Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm really happy to have found this forum as i'm in need of advice.
I've put a deposit down for a parent reared female american yellow parrotlet, i've been told this little baby will tame down just as well as any hand reared specimen and would like to hear from anyone else with experience or advise for me please. Many thanks, Lynn x

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi Lynn, My bird was a rescue and I was not sure of her beginnings. Her life was not good before I saved her and so I tried to let her get to know me slowly. I feel that even with parent rearing that they will make an attatchment if they don't feel threatened and feel safe. What about the old saying about not biting the hand that feeds you? My experience is that they desire to bond, they are flock creatures and not solitary. My bird has been with me almost 6 years, I was patient and I was rewarded with most gorgeous little friend.Use your common sense and put yourself in it's shoes and you will make a great friend...HAHA we had to leave our Mother's too.HAHA Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The parent reared baby will be just as tame as a hand fed, it will just take a little longer. A hand fed is used to being with and depending on humans, so all they have to adjust to is a new human (you) and new surroundings. A parent raised baby is not used to humans and will need a little more time & patients to adjust not just to surroundings and you, but to being touched & cared for by a human vs another bird. In the long run, there should be no difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts