Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can someone tell me why there are some birds with blue eyes, is this just a mutation?
I have one of each, blue eyed and dark eyed I am curious.

Bonnie ( for Dr. Bonnie Henry in BC Canada) is a blue, blue eyed female, my male Cloud is
a blue pied he has dark eyes and is smaller in body and bone of the leg and feet. I think they
are about four years old. They came to me as a bonded pair in need of a home.
They mate but do not produce and I like it that way! it's like they are spayed I love it.
No worries for me they are very happy and I am very happy!

I have had them for about a year.
They are joined at the hip, yes I have read all about P'lets living separately but I have no
plans to separate them. Their stress level is minimal with just two adults in the home.
If our home was busy it might not work as well as it does. The two tiny birds share an
aviary, we always joke where is waldo?

She is not food driven, my male is. I taught my male to give kisses for sunflower kernels
he just loves them. She does not. She was watching all the time I was training and
the other day she came down and over and just gave me a kiss and took a kernel then spat it
out ( not at all her favorite) I just about peed my pants! She does this now
all the time, once in a while she will eat the kernel. Bonny has made it clear she does
not wish to be left out.

Neither bird has ever bit me, I have my hands/arms head in their enclosure every day always positive. I take care not to present the opportunity with a lot of respect, and it has worked
well. I can take a cloth and wipe down stuff with them just sitting there and watching.
I think they sense the respect, and are used to the routine.

They get sprouts, lots of veggies, the odd bit of fruit, Roudybush pellets, millet, and they love
the little sweet hothouse peppers and hot ones too. I have not tried pasta or grains. They are good eaters they try everything I put in. for fun occasionally I give them a large bell pepper
core, they mince it after the seeds are eaten. They are also fans of Kinder egg toys., there
is a jungle series, Bonny loves her green alligator and everymorning goes down for a gator
wrestle, I find gator on it's back and I know Bonny won again.

Nice to find you, hope I did not ramble too much.

I want to know more about training two at a time, they are parent raised birds, and not tame, but seem to have tamed down a lot and they trust me and like me. So what next?

Thanks
Smitten馃槉 with being a Parront
Bird Plant Beak Green Feather

Super Moderator
Hi and welcome to the forum! Your post ended up in the Approval Queue, so I fixed that so that it is now available for members to see.

They sound like they have come to accept you. I wouldn't worry about giving them pasta or too much soft food like that, as that would inspire egg-laying. Egg-laying is hard on a female's body, and can even be life threatening, so you do want to avoid giving them things that would push their relationship to produce eggs.

I love the Where's Waldo image! Parrotlets - the only parrots you can lose track of even in a tiny cage! Tumi has a TINY travel container, and I can't always spot him in that even when he climbs underneath the food dish and puts the paper towel over his head.

Tumi dislikes sunflower seeds too, but he loves walnuts. Maybe Bonnie would prefer a different treat as motivation.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome Dana and Tumi :)

Ok about the pasta and soft foods I will not bother with those. Thanks for the tip.

The person that had my two birds before me tried everything to get them to produce
but they would not, I think that is the reason he sold them. They mate very often
in the springtime but there is nothing ever beyond that., and I hope to keep it that
way.

Yes. I have to figure out what Bonnie (Bonny) I have not spelled her name until just
lately lol. What she really likes best. I have watched and she picks the canola out of the
soak seed, she also does love her millet maybe that will be enough.

Does anyone elses birds make sea grass mat soup? I mean my guys will chew apart
the mat and take the bits to the water bowl and soak it and chew it like chewing tobacco.
They have devoured one mat so far.

I do love their sense of humor, Bonnie will twirl on her swing upside down and around
I just love how they play. I totally agree with people that say they are big birds in tiny
bodies.

Automotive lighting Gas Electric blue Display device Event
Automotive lighting Gas Electric blue Display device Event
Smitten who still thinks all the little blue feathers on the floor are cute!

Registered
Thank you for the welcome Dana and Tumi :)

Ok about the pasta and soft foods I will not bother with those. Thanks for the tip.

The person that had my two birds before me tried everything to get them to produce
but they would not, I think that is the reason he sold them. They mate very often
in the springtime but there is nothing ever beyond that., and I hope to keep it that
way.

Yes. I have to figure out what Bonnie (Bonny) I have not spelled her name until just
lately lol. What she really likes best. I have watched and she picks the canola out of the
soak seed, she also does love her millet maybe that will be enough.

Does anyone elses birds make sea grass mat soup? I mean my guys will chew apart
the mat and take the bits to the water bowl and soak it and chew it like chewing tobacco.
They have devoured one mat so far.

I do love their sense of humor, Bonnie will twirl on her swing upside down and around
I just love how they play. I totally agree with people that say they are big birds in tiny
bodies.

View attachment 46848 View attachment 46849 Smitten who still thinks all the little blue feathers on the floor are cute!
I'm partial to "Bonnie" myself ;)

My little blue boy has dark eyes and light nails. They are all different!

My little guy also dunks stuff in his water haha, and loves to chew paper and spit out the little paper balls. Millet is often a favourite too. You can try hemp seeds as well, my guys LOVES them. His favourite is still sunflower though.

Your two sound like such fun! I'm glad you're smitten 馃グ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts