Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone..
I got my new parrotlet yesterday and am so excited about it:). I am giving him his own space for a couple of days. The question I have is that the cage placement in the house. I read in so many articles and threads that you should not keep the cage in or around the kitchen. I want to keep my bird cage in a corner of the living room rather than in an isolated/unused bedroom. The corner where I keep my cage is almost 12 to 13 feet from the stovetop( it is an open style kitchen). We do get medium amount of smoke while cooking and I switch on the exhaust fan and open the balcony door while cooking. So is it safe for my bird to be there? I am so much concerned that the fumes/ smoke might hurt him. Please give me advice/ suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
The most important question is, what type of cookware do you use. The vast majority of non-stick cookware is coated with Teflon, which, when accidentally heated too high produces fumes that are deadly to birds. If there is smoke involved in your regular cooking, then this is a major hazard, no matter where you put the cage. This includes non-stick baking sheets. Other than those poisonous fumes, parrots are basically walking lungs, so any sort of smoke can be dangerous. If you think the smoke goes as far as where you want to put the cage, then you need to move the cage further away. OR you need to go with a multi-cage setup, and put the bird in the further away cage when you are cooking. (Tumi has 4 cages, and it works out well for both of us. His main cage is nice and large, so the other cages can be smaller play spaces.) This will only work if you have already worked on step up and handling and can move the bird from cage to cage. I assume from your question that this is an only bird, and perhaps a first birds at least in a long time. Read up on Bonding and Training and start working on getting the bird used to you so that you can begin handling it. And the second most important thing to do is post pictures on the forum!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I have Ollie & his budgie friend, Periwinkle in the eating area of our kitchen. It's an open area to the family room. Any cooking fumes exhausts outside, and works well. I have no teflon, but have ecology-safe ceramic, a cast iron pan, and copper clad cookware from Costco. So far so good. It's the oven fumes that can kill birds, so be VERY careful if cleaning your oven. Put your birds in a safe place, i.e., on another floor of your house, if you can and open windows. Best to you.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Our house has a large opening from living room (where Huey is) to kitchen. I don't let him out when we are cooking or shortly after if we are using the stove as I fear he might land on a hot burner. When I cook I put on the exhaust fan so any smoke will get sucked outside.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
How large is the cage? Can he/she fly in it? How many perches do you have?
My Bogie has a cage that is located on a bar between the kitchen and a huge open space(living room). He is 4 feet from a sink and 8 feet from the stove/oven. He can see the TV and me. There is a 3 foot by 5 foot window 3 feet from his cage. He can see everything inside and out.!

Get rid of all Teflon pots and pans if your p'let is near a stove/oven. My friend bought 2 parakeets and they were too close to the stove. The friend cooked some bacon and when he was finished, so were the birds! That quick! He had an old frying pan made with Teflon. He lived in a mobile home with a non-working exhaust fan.

Please read everything you can on raising a parrotlet. They are a special little bird that you will fall in love with! Send pics!!! We love them!:):)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and tips. I did move his cage into our guest bedroom where he can see us in the living room when the door is open and I can close the door when cooking. So far doing great

1 - 7 of 7 Posts