets but, know what you are buying, their little idiosyncracies are less of an issue as long as you are aware that you are getting the smallest of the true parrots (related to Amazons) as opposed to parakeets. They require significantly more attention but can be significantly more rewarding. Ours are friendly to most people and have never had biting issues with us or strangers.

Spend some and read through the threads here, you should get a sense of the range of personalities available and what is involved.

Good Luck,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree with Art and then all the Parakeet owners will also say that their little birds need alot of attention too but the Parrotlet is like a minature Amazon that is to say no one told them that they are little. I would ask if you have young children? I would wonder how much contact they would be having with the P'let if you do. If you get a handfed baby remember it will be very young baby itself. I would not want your children to get bit and I would not want the baby bird hurt either. Sometimes during the process of getting acquainted your probably gonna get bit. I'm gonna stop with all the specifics and just say do your homework and read all you can about personalites and nutrition and cage requirements, sleep requirements then make your choice. They are a wonderful choice but they are not little passive birds. Good luck

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome, Dougy!

Personalities differ in birds just like in humans, but it definitely helps if you socialize your P'let at an early age. The more people he meets, the more likely he'll probably be in accepting new/more people.

My little boy, Nemo, loves everyone, and enjoys the company of everyone in the family. So if your bird's exposed to all the family members once you bring him home, and everyone spends some quality time with him, I think without a doubt that he'll learn to accept and be tame around everyone.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Dough - I agree with the other posts - each bird is an individual and as with us humans can have its own tastes.

Although, the Parrotlet species as a whole are not know to be one person birds - But I have read that if not interacted with and handled frequently
they can revert to being untamed.

I've lived with a one person bird with my last bird, a Senegal and my Parrotlet is the complete opposite - he will go to anyone as long as he is getting more attention.

I think they make fantastic pets as long as their needs are met.

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts