Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my family had received my parrotlet, her wings were already clipped. I’m assuming they were clipped when she was a baby so she didn’t have the opportunity to learn how to fly. Just the other day, she kept flying off of my shoulder and into walls randomly. By the end of the day, the little chipped spot on her beak had bled a bit. I always worry for her since her crashes seem so intense. What should I do? I’m monitoring her closely and trying to keep her from flying.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Baby birds tend to be clumsy. Some birds that are clipped need experience to gain strength in their wing muscles. While some birds are just poor flyers, most do well with practice. Have you given her a tour of your home so that she knows where the walls and windows are?

For bleeding, I would keep flour, corn starch, or pure Aloe Vera on hand in case you need to stop it. It is not recommended to use styptic powder because it is toxic if ingested.

·
Registered
903 Posts
That is scary that your bird is flying into walls. I am so sorry to hear that your bird was injured.

Just a suggestion - Maybe the best thing to do would be to confine your bird to one room for a while until they learn some flying skills. One room may be less overwhelming to them than having access then the whole house. Make sure that you have places for them to land like a playstation/playstand or their cage. I have a bird boing hanging from my ceiling that is a favorite landing spot for my bird. Introduce those to them. Most of them turn into very good flyers and flying into things and accidents become rare. But of course, not all are good flyers as mentioned before.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
HI~~

Your p'lett is learning to fly. They all go through this phase. Anya has a very good suggestion about letting your little one learn to fly in a safe room....it won't take long before she will fly like a pro!

David;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reassurance! I’ll be sure to try giving my baby a tour of the house and keeping her in one room!

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
One thought, when we first got Jules and Bo we had a lot of wall crashes. It took a bit but I figured out that parrotlets don’t see well in our home environments. They evolved in arid desert scrub of the equator. Much brighter conditions. Our homes are like caves to them. I changed our lights our from the normal yellow lights to natural full daylight. Helped them see much better, stop running into things. Side effect is they work better for us humans too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently got a parrotlet and let him out of his cage in a brightly lite room. He kept flying into walls. I am nervous to let him out again in fear he will hurt himself. Any other suggestions on how to help him learn to fly?

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
how old is he? Young birds tend to bump into stuff a lot and we tend to work with them in smaller rooms and a place where we can dim the lights to calm them down.

BTW- contgrats on being owned by a parrotlet. It is a lot of fun. Tell us a bit about yourself and your bird. What you got? What color? How old? Where he/she come from? you have any other bird experience? We love pics.

·
Registered
110 Posts
When my family had received my parrotlet, her wings were already clipped. I’m assuming they were clipped when she was a baby so she didn’t have the opportunity to learn how to fly. Just the other day, she kept flying off of my shoulder and into walls randomly. By the end of the day, the little chipped spot on her beak had bled a bit. I always worry for her since her crashes seem so intense. What should I do? I’m monitoring her closely and trying to keep her from flying.
Mine did the same. I started working with him at short distances as his wings were growing in. He was hitting walls about 5 times per day then.
Parrotlets are strong and one of only birds that can fly when clipped…yet can’t control their flight. Birds must be taught how to fly up, down, circles. Mom bird teaches them. So it’s up to you. (No pressure. Haha) I recommend “Flock Talk” flight training on YouTube amazing and great bonding!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently got a parrotlet and let him out of his cage in a brightly lite room. He kept flying into walls. I am nervous to let him out again in fear he will hurt himself. Any other suggestions on how to help him learn to fly?
Maybe he was scared? Dim lights, smaller room to start maybe?
One thought, when we first got Jules and Bo we had a lot of wall crashes. It took a bit but I figured out that parrotlets don’t see well in our home environments. They evolved in arid desert scrub of the equator. Much brighter conditions. Our homes are like caves to them. I changed our lights our from the normal yellow lights to natural full daylight. Helped them see much better, stop running into things. Side effect is they work better for us humans too.
I sooooooo agree with this!!!!!!!!! We changed to “whiter” lighting. 5000k (instead of the usual 2700k). It is from Waveform.

Kelvins are the temperature scale warm light 2700ish 4000 is whitish, and 6500 is blue light (such as a computer screen)

Also, waveform says their lights is non-flashing. Most bulbs look like a strobe light to a bird. Adjusting light really helped his (and my) circadian rhythm too! Try this…set your phone on slo-mo video. Record your lamp. You can see what your bird sees. It’s fun!

Color temperature for reference:
Early sunrise 2700 kelvins (our usual indoor light color temp)
Morning 3000-4000 kelvins
Sun at noon 5000 kelvins
(Some people say 5500-6500 for birds…BUT that range increases stress, lowers immunity, and can cause feather plucking). 5,000 has been great.
Late afternoon - 3000-4000 kelvins
Sunset (70 min before complete dark = roosting time) 2700 k
We turn certain lights on accordingly, Behavior, mood, nutrition, flying skills, sleep schedule….has totally changed for the good. Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I have my bird clipped----he is safer that way. He is nine years old now. When he was young,, he flew behind my grandfather clock----couldn't locate him until he chirped.
Also, you know not to EVER take your bird outside without being in a cage. These are lessons I've learned from having parrotlets over the years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts