Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we had an uneventful evening going until I decided to use the broiler for the first time in a range that we had delivered a month ago. I started to preheat the broiler and within a minute or two could smell fumes coming from the kitchen. Talk about full alert...the windows were already open but I started fans and yelled for my boys to get the budgies caged and I grabbed Kiwi, put her in her smaller cage that I could easily move and ran upsides to the farthest part of the house away from the odor. The budgies were also rounded up within the minute and we got them safely out of the area. :eek:

Unbelieveable the intensity of that unit. It took over an hour for me not to smell the fumes once the unit was turned off. I kept the birds upstairs for the night to ensure that they were okay and brought them back down this morning.

Just a heads up to all of you with new units such as a range to clear the area for the first time using the broiler. Also, if anyone uses space heaters in their homes please be careful with fumes from those units as they can affect the birds horribly.

That's my saga for the day...hopefully that's the last. The unit also has a self cleaning option that I never plan to use due to the whole house would be hit with those fumes and can easily kill the birds.

that's my safety alert for the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
I had an event like that . I burned popcorn in the microwave. I grabbed Bitsey Jo covered her and put her on the porch while I set up a fan to draw the smoke out. My micro is still not the same. I leave a bowl of charcoal in it all the time now when it's not in use. Will the burned popcorn smell ever leave???? I've cleaned it with everything I can think of. It's shiney clean and smells terrible. Jo was fine but a little confused about the quick trip outside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that happened with popcorn in our microwave...what a horrible odor! I remember making a paste of baking soda/water and scrubbing the inside and then I think I left a bowl of baking soda in the microwave. I can't remember how long I had to do that and then the unit quit a few months later and we're with a new one...hopefully no more popcorn burns.

I can only imagine Bitsey Jo's confusion...probably the same look Kiwi gave me last night since I grabbed her and ran. Within a few minutes though, the budgies and Kiwi was chattering back and forth.

I yelled at my husband to get out of the area since he's asthmatic...he ignored me...can't cage him and run :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
That is such a scary event!! I'm glad everything turned out ok. I hope if we ever get a new stove, I can remember your experience.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top