Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sally - I've been trying to snap a Picture of Mrs. Penny Peepers rump since our last conversation on the Lucida Pacific Parrotlets. She FINALLY fluffed out while I had the camera in hand :p she usually keeps her wings completely closed. They are both going through their molt still. But you can see Mr. Rupert Peepers Colbalt blue rump compaired to her Pale Blue rump.

Another:

They said to excuse their unkempt look - as they can't help it, they're molting :D :D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
How neat! I guess she is a Lucida. I was thrown off with the gray, but if the girls have no gray I guess it is settled.

Your fids are adorable.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pado, you say girls do not have to have gray, right? I am on the internet reading some more....[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pacific Lucida Parrotlet [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](Forpus coelestis lucida)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This variation has most of the same characteristics and colors as the Pacific Parrotlet except as noted: although mainly green, Lucida males and females both have blue color on their wings and rump. The males' blue coloring on the rump is dark cobalt blue and the blue markings around the eye are darker than the female, which is similar to a male Pacific (normal-colored). Also, both male and female have a gray wash over the green coloring on the wings. Note: This variation is not recognized in all reference materials.[/FONT]

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sally - I've seen that article on 'Positively Parrotlets' - Maybe there are some females out there with a gray wash also like the males or whoever wrote that article didn't have first hand experience - who knows :p

You need to consider the source - Until I find out otherwise I tend to stick with what the Parrotlet Ranch posts on the Lucida.

Sandee Molenda of the Parrotlet Ranch was the first to discover the Sub Species although there is a reference to them by Karl Plath the Chicago Zoo curator in 1932.

Here is the link to Sandee Melinda's report on them. She only mentions the gray wash over the male.
http://www.parrotletranch.com/thelostlucida.html

I know for sure Penny is a Lucida as Sandee was her breeder and she doesn't have the gray wash over her, she's very green compaired to my male. Thats not to say its impossible for there to be females out there with the gray wash - I haven't seen one or even a picture of one yet. But with all the home breeders out there now who knows what is being produced :rolleyes:

I just noticed if you look at my Avatar you can see the gray wash over Rupert compaired to Penny (Penny's on ther right). Thats not the lighting - she's much more green.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts