TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a young parrotlet. She will be 1 in may. She’s out of her cage 90% of the day she sits on top or flies to us (usually while we are eating) she enjoys sitting on my shoulder and kisses. She loves to sit on her swing in her cage but she has toys that she just doesn’t touch. It’s almost like she doesn’t know how to play?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It could be that she does not know how to play with them, but some birds rarely play with their toys. You can try playing with them to show her what to do. Sometimes they surprise you out of the blue and decide a toy that they have rarely touched is a lot of fun. Do you have things for her to chew such as yucca kabobs or toys made from natural materials (Planet Pleasures for example)?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you on board! 🦜 Many birds do not play with toys, but this does not mean they are unhappy. The two p'letts I had in the past 13 years loved to play with toys. The first p'lett I was owned by had to be shown how to play with his hundreds of toys. Oh, he would chew on toys and forage for treats that I hid in the toys, but I had to interact with him and his toys to get him really interested in playing. I played games with him, like, I would take a small animal shaped toy and put it in front of my Bogie. Then, I would grab the toy and pretend to attack Bogie. He would play-fight back. He loved for me to play with him...and I loved to do so!

Another thing I did with my p'lett was to put him on the table and I would lay my head down on the table next to him. My forehead would be on the table. I would then pretend to cry while covering the side of my face with my hands. After a few seconds, Bogie would walk all around my head and try to peek in to see my face. He eventually would get to where he would pull at my fingers to get me to lift my face. My wife would watch and crack up with laughter. It took several attempts to get him to react, but he finally couldn't stand it any longer. I would lift my face and ask for a kissy kiss to show him all was okay.

I miss my birds! I am supposed to get a new baby in April! Yea!

David🦜

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Your female sounds like my female. She does not care for most of her toys either. If your bird likes to climb, you may want to get her things like ladders, a climbing net or maybe she might like different kinds of swings to hang out on. Cleopatra is out the cage a lot too and I think she sees me as her favorite toy/slave to entertain herself with. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Your female sounds like my female. She does not care for most of her toys either. If your bird likes to climb, you may want to get her things like ladders, a climbing net or maybe she might like different kinds of swings to hang out on. Cleopatra is out the cage a lot too and I think she sees me as her favorite toy/slave to entertain herself with. :D
Percy is just like Cleopatra! when she's out of her cage I'm her favorite toy😀 In the cage Percy loves bells and anything wood.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
My Sunshine is 6 months old, he does not play or chew on anything. I do pretend to play with his toys but he jus tis not interested. He is not that interested in me either lol. He seems happy though chirps a lot. He will let me pet him and he will step up but flies back to his cage. My last parrotlet used to destroy the chew toys I have. so I bought the same thing for my new guy. They are night and day birds this has been an interesting ride with this new boy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts