Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says, my parrotlet (named rick) is agressive towards my other two budgies.
rick is handfed, the other budgies are not.
i've enlisted to the army 9 monthes ago and since i am very afraid of him being lonely because don't come back home often.

i dont know what to do. i guess if he is agressive to the budgies he doesnt really want their company but i also dont want him to be all alone.

what do i do?

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Most Parrotlets are agressive. Do you have a realitive that he stay with, while you are away. Good luck with your Army stent, proud of you!

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
As Evelyn said, many parrotlets do not like other bird company (perhaps because it reminds they that they aren't actually the largest bird in the world). Most prefer human company, so asking around for friends or relatives, or (if he enjoys it and it doesn't freak him out) radio can be decent company. Even a fish can be fun to the right parrotlet! And, whether he loves hanging out with them or not, the budgies provide company during the day. With proper foraging toys can a big cage, parrotlets can be self-entertaining during the day and only require a bit of human time each day. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your responses!
although my mom doe take care of my birds, she cannot pay attention to them and there are no relatives who could take care of them.

when i am not home i let the birds out of the cage so they could play around in my room. when i come back i find rick underneath things ( my bed, shelves, bags) other than it being very risky as someone could crush him, is this also a risky behaviour? does it indicate of anxiety/ boredom?

will getting him a parrotlet friend be a better salution for finding him company?

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
He is unlikely to like a second parrotlet any more than he likes the budgies. They could never be left alone together, as parrotlet aggression can turn deadly very quickly.
Yes, it is VERY risky to let a bird roam free in a non-bird room when you aren't there. He can get caught in things, crushed, or electrocuted biting cords. It isn't indicate of boredom, it is just what an unsupervised parrot will do. I VERY strongly recommend that you NEVER leave a bird loose unsupervised. Instead, look into a larger cage and more toys in it. So many things are dangerous for birds in a normal room: is there lead paint underneath the paint on the window sill?; electronics that can accidentally turn on?; windows or mirrors to fly into?; fabrics to get caught in?; small spaces to get trapped in?. Please just get a bigger cage and fill it with bird-safe toys. Many of our parrotlets love nutriberries, which are a food ball that can be hidden inside toys and in weird places and keep them busy for hours finding them. Also foraging baskets are popular, small baskets (think Target dollar section or the like) zip-tied to the cage full of paper and small toys with a couple treats at the bottom. My guy LOVES toys with bells, and can spend hours beating up his bell. We tend to feel guilty, but parrotlets really can entertain themselves in a good-sized cage.
You say your mom takes care of them, but I assume you mean she doesn't take him out of the cage. That is actually an okay setup. When I studied abroad, my cockatiel lived with my mom, and my mom has never been big on having a bird on her. The physical presence of a human was a decent amount of interaction, especially since I assume your mom talks to him when giving him food or water. He's not alone, and as a temporary set up it can work fine without issues. Obviously, the ideal life would have you there with him more often, but since life is rarely ideal these small birds roll with the punches much more than we give them credit for. The exception is if he starts feather plucking; that is a sign of distress and that he cannot handle the setup. Otherwise, a nice big fun cage, a nutritious diet, budgie neighbors and people when you can should be fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all very much for your help!
yesterday my parrotlet bit one of my budgies and it really dawned on me that keeping them together isn't a good thing.
so i've decided that when i recieve my next paycheck i will spent the most of it on toys for my parrotlet, and after i've seen he's enjoying them and that he can entertain himself i will try and find new housing for my budgies.

could you help me yet again with suggestion as to toys that fit parrotlets?
in the past whenever i'd bring in a new toy he's be very afraid and not want to play with it, so i've given up on toys. but nwo i understand how i need tot ake better care of my pet and i want to give it the most i can.

these aren't the best photos, and i currently don't ahve it's dimensions, but is this a good cage for my parrotlet? it si the one he is in now

http://36.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcttkrOiFZ1rirq55o1_1280.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/5be426a30407d5fb99deb88cc174a24f/tumblr_mpeuhfohkK1rirq55o1_1280.jpg

these are iold photos, and the other birds in it are long gone. now he is housed with only 2 budgies

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I have a single p'let that really doesn't like my other birds (well, except for the female p'let who teases him but always goes back to Noodle). He does fine as the single p'let, he gets plenty of toys to keep him busy and watching the other birds also keeps him entertained even though he doesn't directly interact with them.

His favorite toys are bells, anything with bells he loves. As for my other p'lets, they like things that they can chew like the birdie kabobs.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I don't see any parrotlet, I see 2 parakeets and a lovebird in one cage?

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Okay I saw the parrotlet in the second picture, why do you have a lovebird in with Parakeets, they are very aggresive birds.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
It is difficult to tell the dimensions of the cage from a picture, but it seems a bit too small for a single bird (and way too small for multiple birds). The size of cage a parrotlet requires partially depends on the amount of time he spends in it. If he is only in his cage to sleep and the rest of the day he is out and about with you, then that cage would work fine. However, if he is primarily stuck inside the cage for any reason, then he absolutely requires more space to be healthy. If he is primarily in the cage, you need to provide him with a flight cage, which is much bigger and provides horizontal space for him to be able to fly. Look into the biggest 1/2 inch bar spacing cage you can find and afford.
For toys, some birds need to see things outside their cage for a couple days so they can learn that is isn't scary before it gets put in. Tumi's now favorite perch panicked him at first, so I set it beside his cage for a week before I set it inside the cage. For toy preferences, parrotlets seem to fall into two categories - shredders and bangers. Shredders love any toy they can pull apart, and require toys made of safe natural materials that they will destroy. Bangers love bells, and love smashing the bells and bullying them around. Tumi is a banger. His favorite toy is this sort of rings hanging down toy with a bell on the bottom - we have one for each cage! He loves his plastic slinky tunnel through the roof of his cage (just stick a slinky on the roof of the cage and let it fall through), and he loves this giant coconut toy that is meant to be a foraging toy for macaws but Tumi climbs inside to eat his nutriberries. If you know what type of player your bird is, then you can buy toys from that category. If you don't know yet, then get a couple basics from the two categories and, after introducing them for a bit, put them into his new palace and let him play and vote with his beak. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you very much for the advice!
my bird is mostly out of his cage, so i guess he should be fine untill i can afford a bigger one.

i just found a site that ships bird toys internationally and i think i'll buy from there since the bird toys where i live are very sparce..... there aren't ones with shredding paper and shredding finger traps that i've seen on the internet.

do you buy your toys from a site or from a pet store?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Paco and Taco don't get along all the time, Quinn just sort of tolerates them . I think any one of them would be just as happy alone, if they were raised that way. they are all in separate cages when they are not supervised .

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
How long will you be gone? You do realize if he is not handled daily he will not be tame or friendly when you get back? You can keep the other birds but they need another cage by themselves. He will do fine with lots of toys and some foraging toys to keep him engaged. P'lets have an IQ of approximately a 2 year old and can get into some bad habits if not kept engaged. Have you thought of finding a new home for your p'let since you are probably going to be in a few years and it's not an ideal situation for him if no one is going to interact with him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am mostly home every day, just not at a known hour. It could be between 1800 to 2200 pm.
Sometimes I am away for the weekend but that is the most I'm gone.
I'm staying in the army for only one more year so I should be able to keep rick, I think. I will try and take care of him as best as i can

1 - 16 of 16 Posts