Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner really (and I mean, REALLY) wants a dog to join our family. I'm on board, as long as lil Kevin (our P'let) won't lose attention or play time over it.

Basically, I want to know if anyone has a dog in their home, how the parrotlet and dog interact (if they do) and what measures and steps do I need to take to ensure Kevin's wellbeing, safety, and happiness.

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hi,
I own both birds, cats and dogs and yes, they can live in harmony:D but you have to set boundaries. I never have a bird out of its cage without first making sure the cats and dogs are out of the room. I was lucky in that neither my dogs or cats showed any interest in the cages or birds other than one dog sits in wait for treats to be flung from my A. Greys cage! I'm not complaining, she does a good job cleaning up! :D
You don't say if you plan on getting a puppy or older dog? I really don't know if it would make a difference but until you are absolutely sure the dog is not interested I would keep them separated in different rooms whilst you are out (possibly crate the dog)
Good luck! keep us updated :)

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
One of my dogs will go after my birds if given a chance. I've worked with her, so now she leaves them alone... but of course if they flit by her, she will attempt to catch them (good thing there's always a screen door between them!). It's natural instinct and I'm perfectly aware that the dog can't prevent the instinct to chase. With that said, my other dog is a scaredy-cat and is frightened of the birds. But once, one of the p'lets got out and landed on him, freaked him out and he attempted to bite the bird to get her off. Good thing I was there to scoop the p'let off the dog before he was able to do anything but turn his head!

So, in the end, I never trusts other animals with the birds. It's too instinctual for them to chase.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I have 2 P'lets and 2 dogs. I don't allow any interaction, one of my dogs , when she was younger would catch wild birds, so I know she would love to get one of mine. Just have to be careful. They cannot be taught to play with each other, takes less then a second for a dog to grab the bird. We have no problems, just keep them apart.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a parrotlet and a cockatiel i don't seem to have any problems with my little dog, she is a maltese, pretty laid back dog.

good luck..

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a chihuahua who I can't lock out of the room when I play with my bird because he freaks if he gets left out. So he's always around and my bird has gotten so used to him she's even tried twice to hop on his back! He's a very gentle dog but I know it would only take one bite. So I try to keep them separated by a few feet at least and keep an eye on both their body language. I remind the dog to be gentle and be nice. The best advice is probably not to take any chances and just keep them apart.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a little yorkie/miniature dachshund mix and Tiki my p'let. I do not let them intermingle at all. Molly, my dog seems to have adjusted to Tiki ok, Tiki on the other hand never had any interest at all in our dog. However, Molly is a tiny little girl, very quick & loves her sqeaky toys. I am afraid if she ever had the opportunity she would think Molly was a toy and try to pick him up and literally sqeak him. I love them both too much to take a chance with the what ifs....

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have two dogs (shihtzu and a chihuahua) I had a p'let for 6yrs. My dogs never showed any interest and I took the uttermost care with them. One day I dropped my guard not even a thought in my head anything would happen. My bird flew and landed on the floor and my shih-tzu grabbed him and killed him before I could even say a word or make a movement.

I don't believe in anyone who states "birds and dogs or cats can live together peacefully" regardless of if your dog or cat shows interest or not. It's programmed in them to hunt and prey on smaller species.

With that being said, it takes a second, litterally a blink of a eye. Yes, you can have dogs and cats with birds, but if you are going to be putting your bird on your dog, you are asking for trouble. IMO I don't think it's "cute" it's rather dangerous and ignorant, if you ask me. I have precautions in place now with my bird and I will not drop my guard again.

So yes, you can have both but you have to have realistic expectations. No, they cannot be "friends" and no, your dog probably wont "like your bird"..It'll probably show interest because it mostly wants to eat or kill your bird. It's not because it "wants to play"....

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a cairn terrier. At first, she was VERY curious about the bird and I was nervous. Now, she really likes the bird because she likes eating the seeds/veggies that Cricket drops (sometimes on purpose- Cricket finds the dog entertaining!). However, if the bird gets to close, my dog runs away. Cricket has somehow let my dog know that she is the boss. Pretty cute. :) I think they can easily co-exist as long as precautions are taken :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts