Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a parrotlet forum but noticed some posters have conures as well and I'm curious about them. What are the main differences between them as far as temprement and care? I'm researching parrotlets as I found them cute but really would like a tame bird breed that would bond with me, my 12yr old and roommate also I work full time (roommate works a different shift than me). Any thoughts?:)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I have a 3 yr. old Parrotlet and an almost 1 year old Pineapple Green Cheek Conure.

My Parrotlet is more independent and feisty.
My Conure is way more cuddly and affectionate
These two traits can be different from bird to bird, just like people.

My P'let is a female, and is very quiet, just "peeps", never screams. P'let males have many more tones, whistles, etc., and can talk. Females rarely do.
My Conure is more loud than my P'let, but not really loud as compared to the larger Conures, like a Sun Conure -- their scream would pierce your ear drums. I don't know whether she is a male or a female, but she does talk. She makes all kinds of different sounds, but rarely "screams". She has many periods of total silence.

Both birds can be taught tricks. I use clicker training on both (search for "clicker training" either on this forum or a general search on line for instructions.)

Both can be moody, but generally, my P'let is more nippy than my Conure. My P'let, being so small, is hypervigilant, I think -- bite first and ask questions later. I've learned to avoid the nips for the most part, and just leave her be when she doesn't want to be handled. My Conure loves being with me and loves being handled. If something irks her, she'll give me a quick beaking, but she stops immediately and is sweet again. Her bites have never drawn blood, but my P'let sure has!

Both birds are happy playing independently in their cages. Both birds love toys, but my Conure is a playing animal! She loves toys and plays most of the day. My P'let is more quiet and plays now and then during the day.

Their care is pretty much the same. They both need large cages. Both of mine have HQ flight cages, which work out very well. They both need a variety of food -- good quality pellets, fruit, and veggies, plus mine get birdy bread and a cooked food, like Beak Appetit. The Conure, of course, eats a lot more than the P'let.

Both get 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep time every night. Makes for a happier birdy.

I feel that the Conure is more sturdy and the P'let is more delicate, just because of her tiny size. But never forget, that tiny size holds a big bird attitude!

They cannot play together. The P'let will attack any other bird that comes near her. I'm just happy she finally accepted me! She was adopted 2 years ago from a friend, and it took her almost a year to decide I wasn't going to kill her!

I need to say again, that every bird and every bird's temperment is different -- some sweet all the time, some not. But between my two, the Conure is more affectionate towards me than the P'let. Conures aren't "needy", but they do need to be with you more.

I'm not sure I'd recommend a Parrotlet to someone as a first time bird. They are very complicated little creatures! Some members have very affectionate, tame P'lets, so you just never know how it's going to work out.

I would also say that both birds become bonded to their "person". My husband isn't "into" birds, so I am the one who handles them. Neither bird, especially the Conure, is comfortable with anyone else. If they live in a household where they are handled by several different people, this might work out differently.

You might register with our sister forum, TalkParrots, and ask the same question there to see what opinions you get.

Well, that's all I can think of off the top of my old head! Hope this has helped a little! If I think of any other items, I'll post again.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
LMAO Jo, I love it when you answer these kinds of posts. I have nothing to add other than that Conures are also quite nippy. I would rather take a thousand P'let bites than one good Conure chomp, but each person has a preference and every bird is different. If at all possible, I recommend you try to meet and handle individuals from both species so you can get a better feel for what you like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your advice!

Thanks so much, some good points to consider. I am going to see a breeder this weekend and they carry both birds so we will see- I want to make as much of an educated choice as I can!:)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Good luck! Spend some hands on time with each bird and see how it goes.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Jodeg, you always give such great information! Even to a bystander, it's helpful. I only have a parrotlet - I got her as a first bird, and although there were some challenges, she is the most affectionate, sweet little girl. We have had our hurdles though, and although she has stopped outright biting, I don't think she'll ever give up nipping. She is such a little pistol!

I don't think I'll be getting another bird anytime soon; I don't think I would have the time to lavish two birds with attention the way I can for one. If I did, though, it would be a green cheek conure (especially a cinnamon - they're so gorgeous). They're so sweet, and I've heard nothing but great things about them. The thing that I've realized with my parrotlet, though, is that the size of the bird really matters. A lot of the stuff Saturday does that isn't so bad, like nipping, loud chirps and pooping on people, are tolerable precisely because she (and therefore her bites, chirps and poops) is so small. I sometimes think that if she were bigger she would be a more difficult bird to keep.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Best of luck to you! I know you will find your bird, and no matter what kind, the two of you will have a wonderful life together. Saturday has changed my life in so many wonderful ways. I wake up every morning excited that I get to play and spend time with her. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Thanks, enborgle and claudzilla! Aren't birds fun?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My experience with conures and parrotlets is very similar to jodeg's

My parrotlet is fairly independent, but when he wants attention he demands it and you better give it to him, or else he might bite you into submission! lol!

My conure needs attention more often, but I wouldn't say shes extremely needy.

Neither of my guys are biters, thought both species get a bad rap for being nippy

When it comes to noise, they're about the same. But my parrotlet is more constant whereas my conure is sporatic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts