Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can my parakeets and a parrotlets behave well in the same cage? I know that parrotlets are territorial, but he will be introduced to the cage long after my parakeet has. I have a very passive and behaving parakeet (as of now, i have a parakeet and cockatiel in the same cage because they get along so well)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I strongly advize against this idea. Although it is possible that they will get allong fine, parrotlets can be moody at times and you only need one incident for your parakeet to wind up dead.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I think it can be done in large aviaries easier. I would not do it in a cage though. Even if they got along most of the time, you just never know what could happen. It is so neat when birds can be together, but I would not take a chance that a tragidy could happen. I think supervised playtime together would be good.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would not recommend housing a parrotlet and parakeet in the same cage. I have 3 parakeets and 1 parrotlet. the parrotlet has her own cage in a separate room of the house. The 3 parakeets are in one large cage and they are fine; however, every once in a while Kiwi will find her way to the parakeet cage and there is one of the parakeets that she gets within a couple inches and will sit nicely but then try to bite him. My parakeets are adorable and gentle and I would feel awful if anything happened to them. As loving as Kiwi can be, there is more aggression with her. I hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I agree - Supervised play time would be my suggestion also - providing they get along - I've heard some do but I would discourage housing them together.

Parrotlets are very temperamental with sharply varying moods and their actions are different than a Budgies - Most cage mates will quarrel from time to time (my Pair of P'lets do) but they are matched for each other - Parrotlets like to beak lunge as I call it and a Budgies beak is much slimmer and weaker than a Parrotlets - if a Parrotlet got hold of a Budgie's beak it could take it off. Also Parrotlets have a form of bickering that Budgies don't - they like to go for the legs - A Budgie is no match for a P'let IMO.

BTW welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Never would that be possible in a cage. An aviary, yes with lots of things to do and free flight.

I let my Kiwi adventure with my Cokatiel, Sonnie. They do anwesome together, but sometimes have bad play dates when one of them is in a bad mood. Imagine if they were in the same cage and one of them were having a bad mood... it would be hard to get out of the bars to run away or to leave the other one alone.

Like Pado said, "A Budgie is no match for a P'let"

AND I would strongly suggest taking the parakeet out of the cockatiel cage. Mixing different species in a small area is bad because a lot of things can go wrong even though they lasted for sooo long with no problem. It can turn up bad at any second.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with everyone else. The p'lets and some of the english budgies get playtime in the store, and typically the ornery little parrotlets are always irritating the budgie. We then moved to 'very supervised' playtime. :p I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are parrotlets really that aggressive? they seem so small to do any damage:) So at worst, the parrotlet would attack the budgie simply on a whim or if the budgie bothered him a lot?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Most I've seen are very aggressive compared to their size. My guy has no problem trying to eat the caique/amazon/pionus etc. The BF Amazon is actually afraid of him. c: They truely are big parrots in little bodies.

·
Registered
794 Posts
are parrotlets really that aggressive? they seem so small to do any damage:) So at worst, the parrotlet would attack the budgie simply on a whim or if the budgie bothered him a lot?
Parrotlets believe they are big birds, without considering their size.
They sometimes get themseleves hurt by trying to attack a much, much bigger bird.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am inclined to say NO, b/c if you are very inexperienced it could lead to disaster. However, I have a five foot flight cage with grass parakeets and a parrotlet and a cockatiel. They do marvelously together. But I have been working with parrots for a number of years, am an avian trainer & behaviorist and know what to look for :)

Point being - it is a possibility - but only when extreme caution is taken and when a full flight or bird room is provided.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts