Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Pacific North-West Heat Wave

904 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  aqueilo 
#1 ·
I’m in Vancouver and we’re having an unusual heat wave here. Temperatures have been 30 to 35 Celsius lately. That’s about 86 to 95 F.

This doesn’t seem to bother Ciro, my parrotlet, at all. I’m assuming temperatures in Equador where they originate from are usually quite high.

I’m hoping to hear from people who live in normally hot climates. Are these temperatures okay for parrotlets?

Oh, and if you’re in Texas, feel free to laugh at me, just as I laughed at you when you got an inch of snow and it was like the world was ending.

#2 ·
They'll be okay if you're feeling okay! As long as there is water and shade available and potentially a fan or AC. It's quite hot here in Ontario too, but this is normal for us (higher fluctuations from super cold to super hot). Monty seemed to be totally okay a few weekends ago outside in the heat. Just monitored him for signs he was hot.

#3 ·
Our vet told us that anything less than 100 degrees F is fine for these little birds. After that, AC helps them as much as it does us so long as you don't have it directly blowing on the bird. We find we have to mist Magellan every now and then when the AC is on because it takes the moisture out of the air.

#4 ·
P'letts are hardy. I live in Florida where we have 290 days of 93 degrees-plus weather a year. It is hot and humid and the humidity is what you have to watch out for. Keep the humidity down. The last 10 years in Florida have been the hottest on record and it is getting hotter! Our pollen rates have been off the scale! My poor wife has allergies all year long whereas she used to have them only 8 months out of the year.
If you see your bird lift its wings away from its body, you know it is too hot , but never point a fan or AC vent towards your bird.

Dave

#6 ·
To be honest the temps will bother you more than him. They have a pretty good thermal system to regulate their core temperature with. Watch for panting. If you see that make cold water bath available (cup or bowl of cool water). For cooling they tend to use their feet so do not be surprised if their feet look more pinkish than normal.

#7 · (Edited)
I do not have air conditioning in my home since I live on the coast where it seldom gets hot enough to really need it. But the first summer I had Cleopatra, one day the temp went up to the mid to high nineties and my home got up to 90 degrees inside. That is when Cleopatra started panting. It really scared me, but I was able to get the temp down by placing a big bowl of ice in front of a fan. It helped bring the temperature down enough that she was okay. After that I purchased a portable air-conditioner. In three years, I have only used it once or twice, but that is okay - it gives me peace of mind. So just letting you guys know that it was at 90 degrees that my bird started having problems. Living near the coast it gets humid here so that may have played a factor also.

#8 ·
I am also on the coast. Today it is very windy, so maybe the heat wave will end. Apple Watch is saying it’s 23 C outside, and yesterday it was 35 C. The thermostat in the house is saying 30.5 C.

Of course, it’s still early, so it could heat up during the day.

Ciro has just finished splashing around in his water bowl. Now he’s sitting right in the sun preening. He seems fine. I’m sweating.

#11 ·
Well glad to hear all is good for you and Ciro! I have air conditioning, It's absolutely essential when you have months at a time in Las Vegas that are regularly over 100° and up to 116°.
I would say It's just good to always know the signs if your bird is overheating. If they are too hot they will lift their wings up to try and cool themselves, open their beak and even start panting. If they are getting too hot, you should make sure they have water to drink and then put their feet into some cool water as well to try and return them to a normal temperature.

Reactions: aqueilo
#12 ·
I just read in the news that we had temperatures as high as 121 degrees during this heat wave. This was no joke. Over 700 people in British Columbia died from it.

An entire town burned to the ground. Lytton, BC.

Ciro survived though! He didn’t even seem to notice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.