Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I have a parrotlet that has had her first clutch by accident. I have candled them and all are fertile. It has been 23 days since she laid the first egg and it has not hatched or even pipped. She is a good mom and is still sitting on them. I haven’t changed anything in her environment and I’m at a loss of what to do. The oldest one is solid black when candled, should I just take the eggs out? Please give any and all then advise you may have.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Welcome! It normally takes 19-21 days for the eggs to hatch. When did she start sitting on them?

If you do wind up removing the eggs if they do not hatch, you want to do so in the same way in which they were laid - one every other day until all are removed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looked like she started sitting on her eggs as soon as the first one was laid, but it could be a possibility that she didn’t start sitting on them until she laid her 3rd one which was on March 17th. I’ll try waiting until April 7th and check. Any other advice? Since this is my first time I don’t know what to expect or look for other than what I have read. Should I invest in a incubator?

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Normally a brooder is used after the babies hatch from the eggs, if you are not planning to leave them with the parents. If you are not experienced with hand feeding or have someone who can show you how to do it, it may be best to leave them with the parents and co-parent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jackie! The breeder I got my parrotlets from has actually offered to teach me how to hand feed.
As far as the eggs not hatching, do you recommend anything?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Jackie! The breeder I got my parrotlets from has actually offered to teach me how to hand feed.
As far as the eggs not hatching, do you recommend anything?
I have a female parrotlet who has a mate and a nest full of five eggs. I'm currently awaiting a brooder and have decided to wait around three more days to candle them. Do you have any tips for me on candling, hand feeding or dealing with hatchlings? I've kept parrotlets for about three years now and this is the first complete clutch my bird has laid. With my lack of experience I'm very concerned as to how I can properly raise and maintain hatchlings or help my bird babies in any way. Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts