Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some info about cigarette smoke being dangerous to these delicate birds. However, everything I have searched has been very conflicting. Either it is not mentioned as harmful at all, or it is loudly protested against.

I'm considering getting a parrotlet to help me through my depression, but my mother tends to smoke up to 16 cigarettes a day in the house. however, she only smokes in one room, and never in the room that the parrot would be primarily kept in (being my bedroom).

How worried should I be?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I say any one who says cigarette smoke is not dangerous must be a smoker themselves...lol Really tho there are so many studies that have been done on the effects of second hand cigarette smoke on humans one must conclude that it would be even worse for a small and delicate ( compared to humans)creature such as a parrot. I would be more concerned if the bird would be in the part of the house she is smoking in. Can you smell the smoke in your room? I think a air cleaner would help but it will be hard to keep the bird in one room all the time. I have my bird out on my shoulder and around the house a lot thru the day. I think maybe the bird should wait untill you have your own place ...or maybe you can help your mom to quit and then you both win!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It certainly is dangerous stuff, I don't deny.

The smell of the smoke and such tends to stick to my hair/clothes, but when she smokes, I cannot smell it in my room. I have considered an air purifier.

As it turns out, she's been working toward quitting. :). She has made alot of progress. I am very proud of her. <3

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'd get an air purifier and do it. I hope a P'let helps out with your depression. I really credit my pets as much as my doctors when it comes to dealing with my own depression.

There is no medicine as good as caring for something else, IMO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
when I lived with my parents, my father seriously smoked 4-5 packs A DAY and an air purifier did WONDERS for my room, if the door was closed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd get a purifier for sure - I'm lucky that my roomie smokes outside since I already have weakened lungs (severe premi at birth) so Midori is safe from any problems that way (as is my clothes!).

As for the depression - that is one reason why I got Midori! When I lived in the dorm at college I went into a pretty severe depression as I didn't have any friends there & lived 4hrs from home & my friends I left behind & had no car. This time around I'm living in my own place and have Midori to wake up to every morning, it makes you smile & giggle at their antics and helps brighten your day that is for sure!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awwh. Those are some great things to hear. Especially about the healing of depression. I've just been dropped from a 2.5 year relationship because she 'just wasn't happy', so I'm really feeling that I need something to interact with, love, and care for. Make me feel loveable again. Having a parrotlet that will keep me making toys, and playing, instead of sitting on my computer for the day, all day, waiting for something to happen to me..

Well, you get the idea. :)

I'll definitely look into getting some kind of air purifier, even if it's just a wee teeny one.

Does anyone know of some good scholarly text having to do with depression and pets?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been dealing with a simular problem myself - and did the same at the end of both my long term relationships! (I've just sworn off men now & prefer to dote on Midori and my parents dogs instead!)

I'm not aware of any literature really but in college (Animal Care course) we actually had a lecture on how pets change your body system, feelings, etc. It is proven they make people happier!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think people underestimate the healing effects of caring for something that is literally as small and frightened as I know I have felt. There have been many days when the only thing that got me out of bed was my dog staring at me and needing a walk. He really helped and I'll always be grateful to him for that...

I think that's why I tend to rescue pets as opposed to buying from breeders. Maybe, in a way, it makes me feel that someone will love me despite whatever flaws I may have. Sounds crazy, huh? I think it makes me feel necessary and vital to know I can adopt an animal that has been abused or neglected and turn it around into a healthy loving pet...

I totally relate to:
Having a parrotlet that will keep me making toys, and playing, instead of sitting on my computer for the day, all day, waiting for something to happen to me..
I far prefer discussions about different seed brands, foods, pictures or training techniques to the drama and self-promoting junk that litters my facebook page and my friends' facebook pages. Discussing my birds and making things for my birds and caring for my birds is far more rewarding then taking some quiz to determine which Harry Potter character I'd be.... No disrespect to facebook but I'd rather discuss something that is going to enrich my life, not make me even more self conscious about it....

I don't have my P'let yet but she'll be coming next week. She's another rescue from someone who wanted a novelty pet. I think she will occupy my time and the effort I put in will be repaid ten fold with the unconditional love an animal gives.

I look forward to hearing of your bird, when you get one, Praecox. Hang in there. :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Cigarette smoke is awful for humans, worse for children and dreadful for birds. The respiratory tract is damaged by chemicals and cig. smoke is choked FULL of lethal chemicals.

I cannot be near that smoke and Chipper will never be either.

Do you have central AC? That or heating would just spread the chemicals around faster. It is indeed dangerous.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dangerous ! Don't get the parrotelt. cigarette smoke is dangerous and very harmful to their bodies and health. Health problmes will increase. With the exterme about of smoke that you would have , there is a high likely hood the smoke could be deadly.

I'm not against smoking. I feel as if it should be the individuals right and choice. So I'm not an anti smoking person. However, I am just telling you what I have seen and my vet has told me regarding this.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Having grown up in a house with parents who smoked heavily indoors, I can sympathize with you.

You want a pet and I can empathize with that. I would think carefully on it though... say you get your bird, fall completely in love with it and then it gets sick because of the smoke. You will be devastated and probably very angry with your mother.

That being said, I had a budgie from the time I was 8 years old until it died when I was a sophomore in college. It lived, in my parents kitchen, with all that smoke for about 13 years. That's doing pretty good for a budgie.

So, if you decide to get the bird, I'd invest in a good quality air filter (make sure it doesn't contain Teflon or other materials that are bad for birds) and probably discuss with a vet what they think before you get the bird. Then only keep the bird in your room with the door closed at all times.

Good luck with your depression. It's difficult to deal with. I hope you have spoken with your Dr. about it too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A parrotlet would certainly help you with your depression. Birds (and animals in general) never judge you. They will never reject you because of your personnality or because of who you are. If you take care of them well, they become very loyal and lovely pets. The thing is...they're very fragile. A bird would be good for your health and self esteem, but if you decide to get one, make sure you will not compromise its health because if it dies (because of smoke and/or other things) this will bring you in an even WORSE state! Maybe you can discuss with your mom and ask her to smoke outdoors? If she knows that it's for a bird that might help you get out of depression, she might be open minded to that idea. Of course, if it's not possible, an excellent air filter is mandatory.

Whatever's your decision, the best advice I can give you is to think well about it. I've been thinking about buying a parrotlet for months before getting one. I wasn't sure I was ready to commit to a pet, and give it a minimum of time every day... for over 10 years! Don't forget that it will depend on you ;) I took months to think about it because I didn't want to get an animal, get bored of it after a few months and neglect it for the rest of its life after that (my mom did that with some of her birds and it made me very sad). I don't regret my choice, Caly is now part of the family and we have a very strong bond. A bird can bring you joy, what can you bring to a pet? Make sure you have a satisfying answer before getting a new buddy :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Cigarette Smoke

I had some surgery (not serious) and it was not healing quickly in a couple of spots. The surgeon asked me if I was around cigarette smoke. I told him no, as my son always smokes outside. He said second hand cigarette smoke is very bad. It slows down circulation, which impairs healing. If it will do that to me, think what it can do to a little bird. I know how difficult mothers can be about it, as mine smoked for most of her life. I hated it as a child and therefore never wanted to smoke. I think a separate, closed room with an air purifier would probably be OK, especially if you can close the ac/heat vent in that room.

My son's parakeet lived for a number of years in his apartment with him and he smoked in there alot. Do the best you can and don't worry. Also, I had a parakeet when I was a child and both my parents smoked. He was fine. I think it would have been better if none of us had been subjected to it though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts