Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,264 Posts
Flight is a skill that they get better at with practice. Tumi has gotten very good, but it took plenty of years. When he was young, we did flying practice into a queen-sized bed so that he had a soft landing when he crashed. Pretty much I tossed him in the air and he landed on the bed. You do have to be very careful of things like mirrors and windows, because they can easily run into them. Tumi has hit a window before - one terrifying emergency vet visit later, he was okay. But really, your young bird is still learning.

· Registered
1,345 Posts
I agree it is a learned skill, my guy used to land so close to where he wanted to. When he does laps and lands where he wants to now he lets out a series of happy chirps.
Reminds me of Pugsley. When he is proud of his flying abilities, he lands, ruffles his feathers, then says, "BIRD, BIRD, BIRD!!!" - Recently, he sometimes says "Woo!" (No "Hoo" yet). When he was younger, he was a clumsy flier, too. Now, he's an ace. Great manuevers and very fast.

· Registered
1,345 Posts
Hello,
I was wondering if it is common for Parrolets to not be very good at flying. My 4 month old Parrotlet is an awful flyer. I’m afraid he’s going to hurt himself. Is this normal?
IlaRea
Most parrotlets are really good fliers. He is very young so he just needs time to improve. I had to "bird" proof some things to make it safer for Pugsley. He had a few crashes where he fell behind something. He gave me a few scares, so I understand how your feeling. Just try to make his surroundings safe when he is out of his cage, and it will lessen his chances of getting hurt. Just keep an eye on him.

· Registered
57 Posts
Some staging and recall practice from/to a safe platform may help. Harry (she was a clipped flight feather baby) had started with short flights from a T stand and couch (softer and larger) to my hand more than a year ago after a couple molts. Now she races my wife and I down the hallway to the bathroom or bedroom. She also flys to her training stand when she wants to play more (for treats).

Avoiding startling noises during fight time helps avoid panic flying and crashes. Once, she got startled by a loud noise and flew straight up in our vaulted livingroom where she clung to a curtain for dear life about 12 feet up. We had to rescue her.
Like others have said, he'll get better with time.
Harry's training sessions when she was younger.

· Registered
57 Posts
I'm just adding that my parrotlet's flight behaviour changes for the better every time she has time out of her cage. In addition to chasing us up and down the hallway from kitchen to bathroom, she is now flying in a cloverleaf pattern to build up height to fly to our second floor loft.

Wood Gas Hardwood Beam Wood stain

· Super Moderator
3,905 Posts
That reminds me of Kiwi when she was younger and I was having to give her medication for her gastric yeast infection. Out of the cage, up to the top of the kitchen cupboards to peer down at me. I cannot imagine how that would have gone if she had a Dalek army at her back!

· Registered
25 Posts
Hello, I have seen in your introductory post that you have just only gotten your birdie! Not only it will take quite a bit of time until he will get used to you, but also to his surroundings. Our Kiki is approx 8months old and we have had him for nearly 5. You need to interact with your bird daily and one of the activities should definitely be flight practice. We have started with opening his cage, letting him sit on the outer perch and lure him on our hands with a millet heads. while gradually increasing the distance. Took some time and indeed there were some scary and clumsy moments, couple of times he run into the wall. Its important to pull away furniture from the walls to a safe distance, so he doesnt get stuck or hurt himself. Make sure that wherever you practice, its well lit room. They dont see very well in darker conditions. we have a stretched open plan lounge/ kitchen and until about 3 - 4 weeks ago he wouldnt even cross the lounge boundaries. But as his flying has improved, he really started enjoying it and he is always looking forward to fly out in the morning and follow me all the way to the kitchen and land on my shoulder. when practicing flying, if you notice he is levitating but seems to struggle with holding on and trying to land, try to provide open palms to catch. Kiki learned flying a bit faster than landing. Now he is a happy flier and he is getting better day by day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts