Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl Mina is less than a year old and has always been healthy since I got her from a local breeder. A few hours ago I noticed when she is quiet or resting, she closes or squints her right eye only. This behavior just started. She will open it widely when she is curious of something, moving around, or eating...but when content and just sitting around (not necessarily napping), she will close it.

It makes me think something is bothering her eye, but I cannot see any discharge or swelling. My instinct is to take her to a vet tomorrow out of caution. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? None of my other birds have had any eye issues, so this is new to me.

Also I should note she doesn't seem to be behaving any differently. She still eats a lot and acts sassy as she always does.

Super Moderator
Sounds normal. You just ran across a strange thing about birds. They use their brains differently than we do. They can shut down and let part of their brain sleep (eye closed) while the other part stay awake. Usually they keep the part they are wary of awake and let the part they feel safe with sleep. I think this process is called "peeking". I first noticed this when Jules started to truly trusted me. She then started closing the eye toward me when she slept because she viewed me as flock and safe while keeping the eye away open. Before that the eye toward me was open because I was not trusted. So I believe what you are saying is that your little one is accepting and trusting you more.

If she is acting the same as usual other than this then I would not worry. If there are other issue then you may want to see your vet.

Registered
Sounds normal. You just ran across a strange thing about birds. They use their brains differently than we do. They can shut down and let part of their brain sleep (eye closed) while the other part stay awake. Usually they keep the part they are wary of awake and let the part they feel safe with sleep. I think this process is called "peeking". I first noticed this when Jules started to truly trusted me. She then started closing the eye toward me when she slept because she viewed me as flock and safe while keeping the eye away open. Before that the eye toward me was open because I was not trusted. So I believe what you are saying is that your little one is accepting and trusting you more.

If she is acting the same as usual other than this then I would not worry. If there are other issue then you may want to see your vet.
Oh interesting! Monty will only do this when he is clearly having a snooze or nap but not otherwise. Birds are so quirky.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I have an update: I was able to take Mina to the vet out of caution, and the vet diagnosed her with conjunctivitis. I now have some antibiotics and drops for her. I hope this works, and I also wonder how she got this.

Registered
So I have an update: I was able to take Mina to the vet out of caution, and the vet diagnosed her with conjunctivitis. I now have some antibiotics and drops for her. I hope this works, and I also wonder how she got this.
Basically pink eye then? Could have been anything really. I'd give the cage and play areas a good clean just in case!

Registered
I am glad your gut told you to get Mina checked out. Conjunctivitis can get nasty. I hope she is feeling better soon!

Super Moderator
Wow good job noticing it was bothering her. How did they diagnose us there a test they did? I would have thought this normal behavior also.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow good job noticing it was bothering her. How did they diagnose us there a test they did? I would have thought this normal behavior also.
The vet was able to tell by looking at the eye and noticing it looked irritated. The way she continuously was squinting and blinking that eye but not the other. She will get a follow up appt next friday, but I am already seeing some improvement with the eye.

Registered
That is such good news that your are seeing improvement already. :) Mina's eye may be feeling somewhat sensitive to light (light sensitivity is a symptom of Conjunctivitis) so you may want to keep her away from any bright light. Maybe by partially covering her cage and keeping your home/room a little darker than normal may possibly give her some relief until the irritation clears up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts