Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!! Newcomer here, I’ve been reading forums for awhile now so thought I’d finally make an account as I may be finally getting a parrotlet soon!

I’m a 21 year old living in South Australia for context.

So, I have a question. Tomorrow I’ll finally be meeting a few baby pacific parrotlets from a breeder! My dream bird, which I’d never thought I’d find in SA as they aren’t common at all here, so I was super hopeful and excited when I found this breeder nearby!

Here’s the possible issue, they’re around 35-40 days old (just shy of 6 weeks). From a few of the posts here they say parrotlets are usually fully weaned by 8-10 weeks. Now I in no way, shape or form have any experience in weaning and formula, except for reading about it online. However the breeder says they’re currently eating sprouted budgie mix, boiled eggs, rice and veggies.

Is it worth the risk if I decide to bring one home tomorrow if all goes well? Everything at home is set up and ready to go.

thanks so much in advance for any replies!

·
Registered
484 Posts
The main thing here is: are you ready and willing to hand feed the bird if they regress, or do you feel comfortable recognizing the signs of regression? If no, wait the 3-4 weeks. We visited our bird multiple times at about this age to handle and play with him, but took him home later.

If it was me, I would just wait.

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
First everything is always depended on the bird in question. They are all very much their own individuals.
I have been on this site since 2013 and have been a parrotlet owner all that time. During that time I have heard many bad stories about breeders pushing birds out early so I am a bit against early pickups. I tend to leave them with the breeder for a bit longer as long as they are still getting support. Anything short of 8 weeks can be a bit iffy depending on the bird. I got my latest parrotlet Rio last year at a little over 8 weeks old. Given that he did regress a bit and did a bunch of baby food begging. We were lucky in that Jules my older hen adopted him and fed him a bit for a week or two. I am pretty sure at 6 weeks there would have been issues even though many breeders are ok with that timing. But from a breeder point of view the quicker out the more profitable the bird is.

Reactions: jinxedshinx

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. My advice would be to not bring home a baby parrotlet until they are fully weaned which is between 8-12 weeks. It should be the breeders responsibility up to that point. A reputable breeder will only sell a bird that is fully weaned. Do not buy a bird unless it is completely eating on its own for at least a week or preferably longer..

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I will tell you that I have been raising birds of several kinds for over 55 years. The last 12 years were with parrotlets. I, too, have been on this forum since 2013 and have seen just about everything. One thing for sure, if you really care about your bird, you will wait 8-12 weeks to get one. Some birds can be taken home at 6 weeks, but you are taking a huge risk! Your new bird must still be around others his/her age as long as possible before you take them home. Also, it is wise to make sure the breeder has hand trained your bird. If they are not, then you have another task on your hands with a new bird. Overall, parrotlets are not an easy bird to have, unless you get one who is friendly.

In the state of Florida, birds must be 8 weeks old before they can be sold. Puppies and cats, too! There is a good reason for this. It is better for the animal.

You sound like you will give your little one plenty of love. This is a plus. Do you have an avian vet near you? You will need one. Please think this over. Give the baby as much chance as you can. One thing for sure, I am leery of any breeder who would sell a bird at 6 weeks, unless the buyer is very experienced at raising baby birds. Your p'lett will be with you up to 20 wonderful years.

Keep us posted.

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum! I will tell you that I have been raising birds of several kinds for over 55 years. The last 12 years were with parrotlets. I, too, have been on this forum since 2013 and have seen just about everything. One thing for sure, if you really care about your bird, you will wait 8-12 weeks to get one. Some birds can be taken home at 6 weeks, but you are taking a huge risk! Your new bird must still be around others his/her age as long as possible before you take them home. Also, it is wise to make sure the breeder has hand trained your bird. If they are not, then you have another task on your hands with a new bird. Overall, parrotlets are not an easy bird to have, unless you get one who is friendly.

In the state of Florida, birds must be 8 weeks old before they can be sold. Puppies and cats, too! There is a good reason for this. It is better for the animal.

You sound like you will give your little one plenty of love. This is a plus. Do you have an avian vet near you? You will need one. Please think this over. Give the baby as much chance as you can. One thing for sure, I am leery of any breeder who would sell a bird at 6 weeks, unless the buyer is very experienced at raising baby birds. Your p'lett will be with you up to 20 wonderful years.

Keep us posted.

David
Thank you so much for your insightful and experienced input! I really appreciate it.

when meeting the birds tonight I’ll make sure to ask plenty of questions and observe the birds closely. I don’t mind waiting a couple weeks if it means less risk and a healthier, happier bird.

just really hope they’re a reputable breeder and won’t try to sell them off to someone else if I wait. Maybe we’ll put down a deposit to make sure.

thanks again,
-Sophie

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thank you so much for your insightful and experienced input! I really appreciate it.

when meeting the birds tonight I’ll make sure to ask plenty of questions and observe the birds closely. I don’t mind waiting a couple weeks if it means less risk and a healthier, happier bird.

just really hope they’re a reputable breeder and won’t try to sell them off to someone else if I wait. Maybe we’ll put down a deposit to make sure.

thanks again,
-Sophie
I wouldn't trust a breeder that would push you super hard to take the bird home at 6 weeks and would sell them from under you. Seems shady as hell. Hopefully everything goes well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
L
I wouldn't trust a breeder that would push you super hard to take the bird home at 6 weeks and would sell them from under you. Seems shady as hell. Hopefully everything goes well.
First everything is always depended on the bird in question. They are all very much their own individuals.
I have been on this site since 2013 and have been a parrotlet owner all that time. During that time I have heard many bad stories about breeders pushing birds out early so I am a bit against early pickups. I tend to leave them with the breeder for a bit longer as long as they are still getting support. Anything short of 8 weeks can be a bit iffy depending on the bird. I got my latest parrotlet Rio last year at a little over 8 weeks old. Given that he did regress a bit and did a bunch of baby food begging. We were lucky in that Jules my older hen adopted him and fed him a bit for a week or two. I am pretty sure at 6 weeks there would have been issues even though many breeders are ok with that timing. But from a breeder point of view the quicker out the more profitable the bird is.
Update: We decided to bring our little blue girl home. Her name is Billie. She’s perfect and I’m so in love!!

she’s been eating millet sprig mostly and had a couple bites of boiled egg and lettuce. After night one I left her cage door open to give her the option of leaving. Eventually she flew out and it was pretty hectic with her bumping into walls and flying fairly clumsily. I just stayed in there supervising her pretty much all day while she explored! She’s gotten so much better at flying and navigating my room already, so proud haha.

She kept getting closer and closer to me and eventually kept landing on my head while I was laying down. then the most amazing thing happened..we offered her millet and she stepped up for it! Day one and she was already comfortable on my hand :) she wasn't hand-raised either.

so blessed to have this beautiful girl in my life and I can tell we will create a strong bond together. I will obviously still be supervising her lots in case of signs of regression.

thank you so much everyone who replied to my original post, but we felt the time was right for her to come home :)

·
Super Moderator
5,096 Posts
A good thing to do EVERY DAY while she is so young is to weigh her. You can put a small dish of food on a food scale and does grams (do this first thing in the morning). Zero out the scale and then place the bird on it. Note down her weight every day for the next several weeks - this will help ensure that you don't miss any food regression. Millet is fine for her to eat, but she should be eating pellets or seeds as well to be considered weaned.

Teaching flying is challenging for us non-flighted folks. I used a nice big bed as our crash pad while Tumi was learning. Definitely do not let her explore unsupervised - SO many things are dangerous when you are so small.

·
Registered
484 Posts
L

Update: We decided to bring our little blue girl home. Her name is Billie. She’s perfect and I’m so in love!!

she’s been eating millet sprig mostly and had a couple bites of boiled egg and lettuce. After night one I left her cage door open to give her the option of leaving. Eventually she flew out and it was pretty hectic with her bumping into walls and flying fairly clumsily. I just stayed in there supervising her pretty much all day while she explored! She’s gotten so much better at flying and navigating my room already, so proud haha.

She kept getting closer and closer to me and eventually kept landing on my head while I was laying down. then the most amazing thing happened..we offered her millet and she stepped up for it! Day one and she was already comfortable on my hand :) she wasn't hand-raised either.

so blessed to have this beautiful girl in my life and I can tell we will create a strong bond together. I will obviously still be supervising her lots in case of signs of regression.

thank you so much everyone who replied to my original post, but we felt the time was right for her to come home :)
Welcome Billie! Feel free to share any photos!

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Congrats on your new adventure with Bille. For now make sure she has millet available 24x7. It is a good simple energy food for a young bird.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts