Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :)
This is my first post in the forum...

We have a parrotlet who is 3 years old...and he seems happy... he "speaks" to us and likes to come out of his cage when we are in the room. However recently we've noticed an odd behavior change (it's been around 2 months now) Most of the time when he wants to get out of the cage we open the door and he steps out but takes a long time to actually fly to us (he used to fly out immediately when we open the cage door) He just comes out and it's almost as if he's scared to fly. Then when he decides to actually fly, he comes close to us and then panics and just goes round the room and sometimes crash lands :( it seems that he panics and gets disoriented... it's very scary when he crash lands :(:( Before he used to fly straight at me or hubby and lands on our shoulders or heads... now it's like he's afraid... I cannot think of anything we might have done to scare him...and he doesn't seem scared of us...

Can anyone guide me on how to approach this? Maybe some techniques so that he starts flying towards us without panicking and crashing into a wall or window? :(

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Hell and welcome!
Your post is difficult to figure out. So many things could be going on. You say that nothing has scared him? No cats? Dogs? Do you yell and argue around him? He is 3 years old, but did you get him a long time ago, or just a few months ago?

Look closely at his feathers. Can you hold him to look at his wings for any problems? Clearly, if he is not a sick bird, then something in his flying room has changed to scare him. What do you feed him? Veggies? Seeds? Pellets? Eggs. Broiled or baked chicken(cut into small pieces? ) Look into his eyes. Any cataracts? Lesions?

Is there an avian vet there in Malta?

New paintings on the wall?
Keep in touch!

David and Bogie.;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts