TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Been a long time lurker on the forum, but never got around to asking questions on training and bonding tips since there's been many helpful and useful information in this forum on parrotlets! I have a 2 year old female parrotlet that I've brought home from a pet store about 8 months now and bonding with her was almost smooth sailing. I don't believe that she's uncomfortable with me since she allows me to give her scritches and all that, but it definitely seems that she's weary of whatever is outside. I've practiced a lot with training her to step up and target training, but one problem is that when I begin to move towards the door, she's flys back to her cage. I do realize that she does it out of fear and discomfort, but I'm wondering if there's anything better that I can do to get her to come outside and realize that it's not so bad outside? Anything helps and thanks again!

Here's a quick picture of her

Attachments

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I find that sitting next to the cage with the door open and just do your thing. My gut will come out now and climb over tot he edge closest to me and peer around to look at my lap top. If I move my hand he scurries back inside.

As of yesterday we have a new game, he climbs to the top (I always could get him to step up from the top), he actually calls for my attn. Now when I move to get up he flies over to his play gym which is next to his cage. He actually gets all tall and it looks like he is laughing lol.

I dont mind because he is now exploring his play gym.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
She is a cutie! I have read once before of a parrotlet that was scared of doorways, which might be what your bird is scared of. One thing you can try is to give her treat as you are walking toward and through the door, so she can see that it is something not to be afraid of.

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
My thing with Jules and Bo was to make the outside of the cage be a bit like the inside. Add some perches, coop cups with treats, toys, etc. Do that and leave the door open and they found their way out. i do agree that door ways and entrances are an issue. So anything to get them to come through the door on their own is good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts