Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bokeh will be 8 in a few months. All he eats is Harrison's extra fine and millet for training. He has a HUGE!!!! daytime castle (it's 5 ft long, he can do laps), and he gets out to fly for at least 30 minutes every day.

I'm not a cognitive scientist, but I've been studying cog. sci. for years and have been able to synthesize and apply cog. sci. into professional training successfully, for a couple of decades now. So I have some cog. sci. observations and questions to relay:

== talking

Bokeh has a vocabulary of about 20 phrases. What we've noticed is that he has attached meaning to many of these phrases.

• He sings the X-files theme when he's calling to you from a separate room.
  • When we go to the front door, he's likely to shout out our dog or cat's name.
  • when he's angry he shouts, "what-er you doin?"
  • when he wants you to talk to him he says, "perception action, it's not rocket science"
  • when breakfast is late, he'll angrily pace around his castle saying, "Bokeh's a bad-ass!"
(he has to lift his wings for the "b" in badass :) )

So it seems clear that the associations he's made between phrases and a situation are arbitrary, but still it seems clear that the associations are there. (all without aid of a cortex!)

== puzzles

Bokeh can solve a lot of puzzles. You're probably aware of the puzzle with the colored rings and the four columns on which to stack them? Most of the time, he only matches the colors about half the time. But every so often he'll move ten rings in a row and match the colors. 4 to the 10th is a BIG number, it's statistically unlikely that he could do 10 in a row by chance, and he does it every couple of months. So I think that he knows how to match colors, and the rest of of the time he's creating artwork with the color patterns he creates :)

== the challenging news

he's horny. If anyone has any tips about how to handle this, let me know ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
Sounds about right on the phrases. If you break away and not look for human but instead listen for parrotletese you will find even more language. Jules did not speak English but I figured out about 50 or so of her terms but I had here 8 years and we had conservations. Rio is young and we are still working on his but since Jules and he was together for 6 month he picked up some of her terms. Individuals seem to get their own term so I knew when she wanted me, my wife, my mother and a couple other of her flock. Come here, where are you, I am alone, need food, need water, put me to bed, let me out, go to other room are also terms. Rio is considerably more expressive than Jules was so we are having frustrations on both parts as he tries to tell me what he is after and I try to figure it out.

Reactions: icehorse

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bokeh will be 8 in a few months. All he eats is Harrison's extra fine and millet for training. He has a HUGE!!!! daytime castle (it's 5 ft long, he can do laps), and he gets out to fly for at least 30 minutes every day.

I'm not a cognitive scientist, but I've been studying cog. sci. for years and have been able to synthesize and apply cog. sci. into professional training successfully, for a couple of decades now. So I have some cog. sci. observations and questions to relay:

== talking

Bokeh has a vocabulary of about 20 phrases. What we've noticed is that he has attached meaning to many of these phrases.

• He sings the X-files theme when he's calling to you from a separate room.
  • When we go to the front door, he's likely to shout out our dog or cat's name.
  • when he's angry he shouts, "what-er you doin?"
  • when he wants you to talk to him he says, "perception action, it's not rocket science"
  • when breakfast is late, he'll angrily pace around his castle saying, "Bokeh's a bad-ass!"
(he has to lift his wings for the "b" in badass :) )

So it seems clear that the associations he's made between phrases and a situation are arbitrary, but still it seems clear that the associations are there. (all without aid of a cortex!)

== puzzles

Bokeh can solve a lot of puzzles. You're probably aware of the puzzle with the colored rings and the four columns on which to stack them? Most of the time, he only matches the colors about half the time. But every so often he'll move ten rings in a row and match the colors. 4 to the 10th is a BIG number, it's statistically unlikely that he could do 10 in a row by chance, and he does it every couple of months. So I think that he knows how to match colors, and the rest of of the time he's creating artwork with the color patterns he creates :)

== the challenging news

he's horny. If anyone has any tips about how to handle this, let me know ;)
Mine speaks in context as well. Hungry, thirsty, tickle tickle, oh-oh (drop something) pick it up (when he fetches), sings doo-do-do-do "Baby Shark" song during bath time, Georgie (his name) "Keees" (and smootch sound) for kisses, roosting and bedtime.

Each day, I say what's the weather? And he copies me saying Blue Sky, Cloudy, or Burr...snow

Comes when called, understand "Stay", knows if I say "I'll Be Back" it's useless to contact call because I'll be gone.
Has several favorite songs that he will sing with/mimic

Can pick out colors from various pegs, if asked. two - three colors so far

I hope that info helps with your research

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Hi~~~ My first parrotlet had a vocabulary of 65 words, phrases, sentences and p'lett repetitive sounds. He sang songs, all this was in English. He imatated many sounds, like the microwave keyboard, a creak in my wooden floors, the beeps in the security alarms, and our doorbell. He also interpreted some human body sounds and made a replacement sound for those body sounds. Like my wife's sneeze...he would say, " Richet ! " after every sneeze. My clearing of my throat was interpreted as, " RRRrrrrr ! ". Every time!

His knowledge of colors was amazing ! He was dead on with yellows, greens, blues, reds, white and brown. He had a collection of over 600 plastic bottle caps of different sizes and colors. One day, when I came home from shopping, Bogie had stacked the 40 some bottle caps in the middle of his cage. He started to play with his bells when I got home. He went nuts with the bells until I went over to him and told him to " use your inner voice ". It means to get quiet. Well, he got mad at me for telling him that, so he decided to take it out on his bottle caps ( he called his caps, " My babies " ) .

So, Bogie went to town with those babies! He stacked the four different colored caps into groups of the same colors. So, in each of the corners in his cage, he assigned a color. Green in one corner...yellow in another, etc. All the caps were stacked in a perfect stack! When he was through, he sat in the middle of the cage and stared at the caps. I looked at what he had done and I tried to figure out why he did this. Then, it dawned on me! He was punishing his babies because I got onto him for being noisy. He finally got up and walked around to each corner and messed it all up.

Almost every time I got onto him about noise, or whatever, he did something weird or unusual. This behavior didn't surface until he was 3 years old.

I never talked to Bogie like a bird. I talked to him like a toddler. He amazed me until he died at age 10.

What I suggest to you is that you keep a life journal on Bokeh every day. Write down all that you observed and offer a conclusion each entry. I had 10 years of journal. I never missed a day!

David

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi~~~ My first parrotlet had a vocabulary of 65 words, phrases, sentences and p'lett repetitive sounds. He sang songs, all this was in English. He imatated many sounds, like the microwave keyboard, a creak in my wooden floors, the beeps in the security alarms, and our doorbell. He also interpreted some human body sounds and made a replacement sound for those body sounds. Like my wife's sneeze...he would say, " Richet ! " after every sneeze. My clearing of my throat was interpreted as, " RRRrrrrr ! ". Every time!

His knowledge of colors was amazing ! He was dead on with yellows, greens, blues, reds, white and brown. He had a collection of over 600 plastic bottle caps of different sizes and colors. One day, when I came home from shopping, Bogie had stacked the 40 some bottle caps in the middle of his cage. He started to play with his bells when I got home. He went nuts with the bells until I went over to him and told him to " use your inner voice ". It means to get quiet. Well, he got mad at me for telling him that, so he decided to take it out on his bottle caps ( he called his caps, " My babies " ) .

So, Bogie went to town with those babies! He stacked the four different colored caps into groups of the same colors. So, in each of the corners in his cage, he assigned a color. Green in one corner...yellow in another, etc. All the caps were stacked in a perfect stack! When he was through, he sat in the middle of the cage and stared at the caps. I looked at what he had done and I tried to figure out why he did this. Then, it dawned on me! He was punishing his babies because I got onto him for being noisy. He finally got up and walked around to each corner and messed it all up.

Almost every time I got onto him about noise, or whatever, he did something weird or unusual. This behavior didn't surface until he was 3 years old.

I never talked to Bogie like a bird. I talked to him like a toddler. He amazed me until he died at age 10.

What I suggest to you is that you keep a life journal on Bokeh every day. Write down all that you observed and offer a conclusion each entry. I had 10 years of journal. I never missed a day!

David
David this is amazing! This might sound invasive, but have you thought of publishing (at least in part) the journal? I think people would find your insight, observations amazing and you bond heartwarming!
I talk to Georgie like a toddler too. He’s so young, but we are beginning to understand each other. How old was Bogie when he started talking? Georgie is definitely saying words (trying). And I hear sounds too. I can’t place everything. But it’s always in context. I’m trying really hard to understand him. I guess my question about when did he learn should really be phrased did he continue to learn words for a long time? People are asking me if this is all Georgie will know. He’s only nine months old so my answer is no. And I’m just logically thinking about that. We are always learning so I figure they are too. Do you think that assumption sounds correct?
Thank you so much for sharing!

One more thought. As far as their emotional intelligence, Georgie definitely acts different depending on my mood. If I’m happy, upset about some thing (in which case he gets really nippy… I read that’s because they’re a prey animal and they take anger as fear.). But the most amazing thing happened this evening. I was really sad and upset about some thing. To be perfectly honest, I was in tears. The next thing I knew, he flew over to my shoulder and landed on me. And he sat there very quietly the whole time. It was almost like he was giving me a hug. He wasn’t scared, he didn’t leave my side, he didn’t continue to do his own thing, he was there for me.

I would sure love to hear more stories about your Bogie. Thank you David!

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Hi~~~

I have written a book about Bogie ( his name is Humphrey Bogart Miller ) and it was 224 pages long, but I reduced it to 195 pages in a final draft. I have 2 publishers wanting to publish. ( I taught English Composition I and II, Creative Writing, Humanities and American Government at the University here in Orlando). My English classes were taught to the International Students Division. This is why I say to people to keep a life journal on their pets. It is a diary of their life!

I have 2 other books written, but due to the subject matter, I will publish them when I have passed. But, the book on Bogie is about the actual life of an amazing bird. He was my first parrotlet and he threw me for a loop! I had raised mostly budgies for over 50 years, but I wish I had discovered the p'letts a long time ago! They are different. They treat humans on their level.

To answer your questions, Bogie started talking when he was 12 weeks old. I got him when he was 10 weeks old. He was a little piece of green dynamite! Right from the beginning, he took control! When he was 5 years old, I joined this forum ( 2013). I kept a daily journal on him and after 5 years, I had to let the world know about him and the crazy things he did! Pretty much what Bogie did is in this forum. You can go back and see my stories in this forum, I think. Click on my Avatar and go from there.

You asked about how long did Bogie learn new words....He started about 12 weeks and learned new words until a few months before he flew over the Rainbow Bridge. As he got to about age 8 years, he learned whatever I wanted him to learn and it was easy. This was when he slowed down with the learning a little bit, too. ( he thought he knew it all! haha).

Your Georgie will know when to slow down learning. The key is to keep your birdie interested in things...anything!

Emotionally, Bogie was human! When I was very ill, he stayed right next to me. One day, I cut my left hand on a table saw. It cut into all my fingers and almost cut off half my index finger. I ran into my kitchen and put my hand under the running faucet to clean off the sawdust in the wounds. Bogie's cage was 3 feet from the sink. He saw me in distress and he saw the red blood gushing from my hand. I looked over at him and he was on his perch with his head lowered down and he swayed back and forth while making a guttural sound. I hid my wounds from him after that. I went to the hospital and got sewed up and bandaged. For three weeks, Bogies stayed on my neck every time he was out of his cage. Nothing else mattered! After that bad day, he changed! He become fully bonded with me in ways I could never imagine! He and I became...one. I bonded to him. Even his vet noticed a change in his behavior. I think Bogie realized that we humans were not the tough ' owners ' he thought we were. He had absolutely no fear with new people he met after my injury. He was wary of my friends until I got hurt! After that, he flew immediately to any person coming into my home.

My wife tried to fake cry in front of Bogie. She put her hands on her face and cried. He flew to her and tried to get her hands off her face. He got upset until she looked at him. These birds know! They realize more than you think!

I better stop writing now. I get carried away. I hope I answered your questions.

Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi~~~

I have written a book about Bogie ( his name is Humphrey Bogart Miller ) and it was 224 pages long, but I reduced it to 195 pages in a final draft. I have 2 publishers wanting to publish. ( I taught English Composition I and II, Creative Writing, Humanities and American Government at the University here in Orlando). My English classes were taught to the International Students Division. This is why I say to people to keep a life journal on their pets. It is a diary of their life!

I have 2 other books written, but due to the subject matter, I will publish them when I have passed. But, the book on Bogie is about the actual life of an amazing bird. He was my first parrotlet and he threw me for a loop! I had raised mostly budgies for over 50 years, but I wish I had discovered the p'letts a long time ago! They are different. They treat humans on their level.

To answer your questions, Bogie started talking when he was 12 weeks old. I got him when he was 10 weeks old. He was a little piece of green dynamite! Right from the beginning, he took control! When he was 5 years old, I joined this forum ( 2013). I kept a daily journal on him and after 5 years, I had to let the world know about him and the crazy things he did! Pretty much what Bogie did is in this forum. You can go back and see my stories in this forum, I think. Click on my Avatar and go from there.

You asked about how long did Bogie learn new words....He started about 12 weeks and learned new words until a few months before he flew over the Rainbow Bridge. As he got to about age 8 years, he learned whatever I wanted him to learn and it was easy. This was when he slowed down with the learning a little bit, too. ( he thought he knew it all! haha).

Your Georgie will know when to slow down learning. The key is to keep your birdie interested in things...anything!

Emotionally, Bogie was human! When I was very ill, he stayed right next to me. One day, I cut my left hand on a table saw. It cut into all my fingers and almost cut off half my index finger. I ran into my kitchen and put my hand under the running faucet to clean off the sawdust in the wounds. Bogie's cage was 3 feet from the sink. He saw me in distress and he saw the red blood gushing from my hand. I looked over at him and he was on his perch with his head lowered down and he swayed back and forth while making a guttural sound. I hid my wounds from him after that. I went to the hospital and got sewed up and bandaged. For three weeks, Bogies stayed on my neck every time he was out of his cage. Nothing else mattered! After that bad day, he changed! He become fully bonded with me in ways I could never imagine! He and I became...one. I bonded to him. Even his vet noticed a change in his behavior. I think Bogie realized that we humans were not the tough ' owners ' he thought we were. He had absolutely no fear with new people he met after my injury. He was wary of my friends until I got hurt! After that, he flew immediately to any person coming into my home.

My wife tried to fake cry in front of Bogie. She put her hands on her face and cried. He flew to her and tried to get her hands off her face. He got upset until she looked at him. These birds know! They realize more than you think!

I better stop writing now. I get carried away. I hope I answered your questions.

Dave
Dave,

I just love reading your posts. It now makes sense with your literature background!

Love Bogie’s full name! That is wonderful! Ours is (Georgie) Georgi E. Bird. Ha.

I am definitely going to start a journal. I wish I’d started it six months ago when I got him. Actually, come to think of it…through texting, I sort of did! Sent my family a brief message and photo each day. I will check those archives!!!!! Yay!!!!

People who don’t know him, don’t understand. Those that do treat him like a little person (like you mentioned).

Funny enough…the person he relates to fully is my nephew who is 6years old. He is a gentle, creative, animal lover. He’s only seen him twice. The last time, he sat by his flight cage (I wanted to keep G safe and comfortable and little sister was here too - both great kids, but they bleed and Georgie is small. You know the drill!) Anyway, my nephew engaged him for three straight hours. The two of them playing through the cage bars. My nephew thought of all kinds of fun games for the two of them. Whenever he left the room, I noticed G had named my nephew…he would call for him. It was one syllable (Parrotlet-ese) and sounded like his name. I just realized, when writing this, Georgie must have overheard all of us and was attempting to copy. He has not made that sound since they left that day.

I can’t wait for your book! I design websites and branding. I’m currently working on designing a book for a good friend/client of mine about horses. She’d like to get it published in the new year. She is a professor at Concordia and started Horse Powered Reading. Yes…horses are therapeutic, but birds too! Along with my dog (who passed last year) G is the best decision I ever made! In fact, I could swear he’s my dog. Similarities are uncanny. Ha.

I didn’t realize I could search your avatar. Thank you for that! I do believe he was a little human. He found someone who believed in him and trusted you enough to explore and learn new things. G is also out of cage and with me. This is his house now…make no mistake about it. Hahaha.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Erin

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of these amazing replies!

A few more Bokeh-isms come to mind reading these:

• when it's his play time with me, he will not tolerate me becoming distracted. He might be doing something 25 feet away from me, but if I stop focusing on him, he'll fly over and be cranky with me - maybe even nip me for my indiscretion :)
  • in addition to his phrases, he does have favorite sounds he mimics. He LOVES the sound of velcro. Certain music and certain TV shows are clear favorites of his.
  • i'm working on teaching him object-name combinations - getting him to touch an object when I say its name. Has anyone had success with this?
  • i'm working on teaching him to fly to different locations, by name.
  • he's shy around new people, but after a while he'll get in the mood to show off and talk.
  • after dark is "quiet time". if he talks, he only whispers after dark..

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
Try types of music. Each bird I have had has a music preference and dislikes. Rio is into soft jazz.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for all of these amazing replies!

A few more Bokeh-isms come to mind reading these:

• when it's his play time with me, he will not tolerate me becoming distracted. He might be doing something 25 feet away from me, but if I stop focusing on him, he'll fly over and be cranky with me - maybe even nip me for my indiscretion :)
  • in addition to his phrases, he does have favorite sounds he mimics. He LOVES the sound of velcro. Certain music and certain TV shows are clear favorites of his.
  • i'm working on teaching him object-name combinations - getting him to touch an object when I say its name. Has anyone had success with this?
  • i'm working on teaching him to fly to different locations, by name.
  • he's shy around new people, but after a while he'll get in the mood to show off and talk.
  • after dark is "quiet time". if he talks, he only whispers after dark..
Yes! Some of these are similar.
  • If he wants to play…you must drop everything or suffer the consequences. Hahaha
  • Object combinations…getting there. Hungry is food, thirsty is water, kiss (lips) gives a kiss. So in a way…food/water/lips. He knows “pick it up”, so now we are moving on to …the blue bead, the purple button, etc. So far he’s best with green and blue.
  • Velcro-interesting. There are a few I haven’t figured out. He’s at about 15 words/phrases in context.
  • I am also working on locations. TBD. Haha
  • If I say “find papa” (while sitting on me) he will fly to him. If he says “find mama” (while sitting on him, he will fly to me.
  • G talks more (and fly’s more) with just me. But will warm up to people very quickly.
  • Cute that he whispered!
This is fun! What a great conversation starter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a well known test they give to young kids, maybe 4 or 5 years old? They put them alone in a room with a chair a table and some sort of treat, let's say a marshmallow. They're told that if they can wait for 5 minutes and not eat the treat, they'll get two treats. Studies have shown that the kids who can figure out ways to "delay gratification" are more successful later in life.

With that said, when it's time for Bokeh to get fed, he's learned that if he goes to the far side of his castle, I'll put his food in faster... hmmm..

·
Registered
5 Posts

Didn't Canadian researches find that parrots actually do have neural architecture that is similar to the primate cerebral cortex?
-Cyndi

·
Registered
5 Posts

Didn't Canadian researches find that parrots actually do have neural architecture that is similar to the primate cerebral cortex?
-Cyndi
Sorry - new to the site. The first 3 lines of my post are a quote from Icehorse. My bad.

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
Best bird book I read last year. I suggest reading it. There is even more to our little ones than we think and we are their fans.

The Bird Way: A New Look at How Birds Talk, Work, Play, Parent, and Think

Reactions: icehorse
1 - 15 of 15 Posts