Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering if any of you knew of any reputable breeders of parrotlets in the Los Angeles area?

I found one breeder at www.parrotletworld.com & have NOTHING good to say about him. His demeanor was absolutely rude & unprofessional. Don't get birds from him!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I dont think i'd want to get birds from that guy at parrotlet world. His site is presented in such a manner that seems to imply he's just breeding parrotlets for money. I dunno. It just didn't sit right with me

·
Registered
350 Posts
Avoid www.parrotletworld.com at all costs. I am copying and pasting this from a previous thread that was written about them. This post was by Koki:
I bought a pair of babies, intended for breeding, from Matt. BAD DECISION.

It took him 4 months to fill the order after he promised them in a month. He never responded to emails or phone calls until he was ready to talk. The male died the day I received it. He did replace the male but got real ugly about it. He wanted me to wrap the dead bird in 4 layers of plastic bag and mail it back to him (a federal crime) so he could deduct it on his taxes. I can understand that, but I'm not going to commit a federal crime so he can deduct the dead bird. Then he told me it was really cool, b/c he could deduct the dead bird, but also deduct the replacement, it just depends on how you fill out the papterwork. He told me "Parrotlets are no different from potato chips or any other product, it's a business!"

My birds are just now being set up as they are about a year old. They are supposed to be garunteed yellow/blue and blue/yellow, but we'll see.

Also, he is not the breeder of these birds, he buys them from a lot of other people and resells them, at least some of them, if not all. I know this b/c the bands on all the birds had different breeder initials. He did not supply the hatch certificates. He was supposed to give me handfeed birds, but they were parent raised, he told me this. He also told me the best way to handle them was with thick rubber gloves, just grab em and it's no problem.

One time on the phone he told me he had just lost about 100 birds he had packed for shipping, when his dog got excited and knocked all the carriers open and they flew out the window. I don't believe that. This was one of the weeks he was supposed to send birds and didn't, didn't respond to phone calls or emails, and two weeks later called and told me the sob story. Then a week later is when I got the bird that mysteriously died. I'm pretty sure he had some kind of outbreak that killed most of his birds.

What else?? The birds had massive AGY. No clinical signs and I've treated it recently. They are now testing negative so I hope to have broken the cycle.

I'll never do business with him again! No matter what the prices.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yi! THat's horrible. Yes, definitely stay clear of him. It's not worth it. Poor little parrotlets... it's a shame they have to live in that environment.

·
Registered
626 Posts
http://www.parrotletranch.com/

She basically wrote the book (and has) on parrotlets and was the first to discover the lucida sub species.

Magnolia bird farm doesn't have time to socialize their hand fed birds, btw. I bought my yellow nape from them 30+ years ago, but haven't been there for more than 15 so I don't know how much has changed though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts