Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to parrotlets.
I have a female parrotlet, approximately 7 months old. She has been living with me since she was 4 months old. I got her from a friend who is a breeder, and he had been conditioning her to be used to human contact.
When she first joined me she was quiet, but gradually became comfortable stepping onto my hand and being near/on me. I never forced her but waited for her to be comfortable doing so.
I work at home during the day, and usually let her come and go from her cage at will for a lot of the day. She used to explore the living room quite a bit, or sit on top of my computer screen and sleep / preen / grind her beak.
I make sure she has foraging toys and chewing/destructing toys, both of which are changed regularly.
Lately she has become increasingly aggressive, and particularly territorial about her cage. She won't leave the cage area much, and attacks me when I change her food and water. If I am within sight anywhere in my apartment she'll start chattering / squawking cloudly, fluffing up and dancing around her cage or nearby, and if I come near the cage she'll lunge at me to chase me away.
I know she isn't scared of me - in the evenings she will occasionally still step up onto my hand, sleep in my hand, and submit to many head scratches, or sleep on my shoulder and grind her beak.
The aggressive behaviour is becoming a problem - does anyone know if this might be just hormonal? Do I wait for it to pass? Or is there something I should be doing?
Any advice gratefully received!

·
Registered
776 Posts
It sounds hormonal to me. At seven months old, my guess is that she is going through the Terrible Two's which is when their baby stage has ended and they are going through puberty. Being territorial of their cage, being aggressive and biting are classic signs of the change. Their hormones go crazy which can turn them into little tyrannical monsters! lol It usually lasts around 4-6 weeks. Just keep your bird on a healthy diet - try to avoid junky human food. Provide good quality seeds, lots of veggies, cut back on pellets at this time (too much protein). Just give fruit and nuts occasionally. Oats and grains are good, This is a hard time on them. They really can't help it. You just have to have patience with them and remember that is all part of nature and it will pass. You will have your sweet little girl back again when it is all over. Hang in there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's such a relief. I wondered about that because she's also shedding quite a few of her baby feathers.
I don't mind her being cranky as long as it's not because I'm making her unhappy!
Thanks very much for the feedback. :) very appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
I also think this song nds like normal behavior. I remember my Melody being a terror as she grew out of the baby stage! She was still affectionate by yikes was she aggressive. I will say this was part of her personality. She was the most possessive and agressive of all three my parrotlets, honestly we used to say she no one likes her but us and that was true. Very big personality and lots of spunk. She was the most entertaining, smartest and most fun for sure of our three. All that to say this may be partly your birds personality, you will learn to navigate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts