Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Parrotlet Behaviour

Tags
behavior
2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  pastel&beyza 
#1 ·
Hello All!

New parrotlet owner here :) I just wanted to consult you something. Pastel's behaviour is really changing throughout the day. Sometimes he is really energetic, playful and curious, sometimes he preens for minutes and sometimes he just stays where he is without doing anything. I wonder if this is normal. Everything I read said they are very energetic. Pastel is also energetic but it really varies during the day. Especially when he goes on top of tv, it is warm he snuggles the tv and stays there for a while. I also wanted to ask if this heat is harmful for him or will he fly away if he feels uncomfortable? I added some pictures of my boy too, as you will see he is obsessed with my phone so I can rarely take pictures of him, lucky me today :) Thank you very much in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Beyza, Pastel’s behavior sounds perfectly normal to me. My Cleopatra is like that, she has spurts of energy throughout her day, and then takes time out to preen, take naps and just chill out - especially after she eats – she gets sooo sleepy. Yes, as a rule, most parrotlets can be feisty and full of energy, but not all of them are. Some are quieter and more subdued. Each bird is different in some way. Just like people. I love to hear that Pastel is doing so well. He looks like a happy little guy. And he is so cute! I love the second picture of him. :) As far as sitting on top of your TV, I would just watch to make sure he is not pooping into any openings, and yes, parrotlets are good at sensing danger and he will fly away if it gets uncomfortable for him. Pastel is still a baby, so he has yet to grow up into a mature adult parrotlet. That will likely happen after he goes through the Terrible Two’s is which is when they go through puberty. It usually happens when they are around 6 months or so.

#3 ·
He is adorable! Thanks for the pictures!
Tumi naps throughout the day, so that seems normal to me. If he ever stops being active, then you should have an avian vet check him out.
Ditto on the watching about openings in your tv. I also would worry about him deciding to chew on it. If it is possible, I might safely put something there that is safe for him to chew on.
Tumi is obsessed with my phone too. He sees it as a friend/sibling, and wants to chew on it. Since he sees me on it all the time, he wants to be on it too! :)

#4 ·
100% normal! Monty will be asleep one second and then playing another and then suddenly asleep again.

My bird sleeps on my laptop keyboard because it's warm. So many poops on my keyboard. I have to sanitize it semi-regularly.

That last picture is so cute 🥺

#5 ·
Hello all! Thank you so much for all the replies, you are amazing I am so relieved! :) I had a budgie before, but this is my first time with these guys and I am amazed how cute, loving and inteligent they are! I love him so much :) Maybe this is why I am over analyzing!

@Anya I can't wait to live his every moment including terrible two! Although I am a bit worried about that phase, how to behave to him during this period etc. But I will be ready.

@Rubydoo252 he is literally trying to chew everything I am so busy all day trying to stop him from chewing things :D thank god he is not chewing tv yet but what you suggested might be useful with other things although he is really obsessed with the things he want to chew. For example he is in love with the TV remote too so I always put the remote down so that he won't chew its buttons. But this one time I forgot to put it upside down and went to kitchen to get water literally about 30 seconds and when I came back I found hime chewed half of the on/off button. Thank god he didn't swallowed the bits :(

@aqueilo Pastel is obsessed with laptop and keyboard too! This new generation birds... so into technology huh? :D

Thank you again all, you were all so helpful and nice!

#6 ·
@Anya I can't wait to live his every moment including terrible two! Although I am a bit worried about that phase, how to behave to him during this period etc. But I will be ready.
I would start now with gentle beak teaching how to use it gentle. When my girl went through her 2s she started trying her pressure point and wow didn't know a little beak like that could hurt, she never made me bleed but she was a fan of tattoos and put holes in my fathering laws knuckles trying to get the "things" off lol

LOVE the gentle beak method and so glad I found this sight when I got her so many wonderful helpful people!!

#9 ·
Remotes are a popular things to want to destroy. It is very unlikely that Pastel will eat the pieces, but unfortunately it is also unlikely that he will ever not be interested in the remote unless you stop using it. Either keep at the distraction and denial or have a sacrificial remote to keep yours alive.
Gentle beak seems to work for most parrotlets most of the time. Tumi responds well to it!

#11 ·
Pretty much anything that you use regularly or pay attention regularly gets their interest and they can be persistent about it.
Rio's current passion is my iphone and ipad but his passion interest at this time is my glasses. He will fly across the room just to hang from my glasses or try to remove them from my face. Cheeky fellow....

#13 ·
Hahahaha you are all so right. I see every single thing you mention with my guy too. They are so cute though, they make you want to buy them private cell phones just for them to destroy! :D

I would like to ask one more thing too. Two days ago I noticed that Pastel's feathers are wavy on the inner sides. I believe he is currently molting if that is any relevant. But do you have any idea what this is? I read that feather defects may be related to nutrition. When we for him (until he is 3 months old) he was fed only seed. But now I feed him lots of vegetables, sweet potato, pumpkin, eggs, grains, legumes and seeds. No pellet though because there are only a few brands of pellet in Turkey and they are not good quality. They are full of colorings and chemicals. I have also added some pictures but it is a bit more wavier in reality. I couldn't get a good angle, because you know why... :)

Attachments

#14 ·
The waviness seems more related to the preening than something nutritional, but that is just a guess. Maybe with the molting he is busy dealing with all the feathers and some are getting neglected? He is ADORABLE! Feathers work like zippers, where the individual parts zip together and are kept properly zipped by preening. The waviness would have to do with the "zipper" part of the feather and how well it is "zipped."

#15 ·
Not knowing your bird or blood line, but having a bit of experience with blues and stressed. I see a bit of stress bar in the feather but not too bad. Get her on good feed, especially egg and sun light / avian light and she should straighten out just fine.

#16 ·
Yes, he may be neglecting some of his feathers. I am happy to hear that these waves are not nutrition-based. But I had no idea about stress bars, how can I identify stress bars? :( I can not find any avian light in Turkey maybe I will buy it from an abroad site. Are these stress bars take some time to form? I have him for only a month and he has been eating really well (I hope). He is not picky at all, but as I said he was only fed seeds before, maybe that's why. I hope I can help him. Thank you so much for being so helpful guys!

#17 ·
Monty had bars on his tail when he came to us - it's like a blackish speckling at the end. He had been plucked by nest mates and was a little stressed. They fell out at his molt and grew back their normal colour.

Edit to add: here's a picture of stress bars. Monty's were at the end of his feathers but they can be a bit further up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.